THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 07-06-2021, 10:51 AM
Senior Chief

What I remember about the Nationals is people wandering in the parking lot talking about cars all night long. Guess people sleep and car covers/alarms are needed now.

Had a GP 4-speed console stolen from my house when in the hospital one time but then was only $100 item and before everything was garaged.

Out of sight out of mind.

The Following User Says Thank You to padgett For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2021, 10:58 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Just like it was back in the 1960s and 70s. Take your girlfriend to the movies, you come out of the theater to find your car on blocks with the mag wheels gone, tachometer missing, and Muncie trans missing. That’s why I NEVER took any of my cars anywhere that they were out of my sight. I carried a 2” S&W 38 5 shot J Frame revolver in my back pocket, too. I’m in my 75th year of life now. The only thing that has changed is that I carry a Glock with 17 rounds of ammo. I really feel bad for Jim. I hope the find the punks.

Old 07-06-2021, 11:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drag Star Le Mans View Post
Couple bullets would have been good!!!
I agree. Until this happens these theiving POS will keep getting bolder and bolder. Its a game to these people. Our court systems just catch and release. I value my sh** more than their life. In todays society... the laws only protect them... not us

1973 Formula SD455 - #'s auto orig paint
1972 Trans Am - 4 speed orig paint
1974 Formula 400 - Ram Air automatic
1966 2+2 convertible - 421 4bbl automatic
1967 Grand Prix - 4 speed orig paint
1967 GTO - 4 speed orig paint 35k orig miles
The Following User Says Thank You to 71GP76TA For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2021, 12:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

OMT is one of the best in our community and I would like to donate to a fund to help him replace his steering wheel like for like. If someone has similar thoughts maybe we can help him out as he has us on so many occasions.

Tim john---

The Following User Says Thank You to Tim john For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2021, 12:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I took a set of new 421 pistons and Eheads to the recent Pigeon Forge event with a friend. I was nervous about leaving the parts without someone watching out . It's becoming too common for thieves to simply walki around and grab parts. My wife suggested taking the portable Ring device next time.

The Following User Says Thank You to 68WarDog For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2021, 01:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Would his insurance cover the damage/loss ?

3 Generations of "Beach Boys Racing" !

Everybody knows somthin.
Nobody knows everything !

1st time on a dragstrip, 1964. Flagstart !

"Thanks for the entertainment."

"Real Indians Don't Wear Bowties"
Old 07-06-2021, 01:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I am certainly sorry to hear this...Nothing is sacred anymore. But curious, was his car in the show or in the parking lot?

1978 Black & Gold T/A [complete 70 Ram Air III (carb to pan) PQ and 12 bolt], fully loaded, deluxe, WS6, T-Top car - 1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air numbers matching Julep Green - 1971 T/A 455, 320 CFM Eheads, RP cam, Doug's headers, Fuel injection, TKX 5 Spd. 12 Bolt 3.73, 4 wheel disc. All A/C cars
Old 07-06-2021, 01:45 PM

You'd have to think that any classic insurance is going to cover the damage and theft, less a deductible,, since it occurred in the parking lot (popular vote?) of the convention.

Whoever took it had to be a Pontiac guy who knew exactly what they were stealing, especially sad and despicable after OMT successfully got the car there from over 2,000 miles away on an open trailer.

Presumably the GTOAA conventions always have security for the cars, must not have been adequate for that to happen.

Old 07-06-2021, 03:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

1987. I took my wife to the movies in my 1979 TA, Black SE 4-speed. 1 of 1107 made. When we came out my car had been broke into, the dash had been ripped apart with possibly a crowbar hatchet whatever just to steel the radio. The wiring was destroyed to the point that the car would not start. Had to be towed home.
It leaves a sick feeling in your stomach !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1831.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	569365  

Everybody knows somthin.

Last edited by Old Goat Racer; 07-06-2021 at 04:03 PM.
Old 07-06-2021, 04:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Can you remove it without a puller? It is weird to think thieves carry pullers. Sounds like an inside job, in the sense they knew the car and the wheel. I would be looking at all my so called compadres. Regardless, what a terrible thing to one of the most stand up gentlemen I have seen round these parts.

The Following User Says Thank You to bird72 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2021, 04:41 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

That's such a hurtful violation, you'd rather be personally confronted before someone messes with your prized possessions.

Just think, if the thief installs it into his car he has to look at that wheel and then keep his hands on it to drive (and it's from a passionate helpful gentleman in the same Pontiac hobby no less).

Maybe the remorse and the constant reminder that he's a low-life will be overwhelming.

Last edited by NYGTO; 07-06-2021 at 05:31 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to NYGTO For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2021, 05:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird72 View Post
Can you remove it without a puller? It is weird to think thieves carry pullers. Sounds like an inside job, in the sense they knew the car and the wheel. I would be looking at all my so called compadres. Regardless, what a terrible thing to one of the most stand up gentlemen I have seen round these parts.
YES. I've done it a couple times, on my own car.

Everybody knows somthin.

Old 07-06-2021, 06:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
If they didn't have a puller.. Hopefully they hit themselves in the face and knocked a couple teeth out..

1973 Formula SD455 - #'s auto orig paint
1972 Trans Am - 4 speed orig paint
1974 Formula 400 - Ram Air automatic
1966 2+2 convertible - 421 4bbl automatic
1967 Grand Prix - 4 speed orig paint
1967 GTO - 4 speed orig paint 35k orig miles
The Following User Says Thank You to 71GP76TA For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2021, 06:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ahem....

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=851656

Old 07-06-2021, 07:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

FWIW, you certainly don't need a steering wheel puller to remove one of these wheels. Working as a line mechanic in many GM dealerships over my career I, and many of the mechanics I worked with would always try to remove them by cradling the wheel in your forearms and slamming yourself back into the seat. It works probably 90% of the time.

I misplaced the keys to my service truck one night while attending the local dirt track races. I needed to pull the wheel to remove the ignition lock so I could drive home. I had some tools with me, but of course no steering wheel puller. I just did it as previously described, took the lock plate off so I could get the turn signal switch out, and removes the retaining screw for the lock.

Of course after I had it all back together I looked in the pit gate ticket office, and there my keys were hanging on a nail on the wall. I either laid them down while paying for my pit pass, or dropped them in front of the window while fishing my money out.

It does require some upper body strength, and strong arms, but it can be done by someone that is determined to get the wheel off sans a puller. Only need a wrench/socket to remove the retaining nut.

When my wife and I used to sell T Shirts at various Pontiac events, one year at Norwalk my wife witnessed someone going into the adjoining vendors booth about 8:30 PM with the wife/GF standing watch for the perp. He stole some stickers worth a few dollars, the guy that ran the booth next to us said I would have given him the stickers if he was that hard up for money. People are just weird, and greedy.

BTW, OMT came over to our T shirt booth in Phoenix and introduced himself, we've also seen him in Chicago and I believe in Charleston WV at the POCI event. Very nice gentleman.....

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Last edited by Sirrotica; 07-06-2021 at 07:06 PM.
Old 07-06-2021, 07:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The most sad part of this is it was most likely taken by a fellow Pontiac person as they would know the value of the wheel.

Old 07-06-2021, 07:42 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by einstein View Post
Yes einstein, considering the hurt imposed on OMT, I thought it'd be real nice to have a 64 wood wheel waiting for him when he arrived home.

Old 07-06-2021, 07:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGTO View Post
Yes einstein, considering the hurt imposed on OMT, I thought it'd be real nice to have a 64 wood wheel waiting for him when he arrived home.
Your suspicions might be up if somebody offers you a wheel now.

Old 07-06-2021, 07:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I’m still amazed that someone took that. I had my cig lighter stolen at a car show one that’s it.

Old 07-06-2021, 08:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
On our collector cars, the wheels have typically been removed for cleaning or other work. Remove the nut and wiggle, wiggle, wiggle. 90% of them will pull right off.