THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 10-10-2020, 07:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I’ve found that cheap gym equipment usually doesn’t get used because it isn’t comfortable. A nice bike or elliptical is well worth the $$. I agree with looking on Craigslist but I wouldn’t buy anything crappy.

Old 10-10-2020, 08:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a Nordic Track recumbent bike. Got it on sale about 10 years ago and while I haven't ridden as much as I used to due to cancer, it still keeps on going and I've definitely gotten my money out of it!

Find a good brand and buy it secondhand from someone who is getting rid of it of it on craigslist.

Old 10-10-2020, 08:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

"We used to ride in Fla but since moving to the Ga mountains"

When did you move to the GA Mtns John? I live in the northeast corner of the state.

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 10-10-2020, 09:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

About 8 years ago I bought a refurbished StarTrac upright bike -- the kind you typically see in fitness centers (which is why I bought it). It was great.
At the start of the pandemic, my wife wanted a bike with online workout capability... compared Peloton and Nordic Track, and got the Nordic Track. So I sold the Star Trac on Craigslist because I didn't want two bikes in the house, and ride the Nordic Track now. It's got some cool features, but I was fine with the StarTrac. Riding indoors is riding indoors...

70 Formula RA III / M21 / Lucerne Blue / Bright Blue
Old 10-11-2020, 08:46 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

vintage schwinn excelsior

Old 10-12-2020, 08:49 AM
Senior Chief

Default Thanks for all of the replies

Good idea not to go full steam for the upper level purchases, and look for used.

I put up the stand we had. I put better tires on bicycle, added 60psi to tire, and disabled brake.

Wife did not like to use the stand for bike because it was hard to pedal.

I hope I took care of issues this time around until we get the real thing.

Old 10-12-2020, 09:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

This is the unit I have been using.Tom
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stamina-Eli...Cclp%3A2334524

Old 10-12-2020, 02:39 PM
Senior Chief

Default My wife does not want a recumbant bike

Too bad because the Stamina Elite Total Body Recumbent Bike is one that I have seen in the gym when we actually went to a gym and were not just absent subscriber members.

Now I am researching Spin Bike vs Stationary (exercise) bike; i could hardly tell the difference at first.

I thought it was a different name for the same thing.

I used to ride in my younger days. I had a Schwinn Voyageur 11.8. I personally think of stationary bike like laying out to get a sun tan; I would rather be doing something out in the sun, and getting a tan in the process.

Anyway, I appreciate the suggestions and brands of known equipment.

Ye

Old 10-14-2020, 01:36 PM

Default exercise bike stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by East View Post
Does anyone have an indoor exercise bike that has given good service and did not break the bank?

It seems that you get what you pay for when trying to get the least expensive.

I would spend more for quality if I was sure that what I was buying was of good quality.

When reading reviews, there are always the one and two star reviews that put fear in me. The amount of reviews plays a big factor. I ran across a five star rating with no lower ratings, but there were only less than ten reviews.

I would certainly appreciate information from those that have already purchased an indoor exercise bike. I'm sure that I am not the only boomer in this forum that was told by a doctor that I was in need of getting healthy.

My wife and I have recently quit smoking after smoking since high school.
I really enjoyed smoking with my coffee at 4:00 Am before work, and smoking with my beers after work and on the weekends. She also enjoyed smoking more than me.

Las Vegas is a place where morning walks are in 90° plus temperatures. It is just now getting to be in the eighties, and we have poor air quality at this time. Getting exercise indoors with the A/C would be more enjoyable, and insure that we would stick with the exercise plan.

Hello: saw your question. The best way to get an indoor cycling workout is to by a rear wheel fluid trainer. "Cycleops" "Spinergy" and "Kurt Kinetics" are the best. and cost about $250-300. They stand behind your bicycle and attach to the rear wheel. The rear wheel touches a roller wheel on the trainer that gives resistance by internal fluid in the sealed unit. When you change the gears on your bike you get varying levels of difficulty. Good Luck

Old 10-14-2020, 02:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

When I used to go to Gold’s Gym, pre-pandemic, I used the StarTrac bikes there and really liked them. Tore a meniscus in my knee and doc recommended a lot of bike riding to keep the leg strong to support the knee, so I decided to buy a stationary bike. I was very patient and checked Craigslist and OfferUp nearly every day. Finally someone put up a StarTrac just like I wanted on Craigslist. Paid $200 for a bike that cost $1500 new. It’s in near perfect shape and works great.

I’m sure the Peleton is a nice piece of equipment and also that there are a lot of good choices out there. I’d advise checking them out at the local gyms to see what you like and don’t like about each kind. You won’t find a Pelton in a gym, but there are lots of others that you can learn about. There’s just no substitute for actually riding one a few times and trying it out. That way you’ll find out what features are important to you and what isn’t.