THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 03-28-2022, 02:19 PM

Default OBD2 scanners

Do you have a favorite brand/model? The options out there seem endless.

Old 03-28-2022, 02:50 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have one that does OBD2, ABS, and SRS. I got it from autozone.

Old 03-28-2022, 03:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have an Autel MS 808. This is the second Autel scan tool I have owned. I really like them. Multi-function, tons of coverage, strong bi-directional control. Reliable and easy to use. VIN Decoder is excellent. Little pricey for an average home mechanic. So I would consider buying a used one a couple years old. I sold my 4 year old one for $300.00 and the guy got a great scan tool at a good value. It all depends what you want to do with it. If all you want is codes, you can get a phone app and a cable for $10.00 to get generic codes. A tool like the Autel will do allot. Had mine on a 2016 Traverse Saturday that had bi-directional control of all 27 computers. Program keys, do various re-learns, re-set maintenance items, initiate TPMS sensors. Tons of stuff. It does about 80% of what a factory specific scan tool will do.

The Following User Says Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2022, 03:21 PM

On the cheap side, you can get a cheapo bluetooth ODB scanner for like 13 bucks, then download Torque Pro for android for $5 or 10 bucks and it will do a whole bunch of stuff. Even able to customize it to tell me my transmission temperature for my chrysler.

Old 03-28-2022, 04:19 PM

I bought the BluDriver scanner for the Avalanche and is real simple to use. It costs about 100 through Amazon and works with a phone app.

Old 03-28-2022, 05:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've got the Blue Driver. I like it, they keep it well updated. I have the app on my phone and just keep the dongle in the glove box. So basically anytime I'm in the truck I'd be able to scan it.

Old 03-28-2022, 06:41 PM
Senior Chief

All depends on your budget and what you want the tool to do for you. At school we have several that we teach the students on. Blue Driver is an excellent scanner for the price, and since it sends data to your own device, obsolescence isn't a concern. Also, it will read as many cars as you want without a subscription. It's only downside is it only reads data, it's not bi-directional. If you just want to read codes this is the best buy.

Auto Ingenuity is similar in operation to Blue Driver but highly advanced if you want to get into the weeds, it's bluetooth, but it requires a laptop and it is bi-directional which means you can activate modules and sensors. You can also set a bunch of senors to read on charts at the same time for live data which is very helpful.

We also have several Autel's which are my favorite. We have 3 MS906 Pros and 3 small basic hand helds. They Pros are bluetooth, bi-directional, capable of graphs, TPMS sensor programming, key fob programming, we've flashed some PCM's, endless list of functions and easy to use.
Some require a subscription.

The downside of dedicated scanners is they eventually become obsolete and useless. The best way is to buy a blutooth dongle that plugs in to the port and use your own electronics. Having the ability to view live data is also essential to diagnosis. Just because you get a code, it doesn't mean that particular part is bad. You still have to diagnose.

Before you buy make sure of how many cars you can scan for free. And a full understanding of how to access updates and how much they cost.

Also there are online services like Identifix and Shop Key that can help you diagnose based on the number of repairs for that vehicle once you get a code and they have factory service manuals. These are subscription. Also there is All Data that lets you view factory service data. There's not much you can do on late model vehicles without wiring diagrams and service information.

Old 03-29-2022, 09:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

X2 on the blue tooth ones to plug into the port & get the torque app for your phone. reads codes plus shows real time data from any sensors the car has. can customize the screen to show any combo of sensors & gauge types. i use the BAFX brand you can get on ebay for about $20 & they have great reviews for reliability & function, the super cheap ones are known to crap out pretty quick.

Old 03-29-2022, 10:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoovDaddy View Post
Auto Ingenuity is similar in operation to Blue Driver but highly advanced if you want to get into the weeds, it's bluetooth, but it requires a laptop and it is bi-directional which means you can activate modules and sensors. You can also set a bunch of sensors to read on charts at the same time for live data which is very helpful.
Just wanted to add to this that AutoEnginuity (Now purchased by Opus) also has an ipad version; I've started using that instead of laptop. They're local to me in Mesa, AZ, and very responsive to tech questions. The generic OBD II software is free and stays up to date, but you have to purchase subscriptions to enhanced features (like bi-directional controls, and seeing modules beyond generic OBD II) for each manufacturer. I currently have the GM and the Ford enhanced features, and I'm debating what to get for my third one. (It's $150/yr to renew enhanced features for up to 3 manufacturers, so I'm wasting a little bit of money by only renewing 2 each year.)

Our local MATCO tool truck sells a nice $10,000 scanner that'll read heavy duty trucks and all cars, but I think the subscription is around $3,000/yr. Not very cost effective for a hobbyist. That one is a MATCO brand, but based on and built by Launch (which I believe has the same features for a lower price).

Old 03-29-2022, 07:36 PM

Thanks guys for the ideas. I am definitely on the lower end of needs (read codes/fix/reset) so glad to see there are good options. Thanks for recommended brands from experience.

Old 03-29-2022, 10:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

IMO=
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09KZTYD18...v_ov_lig_dp_it