Old 10-26-2013, 01:10 PM

Default Horn issues (wiring)

Im having problems with my wiring to my horn on my 66 lemans. I checked the horns and relay, both are working. I ran a wire from where the green wire plugs into the relay. I grounded it and the horns worked. I unplugged the harness underneath the dash that goes to the stering column. Traced the green wire to the horn button. All was ok, there was no short. I unplugged the wiring harness from the firewall and the pigtail at the steering column. I test the green wire from the pigtail back to the firewall and got a short. It the green wire suppose to be grounded? I actually cut the green wire middle ways in between the firewall and pigtail and got a short on both sides of the wire that i cut in two. Any suggestions?

Old 10-28-2013, 10:25 AM

Ok, i found out the green wire i was testing was the wire leading to my wipers. I cleanded the termiinals on the relay and now have power to the steering column. I can gound the plunger button to the steering shaft and the horns blow. I put the steering wheel back on. While putting the stering wheel back on, the horn would blow when it touch the button on the cancelling cam. After installing the steering wheel the horns still didnt work. I did notice that the horns wouldnt work by pushing the plungers down while the steering wheel was off. Any idea whats going on?

Old 10-28-2013, 10:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sounds like an open circuit in the horn pad or cancel cam.

Car is a junk yard dog and maybe one day will be restored.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:42 PM

I fiound the problem why my horns wasnt working. The part that bolts to the horn bar wasnt closing to make contact when i would push the horn bar. Made a few adjustments and the horns are working now.