Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 02-22-2021, 04:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by i82much View Post
well, as it turns out, you're not actually required to live your entire life based on the safety assessments of a random person on the internet that you've never met .. although that's probably coming soon, which is a whole different discussion ....
LOL yep I can see that coming.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 02-22-2021, 05:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
We still do all of those things today

We can always sit here and second guess, hindsight is 20/20. But the what if stuff is just something I don't waste time worrying about.

I get it that there are those that worry and want to try and prevent things, and that's fine. It's all good. It's just not for us.

I’m right there with ya!

As Mike Rowe would say, “Safety Third”.

Murf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Old 02-23-2021, 01:33 AM

In the day when I first bought my 67 it was "my truck" because it sat so high.. took it 40 or 50 miles back in the mountains and always got me home.. it sat for several years and over time did a bit here and a bit there.. probably overall putting much more in it than I ever imagined but still drive it all over (on the pavement now) but had the 4 speed originally and put the 6 speed in it a few years ago and just love driving it (still). No problem getting in it and driving couple hundred miles here another couple hundred there.. wife and kids enjoy driving it as well.. and yes I occasionally abuse it at the track as well.

9" done. EZ EFI 2.0 with FAST dual sync distributor and separate nitrous system done. Track is at 4300 ft elevation. so far a best of 11.95@116. Suspension now getting dialed in...tubular front a arms with dual adjustable coil overs HR Parts n stuff rear bar and whole car lowered 3 inches..
Old 02-23-2021, 09:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by i82much View Post
Been a few years since I last checked, but I just looked in the mirror - still got hair on my *ss, so I’ll go with the stick shift
I no longer do (EDIT - OOPS -read that as head ), but the stick shift is the correct answer.

When asked questions such as this, my answer is always tempered by the fact that when younger, I could afford only a single vehicle. Living in Missouri means ice and snow in the winter; and automatic transmissions are absolutely treacherous on slick roads, as is front wheel drive.

50 years ago, a 5-speed for me, and a 4-speed for the wife.

Jon.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 02-23-2021, 12:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by besserspat View Post
Hey guys, haven't been here for a little while, didn't know where to post this, and thought it would be fun to gauge your opinions...

So lets say this is NOT your only collector car , but you have this neglected late 70s F-body sitting in the corner of the shop.

Lets pretend its a Firebird, but could be a Camaro too.

What would you rather have:

A 500hp Poncho or BBC power and automatic (Th350,400 )

or

A 300hp Poncho or SBC power and Manual , 4 Speed ( ST-10, Muncie , etc)

Just curious to see what you guys think.
If not running at a track, I would much rather have a manual shift

Old 02-23-2021, 12:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a 64 Galaxie with a 4 speed. Factoryish 390, so probably around 280-325 HP. THen my Firebird has more like 550 HP and an auto with a ratchet shifter.

The firebird is significantly more fun to drive. Though I will admit the Galaxie not having power steering has something to do with that.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 02-23-2021, 06:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

300 is a little low for my taste unless it is in a really light (3000 pound) car. That said, boost it up to the 350-375 horse range and I'll take that over a 500 horse auto car in almost most all cases.

Old 02-23-2021, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy View Post
300 is a little low for my taste unless it is in a really light (3000 pound) car. That said, boost it up to the 350-375 horse range and I'll take that over a 500 horse auto car in almost most all cases.
I hear ya, but if we are talking about a real 350 hp stick car and 3600 pounds , this describes pretty much my LS1/T56 Powered 1999 Formula WS6 and its real fun to drive... actually hard not to drive this car like an idiot.

In comparison a brand new 1980 Camaro Z/28 had 190 hp ! Im sure if I dynoed the car now would probably put around 140 hp to the wheels... So to keep it simple and period correct I dont think I would squeeze much more than 300 flywheel hp...in my little stock 350

Old 02-24-2021, 04:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I currently own 5 vehicles and the only one that is an auto is the '72 Formula that was my dad's car. I'm considering a TKX swap and have most of the parts to do it.

Traffic is as bad here as anywhere in the country but I don't care. Moving my right arm and left leg doesn't bother me. My daily driver is a turbo 4 cyl. With about 330 hp and a 5 spd that gets ~25 mpg on the freeway. More bottom end torque would be nice, but otherwise it's the perfect driver.

Old 02-24-2021, 09:33 PM

Definitely 4 speed, after I bought my car discovered a 73 Muncie in it instead of Borg Warner it should have came with. Shifts so smooth, a friend with a 67 GTO is jealous. It has 'that noise' in 2nd & 3rd,.. need to open it up one day and see if it is a rock crusher.

Lived and worked in England 20 years ago, drove a little Renault diesel with a 5 speed. Shifting with left hand is a trick, never did get 100% used to it.

Old 02-24-2021, 10:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Of interest....

Which Manual Transmission Is Best for Your Swap Project?

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/proj...smission-swap/

Sponsor of the world's fastest Pontiac powered Ford Fairmont (engine)
5.14 at 140 mph (1/8 mile) , true 10.5 tire, stock type suspension
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDoJnIP3HgE