Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 01-07-2015, 02:56 PM
Senior Chief

Default What size is the Intake to Water pump bolt for Pontiac 455 & 400?

Can somebody tell me what size of bolt is for the intake to water pump. Its the bolt that makes sure the intake is pulled forward enough and makes that round rubber grommet seal to the water pump.

Can somebody tell me how long and what size that bolt is?

Old 01-07-2015, 03:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

With factory intake use 5/16-18-3-1/2 long with the factory clamp. If using edel intake use 3-1/4 long eith the factory clamp.

Old 01-07-2015, 03:42 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Williams View Post
With factory intake use 5/16-18-3-1/2 long with the factory clamp. If using edel intake use 3-1/4 long eith the factory clamp.
I forgot to mention that I have the Edelbrock RPM intake. Can I simply use a washer instead of the factory clamp? I don't have the bolt OR the clamp.

Old 01-07-2015, 04:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You can get the bolt and clamp from PY and Ames just cut 1/4 inch off. I use ARP bolts with the factory clamp.I have never used washers instead of the clamp but i guess you could.

Old 01-07-2015, 04:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Use whatever allows the bolt to seat squarely on the shoulder off the timing cover. I can't picture a washer doing that without some modification.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 01-07-2015, 04:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hm. Funny, I've used the OE bolt and washer for Edelbrock intakes and never had an issue. Sure you have to use a bolt that's a 1/4 inch shorter?

I have though had issues where the surround of the gasket area on Edelbrock intakes are too high and don't allow for the rubber gasket to compress enough. A quick hit with a flat file cures that though.

Guess if you had to, you can add washers to the bolt and use them WITH the OE washer thingee, that would work. Cutting a bolt at the threaded end makes it tough to start, and may not allow enough thread contact, which could strip the threads.

It's easy enough to check if the bolt is too long, leave the rubber gasket off and with the bolt all the way screwed into the intake, slide it all the way forward and see if fits/check the distance. Done.

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be