EFI Tech All things EFI and making classics modern!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-16-2022, 08:02 PM
Senior Chief

Default FITECH wont start

About 2 months ago we converted my son's 79 camaro to a FITECH. Install went smooth and it fired right up. Last Friday he came home and parked it. It would not start Saturday. I checked all of the connections and fuses and tried it and it started and ran fine. I parked it and it would not start 30 minutes later.

We ran through all the connections again and they all looked good. I checked the white wire at the FITECH connector and it lights my light at crank and run. We switched out the HEI module and coil as we had spares and no change.

I checked the pump and it was getting power and you could hear it engage.

I dribbled some fuel down the throttle body and it started right up so I am getting spark.

I'm pretty sure we aren't getting fuel so I put a scrap piece of braided line on the outlet side of the filter to make sure we didn't have a blocked filter as he had just filled up and maybe got some dirty gas????

When he cranked the car, the line shot a steady stream of gas into a gas can so the pump is pushing fluid and it is making it through the filter. All of the lines are still as they were run with no kinks.

We also put the battery on a charger for two days to make sure the FITECH was getting full voltage as I understand they can be sensitive to that. When we were trouble shooting it on Sunday, I watched the handheld and voltage was dropping into the 6-7 range during cranking.

My first instinct would be the ECU but it links with the handheld with no errors. It shows changing inputs on the handheld during cranking. The handheld goes to run mode of cranking when you turn the key. The fuel pump shows 100% on the handheld when you turn the key. The one thing I did notice is that the injector duty cycle never read more than 0 %.

Any thoughts? I'll be calling FITECH tomorrow.