THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 12-26-2021, 06:26 PM
Senior Chief

Default Convertible top motors and pumps

I have a pile or so of used motors and pumps, does anyone buy theses to refurbished? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 12-27-2021, 09:11 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I would try these guys:

www.hydroe.com/convertible-top-parts

Mark O.

Old 12-27-2021, 11:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I opened the non-working original pump motor in my '64, cleaned it and got it working like new. Bought a seal kit but was able to reuse the original molded seal between case halves because the kit included an o-ring, the molded seal not available apparently. IIRC, I also bought a couple other o-rings because the kit had the wrong size. I wasn't convinced the case o-ring would be effective so I cleaned the molded seal and it worked great.

I did buy new lift cylinders, I concluded they could not be readily rebuilt.

I liked keeping the pump motor original with proper p/n stamping even though nobody would see it. I cleaned and spray painted the exterior to mimic the look of plating. I think it came out great. The seal kit was cheap. But I would guess very few guys would be as anal about originality as I tried to be so likely would take the easier and more certain path of buying a new pump motor.

I doubt you could sell cores for much. If mine had been previously replaced I probably would not have sought an "original" and surely would not have paid even half of a new one for a core that might work after "rebuilding". JMO