Old 08-24-2016, 04:14 PM

Default Performance brake kit?

Hello all, I have been reading the majority of the day on suspension upgrades and have yet to find a performance brake kit. I was hoping one might be able to point me in the right direction for a kit or a way that I might be able to run a 14" brake on my 64 Catalina. I have reached out to the vendors mentioned in other threads as well as Kore3 and awaiting their responses. I am underway with my pro-touring type build and was hoping to get the brake issue tackled. Thanks for all help.

Old 08-24-2016, 04:29 PM

FYI, if anyone is interested. Scarebird and Master Power both said they have kits available and they are priced around $2000. One would need to ask for them as they are not advertised. Glad to know there are options.

Old 08-24-2016, 06:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I understand the desire to keep 14" wheels, but remember that tires in the appropriate size are nonexistent, unless you go to Coker or one of the other vintage tire suppliers, and they aren't going to be suitable for a pro touring car. It may be worth considering 15" (or larger) wheels, it will give you a lot more tire choices and then the regular Scarebird kit will work.

Old 08-25-2016, 07:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah, 15" is the way to go, & you already have the rest of the answer after that. 1 supplier of 14" tires, and that is basically it.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
66 Bonneville 2d HT - In perpetual progress
Old 08-28-2016, 12:24 AM
Senior Chief

I have the master power front disc brake conversion kit on my '64 Pontiac Grand Prix. The kit states that you need to run 15" wheels to clear the new dosc brakes. After viewing the brackets, calipers and rotors installed, I don't see how someone could make the original 14" wheels work. As another member said, I don't think you would want to given how difficult it is to find 14" tires.

Old 08-28-2016, 12:50 AM

As I read it he's looking for 14" brake for a pro-touring type build - like those used on the front of a C6 Corvette Z06.

A 14" wheel on a pro-touring build - why? There's absolutely nothing available performance-wise in that rim size with 15" also looking pretty scarce. Pretty much any pro-touring build is using at least 18" wheels nowadays, great tire selection and ability to use good-sized brakes.

Going to be tough finding anyone who's selling a kit to put big brakes on an early '60s B-body I'm afraid.

14" Z06 rotor and caliper sourced from KORE3 for fitting on a '64 A-body.