Old 09-26-2022, 03:20 PM

Default Chet Herbert Roller Lifters

Meant to say "Doug" Herbert in the title.

I did search before posting and only found really older threads on these. Butler site says these now have pressure fed needle bearings.

I'm experiencing the "price to good to be true" syndrome as they are half the cost of the other brands; why is this?

I spoke with Herbert Cams and they told me the same story I always used to hear about flat tappet lifters; in that there are only 3 companies that make the lifter bodies and so that apparently includes roller lifter bodies.

I caught a roller lifter axle starting to fail (normal end of life fatigue wear) after investigating cause of excessive lash (.048) on #2 exh and .035) on #1 exhaust. All others were holding their lash right where I left them. These were used Crane lifters and I don't know the usage history on them.

So I'm in the market for a set of roller lifters and regardless what goes back in the lash will be checked after every race/.drive to keep eye on things. I am considering these Doug Herbert pressure fed needle roller lifters.

https://butlerperformance.com/i-2445...tegory:1234801

Anybody know why they are so inexpensive compared to all the other brands and does anyone have any bad stories to tell about the newer Doug Herbert pressure fed needle roller lifters.

Hoping to hear good things ...thanks!

Added picture of worn Crane lifter just for general interest of roller lifter wear stages. At this stage the needles were still all intact but their surfaces were rough and no longer like glass; the wheel was nice on outside with slightly rough bore that matched the needles surface condition.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220922_083754.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	599369  

Last edited by RBAILEY; 09-26-2022 at 03:53 PM.
Old 09-26-2022, 04:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

These days the SR Herbert lifters are made by Morel. Howard’s sells the exact same lifter by Morel. I have a set I run on a hybrid set up. Restricted oiling is usually recommended with them. Link bars are riveted instead of bolted.

Old 09-27-2022, 11:40 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I had a set of Herbert solid roller lifters that well over 1500 runs with no problems

Old 09-27-2022, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken MacNicol View Post
I had a set of Herbert solid roller lifters that well over 1500 runs with no problems
Thanks Ken. Thats a lot of runs. How big is/was the Camshaft.

Old 09-28-2022, 11:06 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

273/279

Old 09-28-2022, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken MacNicol View Post
273/279

Thanks, I should have mentioned that my cam is 760 lift and springs are 280 seat and 733 open

I have since spoke with someone at Butler and he did not recommend the Doug Herberts for my cam/spring combo.

But if any of you out there running an aggressive 760 solid roller with Doug Herbert solid roller lifters I'd like to hear about it.

I'm shopping for a "more expensive" solid roller lifter now.

I'm not interested in bushed but want something with oil pressure fed needles.

Roller lifter needs max seat height of 1.720 as I don't want to buy another new set of $400.00 pushrods. The Cranes I was running have a seat height of 1.705 and those were old school with no pressure oiling to the axle and I cant find anyone making a lifter with that seat height.

Do any of you know which manufactures have solid roller lifters with the 1.720 seat height besides Crower? Not that I have anything against Crower stuff but I'm just looking to see what my options are.

Old 09-28-2022, 12:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Regarding the Crower High Pressure Pin Oiling (HIPPO). They are now doing it to both sides of the axle as an option.

Sponsor of the world's fastest Pontiac powered Ford Fairmont (engine)
5.14 at 140 mph (1/8 mile) , true 10.5 tire, stock type suspension
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDoJnIP3HgE
Old 09-28-2022, 06:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The Morel produced lifters are used by lots of cam manufacturers. In addition to those mentioned, Bullet cams and Ultradyne also use the Morel lifters. I have had one single lifter that would not oil through the seat like the other 15. We always prime the oiling circuit and verify a complete oil path. This one lifter had some internal issue. I could not take it apart to see what exactly was wrong. The riveted tie bar would not allow the plunger to be removed for inspection. They replaced the lifter without question and no other issues..