Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-22-2022, 02:04 PM
Boost Engineer

Default I have posted many threads over the years

about aero effects of vehicles.

So if you are lazy like me, trust the guys doing the testing to do it right, etc,
it really does not matter whose name is on the vehicle.

I did the first Lightning Truck, the 2nd and 3rd Lightning trucks, and a guy I used to work with in Research is the Manager of the E-Boost technology in the Electric Vehicle organization.

A Bit of History, I went to a drag strip on time and got to see and talk to a crazy man racer named EJ Potter. EJ was known for racing a two wheel motorcycle with a SB Chevy engine sitting sideways in the frame.

But he also did the FIRST RACING ELECTRIC MOTORED vehicle raced on a drag strip.

https://www.greencarreports.com/news...ine-and-cables

The Super Slot Car itself was the stripped shell of a small MG 1100 front-wheel-drive two-door sedan, with four 200-horsepower electric jet-engine starter motors, one per wheel. 800 electric HP.

The electric HP came from a Generator mounted on a trailer and the generator used a Allison V-12 engine to drive the generator see photo.

The car was quick for its time: The Super Slot Car reportedly ran the quarter-mile in the low 10-second range, with a trap speed of 120 mph. Not bad for half a century ago. Many "street cars" were nowhere near a 10 second et in the quarter.

So back to the present time:

This Mule F-100 Electric truck was faster that any of the Gas Powered Lightning trucks we sold to the public, even with a supercharger installed.

The point being, ever with a terrible, ugly aero body, it was quicker and faster than the best production Lightning truck we ever sold.

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/1...722250CBB15AEC

So when people say performance is dead, I say you are just seeing another way to quickly run a quarter mile.

I remember when the Drag Strip owners told Ohio George Montgomery to leave the Twin Turbo mustang at home "because the crowds want the noise vs the quick times".

So this is not about brands, I have included EJ's SB Chevy Motorcycle, his electric slot car, info on the different Lightning trucks, (boosted and NA) and
an example of the new Electric vehicle technology in a non aero vehicle.

Boosting suffered thru the early years, same deal with the traditional V-8s vs the Flatheads, and now the Electric stuff vs the piston stuff.

The new Lightning Truck technology has nothing to be ashamed of.

Tom V.

Mods, put the topic in the lobby if it fits there better.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.