Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 11-30-2015, 10:15 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Safety chain from factory head bolt stud acceptable?

Im getting ready to add a safety chain to my 461 in my trans am and was wondering if it acceptable to use the threaded stud on top of the factory headbolt for an attachment point for the chain. The head bolt looks like this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	G241453-lrg.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	414551  

Old 11-30-2015, 10:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

that should work fine, where are you attaching the other end of the chain? on a t/a i found there wasnt many options for the other end.

Old 11-30-2015, 11:22 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

78W72, I was going to wrap it around the sub frame. I a stud about half way back on the head that should work. It should just clear the steering shaft.

Old 11-30-2015, 11:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

your choice on where you put it based on your car, however when i researched doing this a member here showed me where he did his... i went with the front of the head & went straight down to the subframe crossmember. the chain is a stainless medium sized link that fits great at the front of teh head, runs down right behind the p/s pump & doesnt hit or rub on anything. i used a couple washers behind teh chain at the head to hold it off the head, then a 1/4" spacer i had to hold it off the frame. drilled a hole in the frame & used a grade 8 bolt with a nylock nut on the back side... accessable through the lower control arm cutout in the frame. has just less than 1/4" of slack & will stop the motor from torqueing over if the mount breaks. but so far so good on my home made mity mount with a 500+hp engine & mid 11 sec runs. its also very stealthy & clean looking compared to a chain on the head bolt wrapped around the subframe. hope that helps you decide where to put the chain.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2821a.JPG
Views:	242
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	414554  

Old 11-30-2015, 08:29 PM

Curious: What is this for/why is it needed?

thanks,

Chris

Old 12-01-2015, 12:36 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

To keep from ripping the motor mounts apart.

Old 12-01-2015, 05:50 AM
Pontiac performance Author

78W72: I like your solution. Particularly because it is applicable to a lot of other make apps. I think I'll use it on my 1956 Packard RestoMod which has new, but all rubber motor mounts and big HP/TQ.

Old 12-01-2015, 12:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Hendrickson View Post
78W72: I like your solution. Particularly because it is applicable to a lot of other make apps. I think I'll use it on my 1956 Packard RestoMod which has new, but all rubber motor mounts and big HP/TQ.
glad i could help. it really works very well. but for big power engines i think a better motor mount than stock is the 1st step. i made my own improved version of a "mity mount" & its holding up great behind my 500+hp engine.

Old 12-01-2015, 01:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
To keep from ripping the motor mounts apart.
Or - more specifically - to keep the throttle from wedging wide open when the motor mount gets ripped apart.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 12-01-2015, 06:42 PM
Boost Engineer

Many Years ago, Chevrolet has an issue with that left engine mount failing and the throttle sticking at high rpm when the rubber mount broke loose from the mount.

They came up with a cable strap that was supposed to keep the engine from rotating enough to have the fan blade cut up the fan shroud, the air cleaner hit the hood, the throttle on the carb get jammed in a wot position. They used a solid throttle rod system from the firewall.

Pontiac has used cable throttle systems on their HP engine and stock engines for years.
Less chance of the throttle being jammed but you could still kill a radiator shroud or dent the hood if the engine mount broke.

So the retention device is supposed to fix that deal.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.