Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 03-09-2005, 06:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

5 is much lighter than 10.

Old 03-09-2005, 06:27 AM
Senior Chief

good for winter only??? Lighter is better?

1967 Firebird 455 Th400
Old 03-09-2005, 07:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

NO!!! Just use 10/30 all year round.

Old 03-09-2005, 08:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

SLIPPERY=LESS FRICTION
LESS FRICTION=LESS DRAG
LEES DRAG=LESS HEAT
LESS HEAT=LESS WEAR
ALL ABOVE=MORE HP AND MPG FOR STREET CARS
NO ADDITIVE PACKAGE TO BURN AWAY
IF IT CLEANS OLD BUILD UP=CLEAN MOTOR,CHANGE THE FILTER MORE ON INITIAL USE
ALL A + IN MY BOOK.

CHANGE FILTER ONLY AT YOUR CHANGE INTERVAL & THEN OIL & FILTER ALTERNATING, WILL REDUCE COST BY 50%. SYN. OIL IS STILL OK..
REDUCES COLD START DAMAGE AS IT NEVER THICKENS AS CONVENTIONAL OIL DOES,GETS FLOWING MUCH QUICKER.

EVERY PONTIAC I HAVE HAD HAS SOME LEAKAGE AT REAR MAIN........IT'S A PONTIAC ! HAVEN'T TRIED A BOP SEAL BUT WILL NEXT REBUILD. THE PETTY PICKS DOESN'T STOP ME FROM USING IT IN MY VEHICLES. MY OIL PRESSURE DOESN'T SHOOT SKY HIGH WHEN COLD AND DROP DRASTICALY WHEN IT'S WARM.........I'D RATHER WIPE A LITTLE OIL OFF THE PAN THAN WONDER HOW THAT HOLE GOT IN THE SIDE OF OIL PAN.........

MAYBE SYN. OIL IS NOT FOR EVRYTHING OR EVERY BODY BUT I CAN'T FIND A REASON FOR NOT USING IT EXCEPT FOR MY 7.3 DIESEL, 16 QTS. AT A POP = $64.00 A CHANGE. IF I COULD FIND BY PASS FILTER SET UP FOR IT I WOULD.
DON'T FORGET SYN. GEAR LUBE EITHER.
YES.....I USED TO BE A AMS OIL DISRRIBUTOR.
WISH I STILL WERE.

ECM member.
2008 Outlaw Pontiac Drag Series Champion
MANDRA
Do it now fool! Life is short.

69 Grand Prix/3163lbs / IAII 535 w/ Tiger heads by Gaydosh....9.35@ 144 so far.. through mufflers. 1.26 60'.
Going back to track with pump gas engine....
My 60 Ventura retired to street/strip duty..
Old 03-09-2005, 08:36 AM

Now, having read all the posts, I have a work truch...FORD van with over 150K on it. Always change oil at 3K, and runs great, no leaks. However, with the cost of gas going UP UP UP, and a van that gets 11 MPG, if I can squeeze out another MPG by switching, I'd love to. Any reservations? Suggestions, advice????

Old 03-09-2005, 09:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

MILF:: THE MPG GAIN VS. THE COST WOULD TELL YOU.
CAN YOU INCREASE MPG ENOUGH TO AT BREAK EVEN ON ADDITIONAL COST OF SYNSETIC ???
THERE ARE ADDITIONAL BENIFITS FROM SYNSETICS OTHER THAN INCREASED MPG.....LIKE CAN YOU GET MORE TOTAL MILES OUT OF MOTOR BEFORE REBUILD?? WITH REGULAR OIL STILL BEING CHEAP AND CHEAP FILTERS I DON'T SEE YOU BREAKING EVEN...ON PAPER AT LEAST. YOU CAN'T PREDICT THE LONG RANGE BENIFITS. LIKE ENGINE WEAR,DOWN TIME FOR REPAIRS,ETC........
JMHO........

BTW; THEY DO MAKE A BLEND OF SYN./REGULAR OIL FOR LESS MONEY. I HAVEN'T TRIED IT.

ECM member.
MANDRA

69 Grand Prix/3163lbs / IAII 535 w/ Tiger heads by Gaydosh....9.35@ 144 so far.. through mufflers. 1.26 60'.
Old 03-09-2005, 09:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

60man, please reach over to the left side of your keyboard and take your machine off of caps lock. It makes your replies hard to read and is considered yelling.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 03-09-2005, 10:15 AM

My dad has built many racing engines and when I asked him about using synthetic vs regular oil he said...
If you're going to go synthetic, wait at least 1000 miles to switch. Give that fresh motor time to break in good. Once you switch to synthetic, don't go back to regular oil, ever.
If you are only driving the car during the summer months, it's okay to use regular oil because you're not putting that many miles on it. If you're worried about wear and breakdown, just change it more often (say every 1000 miles) and for sure at the beginning of the season. He also suggested using 10W 40 since that's what they used in these big motors.

So what am I going to do when my motor is broke in? I still don't know! The more I read this and the more I talk to my rellies, the more torn I am as to which way to go. I do know that my brother in law just put Valvoline 10W 40 in my fresh motor on Sunday as the 30 minute break in oil (just priming it..not ready to start, darn). Then we'll change it and he thinks 10W 40 is best too, especially during the extended break in period.

I guess changing oil more often doesn't really cost much compared to rebuilding the motor again.

Old 03-09-2005, 10:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by David Jones:
60man, please reach over to the left side of your keyboard and take your machine off of caps lock. It makes your replies hard to read and is considered yelling. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

SORRY DAVID. I JUST HAD ROTATER CUFF SURGERY AND ONLY TYPING WITH ONE HAND!!!!!!!!
IT WILL STOP SOON OR I'LL JUST LOOK DUMB ON USE ALL LOWER CASE...........

ECM member.
MANDRA

Old 03-09-2005, 10:47 AM
Senior Chief

I was shopping in Walmart this morning. I saw that Walmart had their own brand...I think it was called "spectra" (or something like that), of SYTHETIC OIL. A five quart container costs
$11.88 for FULL synthetic 10/30 oil. Apples to apples, a 5 quart converntional oil costs around $10.00. For $2 more, it would seem the synthetic use is a no brainer.
CHRIS

1967 Firebird 455 Th400
Old 03-09-2005, 10:52 AM
Senior Chief

GET WELL SOON!!!!!!

(all caps) lol

1967 Firebird 455 Th400
Old 03-09-2005, 10:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Toy4Chris:
GET WELL SOON!!!!!!

(all caps) lol </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

THANKS CHRIS.......I NOTED THE ALL CAPS
JUST HAD SURGERY LAST MONDAY AND I'M A PRISONER IN MY OWN HOUSE.....
BE OUT IN A WHILE. I JUST BELIEVE IN SYNSETICS BUT THEY ARE NOT FOR EVERYONE....THATS ALL.

ECM member.
MANDRA

Old 03-09-2005, 11:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Get well soon! I'm facing rotator surgery myself, right now I'm getting by on cortisone shots and limited use of my arms above my head. Type away upper case.

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 03-09-2005, 11:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Oh and since your bored how about dropping by my house and helping me put my engine back together......

Old 03-09-2005, 12:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">.... IF I COULD FIND BY PASS FILTER SET UP FOR IT I WOULD.
WISH I STILL WERE. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

???

if you could find a by-pass filter?

amsoil used to have, about 10 or 15 years ago, a pretty nice one. i know a few people that used it and were very happy. actually, i think i have one floating around in my parents basement somewhere.

is amsoil still in existance?

Old 03-09-2005, 12:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Has anybody here heard of Brad Penn Racing oil? I just bought 6 quarts of it from my machine shop - they are really high on it and it is going in all the roundy round motors they are sending out - it is a synthetic blend oil - I am gonna put the 10w30 in my car and try it out

Old 03-09-2005, 02:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by David Jones:
Get well soon! I'm facing rotator surgery myself, right now I'm getting by on cortisone shots and limited use of my arms above my head. Type away upper case. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I WAS BEYOND CORTISONE SHOTS.........I BLEW IT GOOD. HAD LEFT ONE DONE LAST YEAR...
HA!! I WOULDN'T BE BORED IF I COULD PUT MY NEW CAM IN MY MOTOR..
A WARNING....ROTATOR CUFF SURGERY = PAIN !! THANK GOD FOR PAIN PILLS....LET ME SEE--WHICH END IS UP ??
GOOD LUCK OR YOUR SURGERY...DON'T PUSH IT TOO SOON AFTER SURGERY WHAT EVER YOU DO !!! IT WILL HEAL.

ECM member.
MANDRA

Old 03-09-2005, 02:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by costs too much:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">.... IF I COULD FIND BY PASS FILTER SET UP FOR IT I WOULD.
WISH I STILL WERE. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

???

if you could find a by-pass filter?

amsoil used to have, about 10 or 15 years ago, a pretty nice one. i know a few people that used it and were very happy. actually, i think i have one floating around in my parents basement somewhere.

is amsoil still in existance? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I BELIEVE AMS OIL STILL LIVES. I USED TO HAVE A BY-PASS FILTER MYSELF BUT GAVE IT AWAY....DUH
I HAD ONE ON MY WORK TRUCK AND IT DID GREAT....SOLD IT WITH TRUCK.

ECM member.
MANDRA

Old 03-10-2005, 05:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 60man:
...I JUST BELIEVE IN SYNSETICS BUT THEY ARE NOT FOR EVERYONE....THATS ALL. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ditto, goes with my earlier comment about application and cost to benifit ratio.

BUT... If the Walmart brand is as good as Mobile 1 etc. that does change things a bit. Cheap insurance at that kind of cost to benefit ratio.

“The unexamined life is not worth living.”
― Socrates
“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato
Old 03-10-2005, 06:32 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Oil is a interesting and often heated topic. There seems to be good and bad points. I have used synthetic in my Pontiac with no problems. Zimmerman Brothers Racing said they were able to get 7 horse extra from synthetic.

One question that was asked earlier but never answered. Why do some camshaft manufacturs not recommend synthetics. Here might be some answers.

Use of Synthetic Oils
Crower does not recommend the use of synthetic motor oils in any racing applications, particularly hydraulic and flat tappet camshafts. The minimum gains in horsepower are offset by the excessive wear to cam and lifter surfaces. Crower recommends Kendall GT-1 (20W50) Petroleum based motor oil in all high performance applications. If your manual suggests running synthetic oil, then do so. We have found, however, that the benefits do not outweigh the costs. For additional information click here!

http://www.atis.net/oil_faq.html

2005 Norwalk Sat Top ET Winner!