Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 03-04-2024, 05:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Doing the diff

[ATTACH][/ATTACH]I scored a nice rear end for practically nothing, so I figured that I’d start the process of rebuilding it to replace the existing one in our ‘67 LeMans. The existing one is a YC 2:78 Posi. You can imagine what that was like with the original 2sp Auto. We put the 200r4 in it and that’s helped a bit. But there’s no getting over the 2:78 ratio
So I was thinking that with this car rarely leaving its urban environment, it’s safe to go with a 3:55 diff and the 200r4 would strike a good balance.
I’m doing practically everything new. I’ve bought all new bearings, brakes, brake hardware, gaskets, seals, etc. I’ve spent some pretty good coin so far. Over 400USD. This stuff is not cheap, but still got to love RockAuto. I’ve seen full kits with the real Yukon diff, R&P, and deluxe install kit with bearings for about 800.00.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3974.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	629838   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3975.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	629839  

The Following User Says Thank You to 66sprint6 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2024, 10:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you are using it with a OHC, I would suggest a 3.73 since you have an OD trans. My old Lemans Sprint had a 3.90 which really helped it move.. the downside was freeway driving, of course. Helped that by installing a 5 speed.

George