Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 03-22-2010, 05:13 PM

Default which intake?

I have a 68 400 2bbl I ntend toinstall a ram air 3 cam and add a 4bbl tntake.I have a stok 4bbl intake a performer and a torker 2 to choose from. I plan on using a quadrajet carb.the engine has stock no 15 heads ,any suggestions? thanks all.

Old 03-22-2010, 05:19 PM
Senior Chief

Go with the stock iron!!

Old 03-22-2010, 07:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinjunTribe View Post
Go with the stock iron!!
I second that. You will be much happier with the stock iron.

Old 03-22-2010, 07:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The performer is the same as the stock one performance wise but lighter. So if weight matters go with the performer.

Karl

Old 03-22-2010, 07:56 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Pickup both, one in each hand, then decide which one you want to hold with stretched way over your fender.

The weight savings with the Edelbrock is significant. The stock iron intakes are pigs, and the later ERG intakes are even more so, on top of being ugly (you didn't mention which iron intake you had). A performer is a great intake for a mild street 400, such as the one you are building.

As to why one would be more or less happy with a stock intake here is a mystery. If you merely want a stock appearing car, sure, go stock, otherwise it's entirely up to you as to which you prefer. Between the two unmodified intakes, be it on the street, strip or dyno, you're not going to see a significant difference. The T-II with it's squarebore flange is perhaps less ideal with your plans to run a Q-jet, although a spreadbore is readily adapted if you have the hood clearance. For your intended RPM range the Torker II is a bit much, although it is a fantastic intake in the right setup.

From my track testing with a T-II, 68 iron intake and a performer intake on a 78 WS6 4spd 400 trans am using a "modern 068 cam," I'd wager that all three intakes would be within .2s/2mph on a 300-400hp build. I'd wager that the iron and performer would feel identical on the street, with the TII would feeling faster once the engine is above 3K RPMs, yet, overall, none really any faster then the other from idle to shift point. The performer and stocker did get better mpg then the T-II. However, the T-II is an atypical single plenum intake in that the idle and vacuum characteristics of this intake are extremely mild mannered and not much degraded from the dual plenum manifolds. I've also ran all 3 of these intakes (along with a Street Dominator, an RPM and a heavily modified old iron intake ala Jim Hand) on my 68 GTO and came to the same general conclusions as above regarding the 3 intakes in question.

Part of The Harem:

Last edited by Socrates; 03-22-2010 at 08:03 PM.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Stock

79 Trans AM 406 #12 heads Torker II intake Crower 60210 750 holley vac. sec. T400 3500 Stall 3:73:1 rear. ECMTTFMFers. IHTTFMFers.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:58 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'd go with the Performer. It's much lighter than the stock iron and the hp diff between them won't out-weigh the weight saving from the aluminum intake.