Old 06-14-2022, 04:40 PM

Default 66 Tri power and HEI distributer, what to use?

a friend has a 66 tripower on a 75 455 in his 57 Star Chief, he has a GM HEI but since it is so large it will not clear the rear carb. He would really like to go with a HEI, he has tried the Petronix and has not enjoyed them.

What are you guys using?

I'll pass on what comments you have posted

Thanks, Mark

Old 06-14-2022, 04:45 PM

Putting a points distributor in it would be simple and inexpensive. I had one on my daily driver 455 with a ‘66 Tri-Power and checked the dwell once in 30k miles, always started with a flick of the key. Stock coil too.

It’s not like they’re unreliable, a little attention now and then but not particularly maintenance heavy.

Sorry if I’m no help with the HEI, I just see no reason for one on a hobby car especially with the clearance issue.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to b-man For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2022, 06:02 PM
Boost Engineer

I see no reason to run a HEI after having 5 of the POS HEI Modules fail in my 1978 Trans Am.
POINTS FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 06-14-2022, 07:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I like points as well. Some guys will run a pertronix module in a points distributor. If you opt for a pertronix module, I would recommend keeping a set of points/condenser in the glove box in case the module fails.

Old 06-14-2022, 07:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have had zero with the first gen Pertronix which is still made in the USA,have not tried the later versions.FWIW,Tom

Old 06-14-2022, 08:56 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I’ve got Petronix 2 in a points distributor. Works great. Having read the stories I have a back up in glove box, but have not needed it. I think having all the motor and frame ground straps is important to Petronix working

Old 06-14-2022, 10:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There is a guy that I have heard of that takes a original size 1960s era Pontiac distributors and somehow converts them to run the GM HEI electronics.

I think his website is something like: "small cap or small body HEI." His distributor mod WILL fit a 65 or 66 GTO with an original Tri-power intake.

Old 06-14-2022, 10:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Dave’s Small Body HEI,don’t think he is taking new biz right now?Tom

Old 06-15-2022, 06:15 AM

He has had similar problems with the Petronix, that is the reason he would like to go to a HEI setup. Jegs has 2 distributers that look like they will work. One that runs with a coil and one that runs with a CDI box. I like the idea of Dave's Small Cap HEI better, I will have to get in contact and see if he will take on this project

The problem Denny is having with his points setup is that every so often he is loosing spark while driving the car. He has replaced the coil twice, the condensor , cap and rotor. He has good power through the wiring that connects everything, but it is still baffling him. He told me last night he has another complete points setup along with a GM coil coming again today to try to get the car started again.
He just would like to go to the HEI for the reliability of it. He told me he ordered Blue Streak points this time, hopefully that will solve it.

Old 06-15-2022, 08:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

M&H single wire points conversion works very well & is reliable.

Old 06-15-2022, 04:33 PM

Thanks for the comments guys, I am seeing my friend in the AM and I will pass along all your comments.
Much appreciated, Mark