Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 11-24-2012, 01:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Snow Meth Injection

Anyone running a Snow Meth Injection set up? Want to get away from $$$$ Race fuel.
Think the cost of converting to E85 or a Snow water/meth system is a wash.
Guess it boils down to E85(Ethanol) or washer fluid(Methanol/water).
At $10-11.00 a gal it adds up fast and no cooling benefit to boot.
Thanks

ECM member.
2008 Outlaw Pontiac Drag Series Champion
MANDRA
Do it now fool! Life is short.

69 Grand Prix/3163lbs / IAII 535 w/ Tiger heads by Gaydosh....9.35@ 144 so far.. through mufflers. 1.26 60'.
Going back to track with pump gas engine....
My 60 Ventura retired to street/strip duty..
Old 11-24-2012, 02:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I used a AIS kit (http://www.alcoholinjectionsystems.com/) on a procharged engine that I just built (I know you are asking about NA) but anyway I was a bit worried and was not sure I believed the hype... I tell you what, we tuned the engine on 91 octane with 14psi and it made 890 hp (may have been a little less) well the tune was happy so we just for giggles put the AIS kit on the engine on the next pull with the same tune made 934 hp... I was real surprised and impressed... I will say this, it has me seriously thinking about going that route with my engine.. If you have any questions call AIS the guys name is Rodney but plan on being on the phone for a while as he is willing to explain everything in depth with you and he will more than likely have lots of questions about your set up..

Chad

Old 11-24-2012, 02:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks Chad. I'm still rattling the final specs around in my head.
Will check out when I am more conclusive. I want a cooler running
motor in process. Straight Alki has too much baggage for me. I ran it a lot in
my old 2 Strokes.

ECM member.
MANDRA

69 Grand Prix/3163lbs / IAII 535 w/ Tiger heads by Gaydosh....9.35@ 144 so far.. through mufflers. 1.26 60'.
Old 11-24-2012, 02:42 PM
Boost Engineer

70 bird, in the boost section uses a Snow Performance kit and has lots of experience with one. I have seen the car/kit in person and am very impressed with the basic installation.

There was a nice piece on the Spike Channel about the "Snow P" stuff too.

I may buy a set of Snow Performance parts for some research work I want to do.

Tom Vaught

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.

Last edited by Tom Vaught; 11-24-2012 at 02:47 PM.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to harry k Send a message via MSN to harry k Send a message via Yahoo to harry k

Tom
this is what i think you saw on Spike TV ?if not here is indept on Snow products
http://www.powerblocktv.com/player/s..._num=HP2011-17

Old 11-24-2012, 09:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That's where I first saw the Snow set up, on Power Block. Rather caught my attention.

ECM member.
MANDRA

Old 11-24-2012, 09:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Troy, it sounds like you want to slam your D#*k in a sliding glass door a few times with this snow meth injection.

Keep it simple, and just stick with the race fuel.

7.940@170.84. 3460#s
Old 11-24-2012, 09:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiL Jack View Post
Troy, it sounds like you want to slam your D#*k in a sliding glass door a few times with this snow meth injection.

Keep it simple, and just stick with the race fuel.
That's why I'm leaning toward E85 Jack. Not being cheap. Just looking for a cooler
running fuel. Cooler combustion temps mean lower maintenance to me.
Am I right Mr. Vought ?

ECM member.
MANDRA

Old 11-24-2012, 10:04 PM
Boost Engineer

the National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics, in studies aimed at increasing the power from aircraft piston engines, came to the following conclusion: “The data indicated that water was a very effective internal coolant, permitting large increases in engine power as limited by either knock or by cylinder temperatures.”

Engine power production, referred to as brake mean effective pressure (BMEP), is measured by taking the average effective pressure of the cylinders as they progress through intake, compression, ignition, and exhaust strokes. Added power comes as a result of greater pressure, but a higher temperature inside the cylinder accompanies greater pressure. These higher temperatures can lead to detonation, referred to as engine knock, or pre-ignition, both of which are cases where the fuel-air mixture burns in an undesirable manner and can be destructive to an engine. To combat knock and pre-ignition as power increases, a richer air-to-fuel ratio is normally required. If the addition of extra fuel doesn’t provide enough knock protection, then a higher-octane fuel, which is more resistant to knock and pre-ignition, may be used. However, once the knock limit of a higher-octane fuel is reached, can anything be done? This is where a water injection system presents an appealing option.

The issue may be that cooling the charge may not be enough vs the higher octane fuel.

Tom Vaught

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:24 PM

What about windshield juice squirtation for street use? It's looking like I'm going to end up with between a 10:1 10.5:1 CR on my 406ish ci with #62 heads. Yeah, at sea level pump gas wouldn't cut it, but up here, at the 5000 to 7500 feet this engine will live, you can get away with a lower octane fuel w/o pre-ignition. But... if I still get pre-ignition, would a injection system like this save my butt?

Chris

Old 11-24-2012, 10:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
the National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics, in studies aimed at increasing the power from aircraft piston engines, came to the following conclusion: “The data indicated that water was a very effective internal coolant, permitting large increases in engine power as limited by either knock or by cylinder temperatures.”

Engine power production, referred to as brake mean effective pressure (BMEP), is measured by taking the average effective pressure of the cylinders as they progress through intake, compression, ignition, and exhaust strokes. Added power comes as a result of greater pressure, but a higher temperature inside the cylinder accompanies greater pressure. These higher temperatures can lead to detonation, referred to as engine knock, or pre-ignition, both of which are cases where the fuel-air mixture burns in an undesirable manner and can be destructive to an engine. To combat knock and pre-ignition as power increases, a richer air-to-fuel ratio is normally required. If the addition of extra fuel doesn’t provide enough knock protection, then a higher-octane fuel, which is more resistant to knock and pre-ignition, may be used. However, once the knock limit of a higher-octane fuel is reached, can anything be done? This is where a water injection system presents an appealing option.

The issue may be that cooling the charge may not be enough vs the higher octane fuel.

Tom Vaught
In short ......guess I should go with E85.
I have some gas stations within 10-15 miles of my home.

ECM member.
MANDRA

Old 11-24-2012, 11:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60man View Post
In short ......guess I should go with E85.
I have some gas stations within 10-15 miles of my home.
Troy,
I have been told that you can't trust the percentage of ethanol from the pumps. It's supposed to be all over the place. Maybe check into it before you make your decision.

Good luck,
Tom Syron

Old 11-24-2012, 11:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

From VP race fuel website.

NEW! C85™
If you’re committed to using E85 type fuels, C85 is by far your best choice. Conventional E85 fuels are notoriously inconsistent, requiring up to a two-jet swing in tuning from one batch of E85 to the next. By contrast, C85 is blended with a consistent proportion of ethanol and every other component in every drum. In addition to taking all the guesswork out of tuning, C85 makes up to 4% more power and torque than conventional E85. With higher quality pure components, C85 is superior to E85 in terms of cooling effect, resistance to detonation and even includes corrosion inhibitors to fight the issues presented by ethanol. C85 works well in drag racing, oval track, off road and virtually any other automotive application, in particular forced induction applications due to its lower vapor pressure. Tests of C85 indicate most applications will require richening up by 1 jet size, or 2-3% over current jetting. Note that for racers unwilling to invest in the new carb and expensive fuel system upgrade required for E85, VP’s MS109, VP113 and Q16 continue to be the best race gas alternatives for the money.

Tom Syron

Old 11-25-2012, 01:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Syron View Post
Troy,
I have been told that you can't trust the percentage of ethanol from the pumps. It's supposed to be all over the place. Maybe check into it before you make your decision.

Good luck,
Tom Syron
Yep..I know. Most of the E85 Guru's have that covered to.. You can get a test kit and just change your tune to compensate for variences... More jet,add some race fuel, or both...
As far as that goes....can you trust Race Fuel octane ???

The fuel suppliers raise price of E85 right up to Race fuel prices ..

Sorry but $11.00 a gallon sux..

ECM member.
MANDRA

Old 11-25-2012, 11:06 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I installed a Snow dual nozzle kit on my 421 just before Drag Week back in '06. The new heads (my current ones) had just gone on the motor and the compression ratio was now 11.4:1. The plan was to run the mid West's finest 93 octane pump gas and the WM injection. We started the first day and ended up a few tenths behind the class leader. In an act of despiration, I turned off the WM and went a tenth faster. It just turned out that the combo was safe enough to not need the extra protection, and I may have been spraying too much mixture to boot, but there is only so much real estate inside of the intake manifold. That and the fact that water doesn't burn. Mine just didn't need it or benefit from it.
Your higher CR may like it over what I had.

End of Drag Week story: front shock and rear tire pressure tuning gained us another few tenths and eventually gave us the small block NA class win!

'65 GTO - Pump gas 496" IA2 w/ High Ports, 200-4R trans, 3.73 gears, 275 Hoosier radials, and 3925 lbs.
9.88 @ 134 N/A on Cali 91 octane.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJEIY5OJ68g
Old 11-25-2012, 12:08 PM
Boost Engineer

Agree, Water Injection takes up "Air Molecule Space".

You basically reduce the chamber volume for air (which is needed to make the power when the right amount of fuel is added) so you possibly reduce the knock tendency but give up power doing it. Crappy fuel or the cost of fuel causes people to do lots of weird band-aids.

Tom Vaught

Old 11-25-2012, 12:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for your input Brian. I'm just testing the waters(no pun) at the moment.
There are a LOT of racers who run & like the E85. Just seeing if I have other options..
I have a lot of space in my Gutsram intake ..

ECM member.
MANDRA

Old 11-25-2012, 02:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60man View Post
There are a LOT of racers who run & like the E85.
Troy, you hit the nail on the head. Something I don't understand is, anytime E85 is discussed on this forum, negative comments seem to come from folks not running it. This comment is not directed at any particular individual, it is intended as a general statement on this topic, not a deliberate jab. If there is someone burning pump E85 (ethanol), who has negative results based on experience, I would like to hear it. I really don't care whether or not, you or anyone else, switches to ethanol, it's a personal choice.

I have run pump E85 (ethanol) for three years. My 850DP looks like new inside, after three years, of ethanal use. I have filled my drum 8 times in the last three years. The first drum was 85%, the second drum was 74%, so I re-jetted for 74%. The third drum I got was 94%, so I added regular unleaded to get down to 74%. I ran 74% all that year, and the second year, because my engine liked that tune. I went back to 85% for the third year. I now know what jets to use for 74% or 85%. When filling my drum I have received 85% or higher every time except that one time I got 74%. If you fill a drum and get a different mix and have to re-jet, that drum will last several months, so it's not like you are re-jetting every weekend. I have spent approximately $1700 for race fuel in the last three years. Had I used race gas I would have spent about $2700. The 850DP cost $600 new, and the SS filter I installed was about $60. Additionally, my engine makes more power and runs cooler when I burn ethanol, compared to 110 octane race gas.

My only regret is my car is no longer using a Q-jet.

T-400/PTC 4000/390's/30x9 Hoosier radial slicks,#3400
1.38 60' 6.32 @ 108 MPH at Northeast Dragway NC 5/23/15 (9th pass on new engine)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ePCu2v...ature=youtu.be

1.37 60' 6.26 @ 109 half track, 9.86 @ 136 1/4 mile, #3350 11/26/16 at Richmond Dragway (125th pass on new engine)
Old 11-25-2012, 02:37 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Water/meth injection works, I would have blown-up or melted my motor years ago if it didnt. I test my system once a month with an ohm meter, air source and air pressure regulator. I also have an indicator lamp to let me know when the pump is operating. I have e85 local to me and I have thought of using it but I dont need it! I have ran up to 20psi. in my ford on 93 octane w/iron heads.

2 things I wont do again... buy race gas or build a high compression engine.

Old 11-25-2012, 03:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post

Tom Vaught
Quote:
Originally Posted by T Syron View Post
From VP race fuel website.

NEW! C85™
If you’re committed to using E85 type fuels, C85 is by far your best choice. Conventional E85 fuels are notoriously inconsistent, requiring up to a two-jet swing in tuning from one batch of E85 to the next. By contrast, C85 is blended with a consistent proportion of ethanol and every other component in every drum. In addition to taking all the guesswork out of tuning, C85 makes up to 4% more power and torque than conventional E85. With higher quality pure components, C85 is superior to E85 in terms of cooling effect, resistance to detonation and even includes corrosion inhibitors to fight the issues presented by ethanol. C85 works well in drag racing, oval track, off road and virtually any other automotive application, in particular forced induction applications due to its lower vapor pressure. Tests of C85 indicate most applications will require richening up by 1 jet size, or 2-3% over current jetting. Note that for racers unwilling to invest in the new carb and expensive fuel system upgrade required for E85, VP’s MS109, VP113 and Q16 continue to be the best race gas alternatives for the money.

Tom Syron
Can't stop this quote ????

ECM member.
MANDRA