THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 07-07-2021, 01:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Have to figure it was someone that knew him, knew the car and knew it was real.

My Z71 was stolen in January- but that was just some punks in a parking garage looking for a GM truck- this is personal.

Old 07-07-2021, 03:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm going out on a limb but I found my stolen trailer and the parts stolen from my race car. 2 different perps and times. My point is that 90% of the time you WILL know someone involved in the theft! I somehow found this out will trying to find my stolen 'stuff'. The police were apathetic.They had some information but didnt act.'The guy isnt home when I'm on duty ' huh! That's what the officer told me then he became police chief!!

Old 07-07-2021, 05:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Typical meth head thief would not single out a steering wheel. Intake, carb sure. Only someone with hobby knowledge would know to take *only* a rare steering wheel attached to a car. And they looked the whole lot to stumble upon one? Agree with prior posts. Scary that pathological people roam the Pontiac world.

The Following User Says Thank You to bird72 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2021, 05:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

About ten years ago, I had a vendor spot at Charltote Autofair that backed up to a chain link fence. At the time, I was staying with family nearby and wasn't camping at the show. There was a motor home on the spot next to me that camped at the speedway.

One of the items I had there was a rough 68-70 GTO hood. It had some rust to begin with, and had blown out of a trailer several years earlier and was warped. It was standing up against the fence with a long loose bungie cord attached to the back side of the bracing.

The next morning, I came to my spot and the hood was hanging oddly on the fence. I walked over to it, and the guys in the camper came out and were laughing. They said they were sitting in their camper the night before and two guys came out and started poking around. They went over to the hood and grabbed it, and he yelled at them. They tried to take off with the hood, but the bungie cord only gave them a couple of feet of running room before it ran out of travel. The sharp edge of the hood cut one guy's hand pretty badly, but he ran off before the guys got outside to see who it was.

It's pretty funny, especially since the hood was only like $50 with the scoops still in place. I'll bet his stitches cost him more than that.

The Following User Says Thank You to poncho-mike For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2021, 06:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I just saw this post. I am not insured - long story.

We pulled into the show Sunday afternoon. There was no security as it was a day before the official start of the show. Plus they had us backed up against a forest. That night they had 4th of July fireworks, so it was a perfect storm. I unloaded it Monday morning, and when I got in to park it - no steering wheel. They pried on the driver’s door trim but couldn’t get in. They pried on the passenger side and succeeded in breaking the stud that the vent handle is on.

When I tried to get Haggerty’s in the past I was rejected because I had a nitrous bottle in the trunk. Vic Shreck set me up with a better agent here, so as of today I am covered.

I was given a badly damaged ‘65 wheel that allows me to steer it. Then Dick Boneske shows up with his spare (not for sale) wood wheel for the show. That’s the picture posted earlier. I used it for the drive, but I’ve got it off for the show.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	796331E8-DCA1-4AB4-91E4-886A7250AD0E.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	569410   Click image for larger version

Name:	72F5744B-9438-417C-87F8-D906909EAE7F.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	569411  

The Following User Says Thank You to Old Man Taylor For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2021, 06:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

i am praying for the best in this deal!!!!

I'm SAY'n the wheel is coming back soon!!!

Thank You, Lord!!!

1Cor 4:20

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
The Following User Says Thank You to 77 TRASHCAN For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2021, 08:00 PM

Hoping Jim gets his wheel back somehow. That is a crying shame to have that stolen.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Old 07-07-2021, 11:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Someone has a sense of humor with your name tag.

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

Old 07-08-2021, 12:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

“Someone has a sense of humor with your name tag”

That would be me. “You’re the guy with the wood wheel”. Hence my new name tag.

Old 07-08-2021, 06:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

OMT, I do not know how to start a "Go fund me" page or website or whatever they are but I do want to help. Please PM me your address for I would like to donate for a replacement like for like wheel if not better. This just sickens me of the dirt bag thief's. Instead of beating a dead horse on this issue, let's get a replacement wheel installed and move on, in time these criminals will get what they deserve, God knows who did this. Please PM me Mr. Taylor with your address, Thank You.

Tim john---

Old 07-08-2021, 07:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah Jim, I think allot of us would offer some help in replacing the wheel.

Old 07-08-2021, 07:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thank you all. I did buy the only “reasonable” one on eBay. It appears to be a nice one. $3200.

Last edited by b-man; 07-08-2021 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Personal information removed
Old 07-08-2021, 08:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Jim, I hate to say this..but it's the world we live in- You may not want to post your home address on the open forum.
Do you have a paypal account? I have no idea how to set up a 'Go Fund Me' page but I'd like to chip in.

Old 07-08-2021, 08:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'll chip in for sure

Old 07-08-2021, 09:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

His classic Ins should cover the wheel. Let’s see how good Hagerty is.

Old 07-08-2021, 10:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Taylor View Post
I am not insured - long story.

Last edited by Greg Reid; 07-08-2021 at 10:39 AM.
Old 07-08-2021, 10:19 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I agree don't publish that info.

Old 07-08-2021, 10:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird72 View Post
Typical meth head thief would not single out a steering wheel. Intake, carb sure. Only someone with hobby knowledge would know to take *only* a rare steering wheel attached to a car. And they looked the whole lot to stumble upon one? Agree with prior posts.
100%. It was someone who knew what it was worth or at least had an idea. May or may not actually know OMT. Carbs (tripower especially), intakes, distributors, and radiators are what the typical toothless meth head will go for because they know what that's worth or at least how to easily sell it. The later 2nd gen Trans Ams and the hideaway GTO crowd may be more noticed and have plenty of valuable stuff to rip off, but this is a most unusual piece to steal and it's most likely not your usual smash and grab jobber.

Cops are going to be useless. It's a "victimless crime" that we are conditioned to accept as the price we pay for our society - that stuff gets stolen and it's somehow our fault that other people can't keep their hands to themselves, that we should have known and protected it better. When I got my dual snorkel air cleaner and shaker walked off with or my VIN plates pried off my car, the cops told me it wasn't worth their trouble to investigate because no one was dead and how did they know I wasn't scamming them by faking it?

Old 07-08-2021, 11:10 AM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben M. View Post
100%. When I got my dual snorkel air cleaner and shaker walked off with or my VIN plates pried off my car, the cops told me it wasn't worth their trouble to investigate because no one was dead and how did they know I wasn't scamming them by faking it?
I know the feeling very well with the Cops on that subject too.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 07-08-2021, 11:21 AM
Senior Chief

Been there. Was rearended by a guy in a Monte Carlo while on a Honda 160 (still have the Monte Carlo badge imprint in my back. Worst pain of my life and most wondrous pain in my life what when my back started hurting.

Texas cops lost interest when they found out he was an illegal alien.

All of my cars are licensed and insured, why I keep adding garage doors, but little is visible from the street.

Is part of the reason why if I need one, I usually buy two.