Old 05-15-2013, 09:23 AM
Senior Chief

Default Engine sits too low

Anybody had this problem, did not notice anything odd until I put the fan on. The engine sits about .75-1 inch low. The car had chinese motor mounts when I got it, just wonder if that could be the problem. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:34 AM

Probably so. IF nothing else has changed then the mounts are the most likely suspect.
Mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 05-15-2013, 11:59 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

It could also be the radiator too high with improper mounts, or core support bushings installed wrong. Good luck Trent

Old 05-15-2013, 12:37 PM
Senior Chief

the crossmember that goes under the engine could be fatiqued and has sagged,very common on these A-bodys,..a symptom of this also is that you can't get enough camber in your alignment(little or no shims at the upper control arms)

Old 05-16-2013, 09:02 AM
Senior Chief

Transmission crossmember can be to high where the transmission mounts.
Common if you use floor jack at the wrong possition.

`70 GTO, 370 hp, 3:90, TH400.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesugar View Post
the crossmember that goes under the engine could be fatiqued and has sagged,very common on these A-bodys,..a symptom of this also is that you can't get enough camber in your alignment(little or no shims at the upper control arms)
What is a tall tell this happened to the frame?

Car is a junk yard dog and maybe one day will be restored.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Have pulled & sold becoux '64-72 A-body frames. Frame cradle sag is very common in high mile A-bodys. Esp, 68-72's with heavy engines. Heavier the engine & components under the hood, couple with a lot of hard miles, the cradle will sag. Northern & seaboard cars whose frames tend to rust more seem to have their share of problems. 6 cyl & lighter small block cars seems to have frames that suffered less.

In a pinch, I've taken a a pair of welding vice grips, laid the loose frame brackets out on a length of 1/8" steel plate I have, then ran the plasma cutter & traced out a pair of thin spacers. Burn some holes for the bolts, little work with the grinder, then sandwich the spacers between the brackets & the frame. Can reuse, the original mtg bolts. On my Pontiac A-bodys, the nuts & lockwashers are mounted on top. the head of the bolt is under the cradle, thats how they were built.

Old 05-16-2013, 04:56 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol Pinion head View Post
Have pulled & sold becoux '64-72 A-body frames. Frame cradle sag is very common in high mile A-bodys. Esp, 68-72's with heavy engines. Heavier the engine & components under the hood, couple with a lot of hard miles, the cradle will sag. Northern & seaboard cars whose frames tend to rust more seem to have their share of problems. 6 cyl & lighter small block cars seems to have frames that suffered less.

In a pinch, I've taken a a pair of welding vice grips, laid the loose frame brackets out on a length of 1/8" steel plate I have, then ran the plasma cutter & traced out a pair of thin spacers. Burn some holes for the bolts, little work with the grinder, then sandwich the spacers between the brackets & the frame. Can reuse, the original mtg bolts. On my Pontiac A-bodys, the nuts & lockwashers are mounted on top. the head of the bolt is under the cradle, thats how they were built.
Very nice solution,..however it does nothing to address the frame fatique,..it use to be so common (25 years ago(keep in mine that this was common)back at this time period) that frame straightening and alignment were done for approx. $250 at shops that could/would do it!,.now even my old cohorts can't tell or recommend were to take a car to have this done!!!,..I suppose we have to resort to offset upper A-arm shafts that they produce for sell for this purpose

Old 05-17-2013, 12:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Bluesugar, Have wrote here on PY on the subject of frame cradle sag many times. Some PY members did not know this was a problem..Have had many customers that resorted to the "crash shafts" you mentioned & had their GTO's, 442's, Chevelles at local large frame shop several times having the frame cradle chained down & jacked. Eventually the cradle sag returned. The only solution was to eventually replace the frame with a low mile frame from a clean Southwest car. That's often where I've come in, providing a clean frame.

Old 05-28-2013, 10:27 PM
Senior Chief

I still think it's the mounts, I measured everything on the frame when the body was off and it checked out good and with no shims the top of both wheels are leaned out several degrees.

Old 05-29-2013, 10:46 AM
Senior Chief

Did you install a new transmission mount? If so it is likely too thick. Most over the counter and NOS transmission mounts I've had we're too thick and need to be cut down slightly. A 1/8" too high mount at the transmission will make 1/2" to 3/4" at the fan.

Old 05-31-2013, 02:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It is amazing the things you learn about on this forum.....I've been in the
car repair business for 38 years and had never seen nor heard of cradle sag despite
hundreds of 68-72 A-bodies coming through my doors! I guess you never stop learning in
this hobby...that's what makes it so interesting!