Old 09-02-2014, 08:56 PM
Senior Chief

Default Another Auto Shift Cable Question

According to some of the aftermarket catalogs there are two different auto shift cables. One is shown as fitting 1970-1977 and the other, 1978-1981. Some catalogs only list one cable p/n that fits 1970-81. Were there two designs? What was the difference? How bad are the reproductions compared to the GM parts? Is the Autozone $18.99 Pioneer cable the same as the one offered in the catalogs for $40-$45 as a reproduction? Can you still by the GM part from a dealer?

At this point I am not trying to be cheap or seem thrifty, I just want to solve the issues that I have. If the GM part is really a step above of the repop's then I will be ordering one tomorrow.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks - Kevin

Best of 12.88 @ 105 so far
Old 09-03-2014, 01:35 PM
Senior Chief

Default Nobody?

If this was discussed previously in another post please let me know and I will continue to search for it. At first glance I was not able to find the answers that I am seeking. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks - Kevin

Old 09-03-2014, 01:42 PM
Senior Chief

Send a message via Yahoo to speedfreq

Sorry I don't have any answers for your questions as all my cars are manual but, I did notice that you are trying to resolve some issues. Maybe if you let us know what issues your dealing with someone may have experience with those and how they resolved them.

Chris

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
Albert Einstein
Old 09-03-2014, 02:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a shifter and cable out of a 79 in my car. My car had a 4 speed in it with a large hole cut in the floor, so I made a aluminum plate and cut a hole in it to run the shifter cable. I also have a shifter and cable out of a 72 and they both looked the same. I didn't study them to carefully, but they looked identical.

I have no idea about the Autozone cable, but you can pick up used cables for cheap.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 09-03-2014, 06:59 PM
Senior Chief

Default Full Story

Ok, I described some of my issues in my first post about the cable routing, but let me recap it all here in one place.

1972 Firebird Esprit cloned into a Formula. Turbo 350 trans. The stock floor shifter that came with the car was worn to the point of missing the detents and was impossible to shift reliably at the strip. It has a new replacement Pioneer cable from Autozone that was installed in an emergency situation right after the new motor was installed a few years ago. I recently sourced a nice shifter from a 1979 T/A that has the ratcheting feature. It works flawless on the workbench. Once installed in the car, the shifter will not travel far enough to the right to let the ratchet feature work consistently. I have started to research this situation and noticed that Ames list two different cables. One for 1970-77 and one for 1978-81. Most all other vendors list only one part number for 1970-81. So I am trying to determine if I have the right cable. Also looking for advice on potential bad repop vs GM. Thinking maybe GM cable is far superior. Also trying to be sure that I had the correct routing with respect to the speedo cable as they come in close quarters to each other.

Again, any advice or info is welcome and appreciated.

Thanks - Kevin

Old 09-03-2014, 09:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've used the ratchet shifter with a cable off an original 72 and it worked perfect.

I dont remember how I ran it, but it just seemed to fall into place.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 09-05-2014, 03:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Ratchet shifters have a spring under the middle and a detent, there is a hang up there, should be slightly adjustable.