Old 05-09-2024, 06:40 PM

Default Painting 66 Dash metal

Would you say the black dashes surround the gauge cluster in the Catalina and Bonneville is a flat or satin black? The paint/finish on mine is peeling and kind of hard to tell.

Old 07-12-2024, 10:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Generally, a satin finish to use a generic term.

IIRC, the factory formula is a 60 percent flattener in the standard base black. I will look closely at my unrestored '67 A-Body to see if there is any kind of a poly to the finish.

Best thing to do IMO is to hit the shows (Tripwer, etc.) and study what you find there in unrestored cars, and the acres of parts at the swap meet. You might luck out and find a really good sample (glovebox door, etc.) and then do some test shots to see what matches best.

Old 07-12-2024, 12:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think you would be happier with satin. It is very hard to clean flat paint without introducing a shine to it.

Old 07-12-2024, 09:16 PM

I ended up painting mine back with a satin finish. I think it turned out alright, but it's a restoration in my garage...not an autobody shop.