Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 11-25-2020, 09:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70 bird View Post
Working on todays vehicles your an electrician.... without electricians pay! Should have listened to my parents 30 years ago! lol.
Agreed.....

1973 Firebird Navajo Orange w/shaker,1973 400/461,1972 Intake SD CNC'd,1977 Q-Jet 800 CFM w/ Cliffs Kit,Tanks Inc PA4 255 Walbro intank pump ,-8an feed/return,RobbMc Regulator,RobbMc 40 micron filter,253 CFM 6x-8's w/H.S 1:5 Roller Rockers,SD Stump Puller H/R Cam 230/236 @.050 112 lobe separation 565/.570 lift,Crower Solid Rollers,28150 Hedman Headers,3" exhaust,full tailpipes,350 Turbo,9.5" 3200 Converter,3:42 gear,8.5 posi,C/E slide-alinks,Koni adj frt shocks,Best 12.18@110.55 Lookin for 11's
Old 11-25-2020, 09:48 PM

I worked for Chrysler and Dodge dealership for 43 yrs . Mostly in wholesale parts. Great time. Befor that three years with Uncle Sam working on heavy trucks and Tanks

Old 11-25-2020, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70 bird View Post
Working on todays vehicles your an electrician.... without electricians pay! Should have listened to my parents 30 years ago! lol.
At 19 and taking up space in community college my dad talked me into taking a electrical class. I figured ya sure I’ll try it but I’ll Hate it. First thing we started talking about was 12v DC circuits. Never thought I’d fall in love. Finished my associates degree and it has done nothing but make my ability to work on modern vehicles excel. I agree that much of the modern tech has made things easier in many ways but sometimes it can get ugly.

Old 11-26-2020, 02:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Worked at Herbie’s Ford in Alexandria,VA for couple years in New Car Delivery.
Options?? .....I was your man. Go out in yard and yank anything you wanted to go on your car. 😊

ECM member.
2008 Outlaw Pontiac Drag Series Champion
MANDRA
Do it now fool! Life is short.

69 Grand Prix/3163lbs / IAII 535 w/ Tiger heads by Gaydosh....9.35@ 144 so far.. through mufflers. 1.26 60'.
Going back to track with pump gas engine....
My 60 Ventura retired to street/strip duty..
Old 11-26-2020, 03:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
I WORKED ON TWO OF THEM 455 SD ENGINES A 73 ENGINE AND A 74 ENGINE.

Pontiac Engineering sent me all of the technical information for the engines.

I installed the RA-IV camshafts and required valvetrain parts in both of them.
I personally thought it was a mistake with the low compression ratio of the 455 SD engines.
Maybe Ken Crocie can give me the straight story on what worked on those engines, (modifications).
They had a record holder TA I believe. I am Not a 455 SD expert.

That was when I first became aware of HO Racing and their books/tips.

Tom V.
Cool Story Tom > This 74 SD-455 T/A - Stock Class With milled heads 9.7 to 1 Compression and factory style tires 3.9 rear gears etc. has run a 12.46 @ 109 mph
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1SD-TA1.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	554808  

Old 11-26-2020, 03:46 PM
Boost Engineer

NICE
Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Vaught For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2020, 05:51 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Spent 4 years at Evanston Motors in SW Wyoming. Mostly a line mechanic, some as Service Writer. Dealership had: Pontiac, Cadillac, GMC, and Chrysler's Dodge/Ram products . Retired as ASE MasterTech. It was challenging to keep up with all the (computer) changes that came online with 'everything we serviced' in the late 1990's. I often asked myself: 'What am I doing in this place?. Oh yeah, I have a few stories to tell LOL ! Finally left to become the local golf course mechanic. Much better gig, including pay and benefits (tied to State of Wyoming).

Old 11-27-2020, 02:50 PM
Senior Chief

I started working for my dad in 83 (at 13). He had his own garage after working for dealerships since the 60's. After trying to get a job at a dealership and being told that his shop didnt mean anything, i went to night classes for ASE certificates. Then landed a job at Kyle Motors they were a Buick/Pontiac dealership.I worked there for 5yrs as a tech. Then moved on to Bob Morris Pontiac/GMC (used to be Ray Faro Pontiac).
Coincendently at Kyle, one of the long time mechanics there worked with my dad at another Buick dealership. My dad also worked for Ray Faro, and Bob Morris. I didnt find that out til after i started there.
My son has gone into the automotive field now also. He went to UNOH for college, and is living in Pontiac now. He would rather be working on the making and developing part, than the repairing part. He is now doing EMF testing for Ford.

Old 12-01-2020, 08:08 PM

i worked at General Motors Holden in Dandenong ,Victoria , Australia . assembling .. holden cars and Bedford trucks .in 73 and 74 . back when was done by people and not robots .

Old 12-01-2020, 08:26 PM
Boost Engineer

Welcome and thanks for the post from Queensland.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 12-01-2020, 08:52 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

i have worked on every make and model to 2019
what you want to know?