THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 03-28-2010, 11:15 PM

Default depression

I fell at work and hurt my neck and back.I have been fighting workers comp for a year and a half.I am on antidepressantts and a pleathora of pain pills cant work on my cars anymore.I just wnted to let everyone know I love all of yall.

Old 03-28-2010, 11:37 PM

Good luck with that, it's a tough road. I've known several people who've had to deal with it and the number seems to be growning.

Mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 03-29-2010, 12:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman View Post
I fell at work and hurt my neck and back.I have been fighting workers comp for a year and a half.I am on antidepressantts and a pleathora of pain pills cant work on my cars anymore.I just wnted to let everyone know I love all of yall.
I am like that all the time, Just to let you know that you are not the only one, Good Luck.

Old 03-29-2010, 07:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have been through that for a few years. I finally found a pain clinic and they were great. I had three rounds of shots in my back about 3 times. When he finally hit the right places I was fixed. He said it was only good for 3 years. Almost to the day 3 years later I was back in foir another treatment but that was 7 years ago and still no problem. I roof houses sheetrock and a lot more heavy lifting with no problems now. When this started I couldnt hold a cup of coffee in my right hand. Find a good pain clinic worth every penny.

Old 03-29-2010, 03:09 PM

thanks everyone its nice that some care.

Old 03-29-2010, 03:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ultraman,

I believe almost everybody here cares about you quite a bit. Hang in there. Drop me a private message any time.

I looked at your "profile" and saw that you are interested in astronomy. I have abrother who was really into that stuff a few years ago. He is a common working class guy (an underground coal miner in WV). He self-educated himself in astronomy and became very knowledgable about it. One time about 30 years ago he saw something in the night sky that he "knew" wasn't supposed to be there. He promptly called up the Naval Observatory about it and they said he was the eighth person in the country who had called in and reported the same thing. He still keeps up with astronomical things but not as active as he used to be. One time he showed me a star (not the Sun) in the middle of the day.

Keep your head up and keep looking up!

Old 03-29-2010, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman View Post
I fought (and won) against WC. They are ruthless, but you need to have more determination then they do. Their sole job is to make you sssoooo discouraged that you just say "the heii with it" and walk away. They have won if you do this. Stay focussed and take what meds you need and WIN. This will go along way towards fighting your depression too.

You have a lot of support here.

A proud Veteran who is the proud son of a Veteran and the proud father of a Veteran

"Political Correctness: A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media; which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 03-29-2010, 05:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The W/C thing is a real pain as has already been said. In July 2008 I ruptured a fascia band in my left foot getting out of the truck I drove and stepped on something sharp which ruptured the fascia band. Employer which is self insured denied my claim and I had to fight for 6 months before winning. Now after 6 months with no treatment the point of healing was pretty much past. I fortunately found a great foot orthopedic doctor that finally found the ruptured band which none of the other doctors had taken the time to find out why I was in constant pain. He put me in a hard cast for a month and finally got it to heal somewhat. Then 2 months of physical rehab I finally returned to work Dec 2009, my foot wasn't perfect but as my doctor told me as good as it was going to get.

I go back to work and I need retraining as I haven't worked in 17 months and during my retraining with my trainer we go to load a load of diesel fuel and when we pull under the loading rack one of the loading arms has been leaking profusely for what I found out later over 2 weeks and there was diesel fuel everywhere in the bay. I stepped up on a platform to stow the loading arm and when I stepped down I slipped in the diesel fuel and fell backwards and tried to catch myself and injured my left wrist. I thought it was sprained and continued to work for 2 more weeks and it was still swollen and wasn't getting any better. I finally went to ER and had it Xrayed and they thought it was broken but wanted me to see an orthopedic Dr. the next day. Turns out it's not broken but the cartilage is all compacted and needs surgery. I decided to have it done on my own and had my personal insurance pay for it so I don't have to wait for W/C and maybe risk the same problem of waiting too long and not have it heal properly. Now the employer denies it and says I injured it previously and I'm fighting another claim again.

I know it's really hard not to be depressed but you will make it through this. I hired a W/C attorney both times and I know from going through it twice now I would never try to go it alone without an attorney. Mine works on 33% commission and though it's a lot of money to give up, I doubt I could have won my case on my own. My advise pay them 33% of what you'll get rather than try it on your own and have 100% of nothing.

My last injury I got pretty depressed too and they put me on some anti depression pills which did nothing for me basically. I did some research online and found a natural compound called 5 HTP. Upon reading I found out you can't take them with prescription antidepressants so I weaned off the script and started taking 2 of these each day for about 3 months. I have to say I have taken a few antidepressants over the years but the 5 HTP worked better for me than any of the previous meds did without side effects.

I'll pray for you about your situation and if I can help in any way please PM me on PY or E mail me at Sirrotica@att.net. Prayer has worked for me in the past and hopefully it can help you in this bad time in life.

Brad Yost

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 03-29-2010, 05:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Buck up little camper!

Depression sucks, and even though it may feel like little comfort, you have plenty of friends here. Even though you've never met some of them.

Old 03-29-2010, 07:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Smile

All the best Ultraman !!!.

Old 03-29-2010, 07:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hang in the buddy. There is always some to look forward to every morning!

69 Firebird 400 Burgandy/Black
70 Olds Rallye 350 F85 4 speed 3.91's
70 Olds Cutlass Cruiser Red Wagon 350 101k miles 15 sec 1/4 12 sec w 455
74 Cheyenne Super C10 LWB Gen 6 454 w ZZ502 cam 3.07gear 13.1 1/4, 8.3 1/8
2020 RAM 1500 SLT 4x4 5.7 A8 Hemi
2007 Hummer H3 3.7 liter turd
2019 Chevy Spark petrol car 38 mpg
Old 03-29-2010, 08:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I can definately relate. Made it throught the stress induced depression only to be involved in a rear end collision. The wreck was on June 25th last year. I had one Ortho surgeon tell me to live with the pain. I fired him. Found another that has done a lot better. I have had one surgery for torn cartlidge on my left wrist. 2 injections in my right wrist and it still hurts. Follow up on the 15th of April to decide what to do with it. The best part is tomorrow morning I meet with the nuerosurgeon again to discuss the 3 level fusion to fix my neck. Ugghhhh I love headaches. NOT.
Just remember what Shane "footsteps" Falco said in the "Replacements" "Pain Heals, chicks dig scars and Glory last forever"

patrick

Old 03-29-2010, 09:12 PM
Suspended

Remember God only gives you what he thinks you can handle.Stay strong

Old 03-29-2010, 09:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

good luck, man!!

Old 03-29-2010, 10:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My wife was a police officer that got hurt wrestling with a gunman and spend many years fighting with workers comp. She finally won but the pain's still there. Bottom line is.....workers comps sucks. Hang in there and our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Old 03-29-2010, 10:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar-Pontiac View Post
Remember God only gives you what he thinks you can handle.Stay strong
X2 Amen.

patrick

Old 03-30-2010, 12:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Depression is one of the hardest illnesses to treat . It's often misdiagnosed and in a lot of cases is not treated properly. Not enough is known about it, and that's why you need to hang on and remember that there are people who have gone through the same thing and know what you are going through.

My wife suffers from it and at times I was hopeless in dealing with it. But she still managed to get through it and now she's vice president of a large international property mangement firm. My problem now, is that my 15 year old daughter is showing signs of depression and I'm preparing to go down that long road again. So don't feel alone, brother. It's more common than you may know. At least now there is more understanding and knowledge about it.

Old 03-30-2010, 06:45 PM

thanks again everyone

Old 03-30-2010, 08:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I went through a lot of med treatments for liver disease. Lose hair and horrific body aches and symptoms..... Last go round doc put me on codeine for muscle and joint pain. It was a double edged sword. I became addicted to having them and I was abusing them. From a healthy and clear headed point of view now, I will give my opinion.

Stay away from pain meds if you can (or minimize). They are usually opiate derived or some kind of synthicized opiate like drug. Bad news, but they DO help pain.

I found 3-4 Ibuprofens a couple or few times a day when in bad pain, and medical use of pot in conjunction with can provide almost as good pain relief as codiene or similar...... without the strong muscled monkey latching on to your back.

walking is the best therapy you can do, walk even a tiny bit if you can, it will help. When you get healthy again, try some moderate weight lifting to build a healthy back again. I broke my back in 1984 and you can come back from back injury, I have deadlifted 500 since a broken back.

That is just what I think in relation to me, I really am no one to give advice. Good luck brother.