Old 06-26-2023, 01:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Stereo Front Speaker 79 TA

Hello guys,

I am looking for some audio sound front speaker ideas.

I am getting ready to install the dash and wanted stereo front speakers without cutting up door panels or console.

I noticed they have a stereo speaker that mounts where the single stock mono speaker mounted under the center of the dash. I have found two options that have seperate speakers for stereo sound in one enclosure. With the two options, only one seems to be of higher quality but larger.

I have AC and know that there are possible fitment issues with the speaker and ducting under the dash.

Do you recommend this or mounting speakers somewhere else.

What have you guys done for front speakers?

I dont need anything over the top but the car is loud and I need something I can hear.

Please advise

Thank you

Old 06-26-2023, 08:11 PM

I bought the smallest pair of Kicker speakers they had; 3 or 3.5 inches. I cut a piece of thin wood to mount them into and then used the original mono speaker bracket to put it together. They sound great and crisp however, no matter what you won't get any bass with speakers that small. I made sure the 6x9s in back are two channel so it can provide more bass then use your balancers to adjust if you have aftermarket radio (which helps in my case).

The Following User Says Thank You to MO Olds For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2023, 08:38 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I installed one of the “dual voice coil” speakers in my 77. As you mentioned it doesn’t fit well with AC. Well, the speaker fits well but the center duct no longer does. Even though prices of those are coming down I think if I do it again I’d do something similar to what MO Olds did. My rear 6x9s are Rockford fosgate though and have plenty of bass to make up for the lack of bass in the front speaker. Plenty of volume too so really, I wouldn’t dwell much on what you do up front aside from dealing with the AC duct or wanting some separation of the front speakers.

There are kick panels that can accept front speakers as well but I don’t know if those work with AC or not and I think they’re pricy.

Brian
The Following User Says Thank You to bhill86 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2023, 10:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Back in highschool and into my mid 20's on a 78 t/a i used 4.5" round speakers installed in the lower sides of the console before i cared about cutting stuff up or at least didnt want to cut the door panels, worked great for added front speakers, had high power alpine 6x9s in the rear running off a decent little amp. later i upgraded teh system to 2 12 subs & used small 1" tweeters velcro'd to the top of the Apillars, all speakers had their own amps running a 3 way electronic crossover. All that was back in the late 80's- mid 90's before big car audio systems were popular in the smaller midwest towns... Could hear & feel that car coming from blocks away.

today i would use one of the dual speaker set ups in the front single location & use one of the aftermarket vintage audio type radios that have more power & can run the modern 4 ohm speakers.

year one sells the BRE door panels that have holes for 6.5" speakers, ive seen them in person & they look & fit very good.

Last edited by 78w72; 06-27-2023 at 10:47 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to 78w72 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2023, 10:33 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Yea, I should’ve clarified I run my stock 77 stereo and console 8 track through a Bluetooth enabled amp which drives the center speaker and 6x9s which are all 4 ohm. I did run a single DIN radio for a bit at one point with the same speakers and it sounded great. Maybe even a little better than the current setup but I wanted factory look and function

Brian
Old 06-27-2023, 12:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have thought about this but my new car has AC and there is no room in there for anything significant.

I also looked at those floor speaker boxes but not exactly a clean look.

I ended up just beefing up the 6x9's, adding a sub and two amps - it's murder for the backseat passengers but at least I can hear it lol....

'74 T/A 455 Y-code SD clone

previously on Dawson's Creek:

'74 T/A 400
'81 AMC SX/4
'69 FB 350
The Following User Says Thank You to kingbuzzo For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2023, 12:51 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Do you have a link to those door panels 78w72?

Thanks

'74 T/A 455 Y-code SD clone

previously on Dawson's Creek:

'74 T/A 400
'81 AMC SX/4
'69 FB 350
Old 06-27-2023, 01:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingbuzzo View Post
Do you have a link to those door panels 78w72?

Thanks
heres some kick panels with speaker provisions-
https://www.yearone.com/Catalog/1967...-with-speakers

& the door panels, they ain't cheap but fit & look very nice -

https://www.yearone.com/Catalog/1967...ce-door-panels

Anyone considering the dual speakers for the dash or using aftermarket speakers with stock radios, be aware the ohm ratings are different & will eventually damage the amplifier in the stock radio using aftermarket 4ohm speakers, factory speakers/radio is 10ohm, 8 ohm seakers would be better but are harder to find for automotive speakers... or add the appropriate resistor inline on the positive wire to each speaker to get at or close to 10 ohm, but resistors can reduce the higher freq so its a trade off trying to use original radios with aftermarket speakers. the 2 knob "retro" type radios are the easiest way to get better sound that fits in the stock dashes, most of them have aux inputs, RCA outputs.

hope that helps.

Old 06-27-2023, 06:59 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

IF some wanted to run even a small amplifier it’s pretty simple to feed a factory setup into modern speakers. Don’t forget that the 77 and earlier stuff used common ground speakers too. Still able to run a modern amp to drive modern 2 wire speakers if desired. That’s what I do. Don’t think the OP has a 77 or earlier thought from memory. Just throwing it out there for anyone else though.

Brian
Old 06-27-2023, 07:15 PM
Senior Chief

I have the 2 small speakers together in the front center opening. I installed the second speaker in the rear deck, mine only had the one, and I have an aftermarket radio, but it looks a little like a stocker. It works pretty well. It is lacking a little bass, but it still sounds good.

Old 06-29-2023, 12:54 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks all for the info and ideas.

On a feedback forum one advised to install a larger dual front speaker in the stock location under the dash and modify the center duct to accommodate the larger than stock speaker. I am not sure what that would take-

Bass is good but original look with no cutting is my preference - even if I have to give up some sound quality.

Old 06-29-2023, 02:00 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I know this says discontinued, but it seems to me when I had asked about this a few years ago elsewhere I was told that this style speaker may fit with air conditioning. I’ll try to go back and see if I can find where I ask that when I have an opportunity.
https://www.firebirdcentral.com/1970...r_p/das-93.htm

Brian
Old 06-29-2023, 03:07 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I found my old thread talking about the speakers but it didn’t specify the brand. Sorry.

I’ve always intended on doing one of two things. Either cut a spare duct up to create a relief for the speaker magnet to fit into or make a new duct out of two small flexible tubes but I’ve done neither. In the meantime I’ve rigged the duct to partially feed the center vents and blocked the areas not covered. I still get decent airflow but I imagine it could be better.

Brian

Last edited by bhill86; 06-29-2023 at 03:12 PM.