Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 07-12-2004, 05:29 AM
"Guy
Senior Chief

Send a message via MSN to

How do you measure when cutting down a intake to get to the # you want to machine off?
I'v done a couple dry run with 1233 gasket on and there is no way my ports are lining up. I did a dry run one side bolted down, no gasket, ports lined up on the side bolted down....I've got .032 clearance on the other side that's not bolted down. The 1233 will crush down some or do take the the thickness before it is crushed. Anybody shed some light on this subject? The intake and heads are perfectly matched the the gasket....Help

Old 07-12-2004, 05:29 AM
"Guy
Senior Chief

How do you measure when cutting down a intake to get to the # you want to machine off?
I'v done a couple dry run with 1233 gasket on and there is no way my ports are lining up. I did a dry run one side bolted down, no gasket, ports lined up on the side bolted down....I've got .032 clearance on the other side that's not bolted down. The 1233 will crush down some or do take the the thickness before it is crushed. Anybody shed some light on this subject? The intake and heads are perfectly matched the the gasket....Help

Old 07-12-2004, 05:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If your ports line up. Elongate the holes.

Old 07-12-2004, 05:53 AM
"Guy
Senior Chief

Hey Dude, ports don't line up with the gaskets on....intake sits up higher. #16 heads decked and block has been decked too. Elongating holes will just make the holes bigger. I pretty sure I need to deck the intake too.

Old 07-12-2004, 06:02 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Is this an RPM intake? Mine fit perfect with NO gasket. Had the machine shop shave off the exact thinkness of the gasket from each side of the intake...perfect fit now.

'73 Ventura, Spotts 462 roller
10.785 @ 122.79, 1.507 60 ft
2850 lbs. plus driver, 3150 race weight

'69 Firebird Convertible, Spotts 455 with long branches
12.561 @ 107.62, best on old 455
4290 race weight

'72 Formula 455 HO
numbers matching auto, work in progress!
Old 07-12-2004, 07:20 AM
"Guy
Senior Chief

It is a RPM. When I bolted down one side without gaskets I have clearance of .032 on the otherside. So I guessing I have to mill it alittle less than a full gasket thickness on bothsides it get it everything to line up.

Old 07-12-2004, 07:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Guy,mn.usa, yes you'll have to take some off the intake. Better to take it off the intake side of the heads though if you can, as every intake you want to put on will have the same problem. I made the same mistake and have had to mill .060 off every intake I've wanted to use. The bolts would sit right at the top of the hole in the intake. I took a good .060 to get them to line up in the middle of the hole in the intake.

Old 07-12-2004, 07:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via Skype™ to RPM

I have unmilled heads on my 400. My Perf RPM and Torker 2 intakes both sat "high" on the head. My stock intake lined up fine. Go figure. I had both ebrock intakes milled .060" and they now fit like a stocker.

Old 07-13-2004, 05:44 AM
"Guy
Senior Chief

Doug and RPM, I remeasured everything last nite and sure enough .060 will get it down where it needs to be. Dropped it off last nite and the buider calalated .063 with everything that was milled. Thanks for all the replys! Carcraft's Summer Nationals this weekend..can't wait. My car is still being restored so I'm helping a get 1 of 2 of my buddys GTO's down there...I'm driving a 70 convertible, sweet car! Stop by the dyno he is dynoing his 9000 mile Ram Air IV Judge Friday.