Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 06-22-2010, 07:44 PM

Default 65 2+2 questions

hi I was lucky enough to buy a 65 2+2 with the original421 4bbl and drove it home.It seems to have a burnt exhaust valve.I have a good set of 13 or 16 heads to choose from Ialso can get a set of 4x or 6x8 heads what would be best for a street engine i plan on putting it in my 68 firebird? should I put a garden varity 400 back in it to sell? It has body and frame rust and no vin plate from it being stolen and recoverd.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I say go for the 13's and get a dished piston depending on your cam needs.

Old 06-23-2010, 06:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Save the orignal heads.
The number 13 and 16 heads will provide to much compression and cost a ton of money if you do not have then on hand already!

If your are just going to run the motor as is than find and rebuild a set of the large chamber 4X or 6X heads and mill them .070' on the deck and .055" on the intake suface.
If you will rebuild the motor first than using the higher comp heads and a dished piston becomes an option.
If you go with the 6X heads then while they are in the rebuilding process have the shop grind out the sharp lip left by the factory machining process in each exhaust bowl.

This takes all of 10 minutes per head and picks up 10 CFM of exh air flow per valve.

Also get the correct intake manifold gasket to match the latter heads to your mainfold and seal the exh crossover the needed way so you have no leaks.

note that most large chamber 4X heads will aslo need to be converted over to screw in rocker studs.

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!