Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 01-11-2013, 08:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Threads like this are so important to our community. Let's you know exactly who to stay away from. Anyone who has followed any of these threads about Keisler and "Shafty" and order a transmission from them/him deserve what they get.

1970 GTO 4spd VOE Pepper Green, green int.
1967 LeMans 428 Auto. Blue, black int.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammer-6 View Post
But is the T56 Magnum rated at 700ft lbs to use that design?
alot has to do with metallurgy so upgrades could be as simple as better parts same design.
I might be misinterpreting your question, but yes, the T56 Magnum is rated at 700 ft/lbs. Actually, both the close ratio T56 Magnum with 2.66 1st gear and the wide ratio T56 Magnum with 2.97 1st gear have a 700 ft/lb rating by Tremec.

That was what originally caught my eye....When I was researching OD trannys all the aftermarket 5 speed OD trannys with the highest torque ratings were rated at 600 ft/lbs (TKO600 and RS600), while the T56 Magnum 6 speed was rated at a much higher 700 ft/lbs.

Then along comes this new SS700 5 speed OD rated at 700 ft/lbs (like the T56 Magnum), and has the same 1-4 ratios as the T56 Magnum and I said Hmmmmmmm....I wonder if they are using some of the same parts as the Tremec T56 Magnum, then after investigating further I came to understand that Legend was producing the gear sets, so while I no longer thought they were using Tremec parts, I wondered if they were copying parts of the T56 Magnum instead. I suppose with the litigous nature of the US that copying stuff would probably result in an immediate lawsuit, but?????

Again, pure speculation on my part, but I also don't believe in coincidences....

Oshawa built 1 option Judge basket case. 463, SD KRE 295's, CNC'd factory intake, Cliff's Qjet, Stump Puller HR cam, RARE RA manifolds, Pypes exhaust, T56 Magnum, McLeod RXT clutch, 3.42 12 bolt. 24 year project almost done...

Last edited by mrennie; 01-11-2013 at 10:18 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If torque rating is of concern and actually getting a transmission might want to check out American Powertrains cyroed TKO 600, 950 tq and shift up to 7300 iirc.

Old 01-12-2013, 11:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOAT WHORE View Post
Threads like this are so important to our community. Let's you know exactly who to stay away from. Anyone who has followed any of these threads about Keisler and "Shafty" and order a transmission from them/him deserve what they get.
Well, thank you Goat Whore. The reason I went with Keisler in first place is because I like the design of the SS 700. I knew what I was in for when I placed the order( read all the bad shti) I rolled the dice. My thought was even if the trans only lasted a year I would still have all the associated parts like the cross member, driveshaft, etc. to go to a TKO. At that point it would only be about a $2100-$2200 gamble cause I could always put in a TKO. If you go to American Powertrain or any of the others you still get a modified T5 and all the issues associated with those; like the shifting problems at high RPM and slight tunnel modification and so forth. So, that would be my fall back.
As to the the design rip off, to me it looks like the internals are very similar to the TKO, where the gear ratios and options are exactly the same as the 700. But the case more resembles the T56. I feel in my heart the the extra 100 lbs. of torque is due to the case design, but I could wrong.
Keep in mind the only people that market a case design like the SS700 is Keisler. Trust me if someone else offered something similar I certainly would have gone that route. If I wanted a just a TKO I definitely would have gone with someone else for sure and not even considered Keisler.
If Shafi's approach was little better(ok, a lot better) and the trans turns out to be the tranny it's supposed to be he could conceivably corner the aftermarket transmission business with the SS700.
If and I stress, IF, he delivered on time, and trans was or is everything he claims it to be, (and of course excellant cutomer service) then you guys would have admit the SS700 would be the trans to have and few people would consider the "modified" TKO, unless the price was substantially less. True?
So, again it's a crap shoot, admittedly (at this stage of the game any way).
I'm am in no way defending Keisler or Shafi. But I do like the design.

1978 Black & Gold T/A [complete 70 Ram Air III (carb to pan) PQ and 12 bolt], fully loaded, deluxe, WS6, T-Top car - 1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air numbers matching Julep Green - 1971 T/A 455, 320 CFM Eheads, RP cam, Doug's headers, Fuel injection, TKX 5 Spd. 12 Bolt 3.73, 4 wheel disc. All A/C cars
Old 01-12-2013, 11:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieT/A View Post
If and I stress, IF, he delivered on time, and trans was or is everything he claims it to be, (and of course excellant cutomer service) then you guys would have admit the SS700 would be the trans to have and few people would consider the "modified" TKO, unless the price was substantially less. True?
I would agree with you on that....I wouldn't even have cared if there was an initial delay, or if the customer service was crappy, as long as there were units out there and the user feedback was positive, that they worked as expected and had no issues.

For me, the consistent delays and pushed back dates, excuse after excuse, etc., make me very uncomfortable opening my wallet and do not instill confidence about the whole project, so I question what the future long term support will be at this time.

If Keisler does pull this off and manage to get the product out with relatively few problems, and they stand up well, I suspect that in a few years this frustration people are expressing now will be forgotten. Guys like you that are willing to take the chance are what is keeping this thing alive, so again, I hope it works out.

Oshawa built 1 option Judge basket case. 463, SD KRE 295's, CNC'd factory intake, Cliff's Qjet, Stump Puller HR cam, RARE RA manifolds, Pypes exhaust, T56 Magnum, McLeod RXT clutch, 3.42 12 bolt. 24 year project almost done...
Old 01-12-2013, 12:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

In my opinion Shafi should have developed, tested and had a bunch of units on the shelf and ready to go BEFORE he started taking orders. Growing pains are one thing, but really this is BS.
My motto is "Under promise, Over deliver".

1978 Black & Gold T/A [complete 70 Ram Air III (carb to pan) PQ and 12 bolt], fully loaded, deluxe, WS6, T-Top car - 1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air numbers matching Julep Green - 1971 T/A 455, 320 CFM Eheads, RP cam, Doug's headers, Fuel injection, TKX 5 Spd. 12 Bolt 3.73, 4 wheel disc. All A/C cars
Old 01-12-2013, 12:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A lot of "whats if's" and "could be" in this thread. My point is your $2200 gamble weights heavy in Shafties favor and it is a huge gamble. As you pointed out bad stuff is all over the internet about this guy. Big ol ponzi scheme, no thanks.

Old 01-12-2013, 02:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
In my opinion Shafi should have developed, tested and had a bunch of units on the shelf and ready to go BEFORE he started taking orders. Growing pains are one thing, but really this is BS.
My motto is "Under promise, Over deliver".
This is the problem with ANY sales / marketing driven company. I have seen this exact situation at a number of companies across diverse product lines.

They all do it, management tries to recoup engineering and marketing revenue before product is available. This allows them to gauge interest and adjust production runs to suit the demand.

The issue here is, he underestimated the demand AND the product is not available.

Not making excuses.

Old 01-12-2013, 05:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponjohn View Post
This is the problem with ANY sales / marketing driven company. I have seen this exact situation at a number of companies across diverse product lines.

They all do it, management tries to recoup engineering and marketing revenue before product is available. This allows them to gauge interest and adjust production runs to suit the demand.

The issue here is, he underestimated the demand AND the product is not available.

Not making excuses.
Ponjohn,
You hit the nail right on the head. In this case, this product could really put him on the map. I don't think an overdrive transmission is a fad. I think the demand for this particular product is going to diminish any time soon. He may survive all this.

Old 01-12-2013, 06:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOAT WHORE View Post
A lot of "whats if's" and "could be" in this thread. My point is your $2200 gamble weights heavy in Shafties favor and it is a huge gamble. As you pointed out bad stuff is all over the internet about this guy. Big ol ponzi scheme, no thanks.
Although it is probably ponzi like right now, Ponzi schemes always run out of steam. I don't think he is going to lose momentum any time soon, unless he goes out of business altogether. He definitely must weather the storm. The equipment to produce the cases(probably Shafi's investment) plus the equipment to produce the guts (I'm guessing Legend's investment), nobody is going to sit on their hands and watch all this go down the tubes. And, if it does, I promise to pick up where these guys left off! The concept is ideal in any economy. I know for a fact he has over 400 orders. Do the math. Imagine if he had all GOOD press, they were in people's cars, and everybody was saying how great they are. American PowerTrain and Hurst Conversions would wondering WTF. Look at what edelbrock did to the head market. Friggin' no brainer. Imagine what aftermarket blocks would do if you could get the price down to $1000.00 a unit, 455 blocks worthless!!! Sorry for the rant LOL.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:02 PM
Senior Chief

Default Now a SS700

I just came across this thread. This probably wont make you feel any better. I am coming up on my 2 year anniversary of waiting for my transmission. Still nothing but one excuse after another. I was promised I would have it by Christmas. Now they say February. Honestly.....I think we are screwed.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:10 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Saw this Dilbert today and it reminded me of Shafi and the keisler experience

68 Firebird 400, YC 400, Hbeam rods, ported 670 heads (2.11i, 1.77e valves), 1.65 RRs, Torker 2 intake, Nodular Crank, Eaton Limited Slip, Richmond 3.55 gears, M-20 M4
97 Trans Am WS6, LT1, M6, FLP LTs, Cutouts, Flowmaster catback, Jet Airfoil, K&N air filter, MSD Opti and Coil
14 Fiat 500e 83kW motor, 24kWh lithium ion battery, +2 sized summer tires
Old 01-24-2013, 10:03 AM
Senior Chief

Just for info: I have received my SS700 last week! They DO exist! It should be in the car within the next 4 weeks...

Old 01-24-2013, 02:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Keep us in the loop. I am curious to know how good this is. How long did you wait ?

66 GTO Convertible. LS3-525 HP. Legend LGT700 5-speed, Wilwood 4-wheel disc brakes, Ridetech coil over front susp, PMT rear susp, Hotchkis bars, Billet Specialties 18" Dagger's (18X9 rear, 18X8 front).
2002 Ram Air WS.6 convertible Trans Am. Wife's car.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Imagine if he had all GOOD press, they were in people's cars, and everybody was saying how great they are.
Imagine yourself in 7072's shoes! Again not with my money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7072 View Post
I just came across this thread. This probably wont make you feel any better. I am coming up on my 2 year anniversary of waiting for my transmission. Still nothing but one excuse after another. I was promised I would have it by Christmas. Now they say February. Honestly.....I think we are screwed.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wow, now I must be 163rd on the list!

Old 01-25-2013, 06:49 AM
Senior Chief

Guys, i have been waiting for two years also...i initially ordered a the new RS600...that was the first part of the wait. Then i talked to Shafi Keilser personally and he explained me all the problems they had with that trans. He then offered me to switch to the new SS700 wich i accepted. Honestly i must say that i don´t think he is a crook. He is just a small manufacturer who tried to build groundbreaking ne products and got overwhelmed by the complexity. I have my own manufacturing business and i know how easy long, long delays followed by more problems and even longer delays can happen. This is why i kept my mouth shut.

Now for me the most important part is the quality of the product. We will see that in a short while. At least all people here now know that the trannies are being made and shipped right now.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If they ever get their transmission delivery time down to within a month or so, and have some proven in a lot of cars without breakage, I would probably buy an SS700. Its unfortunate it has to be this way. A 700ft lb rating for the price is pretty good and it sure beats the hell out of cutting up good floors.

-1967 GTO HO Restomod. PKMM 433ci, SilverSport T56 Magnum 6spd, Moser 9", SC&C and a bunch of other pro touring goodies

- Build Thread
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...615847&page=23
Old 01-25-2013, 02:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Spoke to Keisler today, on the list at 125 down from 164.

Old 01-25-2013, 04:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Well, thank you Goat Whore. The reason I went with Keisler in first place is because I like the design of the SS 700. I knew what I was in for when I placed the order( read all the bad shti) I rolled the dice. My thought was even if the trans only lasted a year I would still have all the associated parts like the cross member, driveshaft, etc. to go to a TKO. At that point it would only be about a $2100-$2200 gamble cause I could always put in a TKO. If you go to American Powertrain or any of the others you still get a modified T5 and all the issues associated with those; like the shifting problems at high RPM and slight tunnel modification and so forth. So, that would be my fall back.
As a former Keisler customer I can say that I feel your pain. Are you saying that the crossmember and driveshaft are the same between the SS700 and TKO? If so, that might make it worthwhile for a TKO customer to swap to an SS700 rather than pay over $1k for mods to make the TKO shift better.