Old 08-18-2016, 09:05 PM

Default '65 Safari rear suspension

I'm looking for someone else who has replaced rear springs, and shocks in a '65 Safari. Originals were replaced with Cargo Coils which were modified to fit, and Napa shocks. Springs are not bad, but I have encountered way too much bounce. I've heard that ESPO springs are a good choice?

The car is currently a 6 passenger, but I have a 3rd row to install. Chatted with ESPO today and they don't list a Safari as 6 or 9 when choosing springs.

Anyone have input, or a combination that has worked well for them?

Click image for larger version

Name:	wagon.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	434948

Old 08-19-2016, 03:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I haven't yet replaced the springs on my '66, but will probably call ESPO when I do. I've bought springs from them for other applications and they've always been great. (For my 67 Tempest wagon and for my 68 Cougar. Both long since gone.) They will custom make them however you want.

Old 08-19-2016, 03:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Check the shocks. They say coils set the height, shocks control bounce.

Old 08-20-2016, 11:56 AM

I've contacted ESPO for stock replacements. Front and rear are $190. From discussion they seem to be popular as are Bilstein shocks. I've replaced both rear springs, and shocks just not happy with the outcome. Cargo Coil spring had to be modified to fit which means I have no isolator either.

Old 08-20-2016, 04:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Eaton also does them (made them for GM when these cars were 1st Manuf.). You could replace the rears for cheap and be done with it. Both Eaton & ESPO are great to deal with and have good products. Monroe shock is/was a great choice for these cars too.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
66 Bonneville 2d HT - In perpetual progress