Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 09-29-2018, 05:22 PM

Default Hurst Competition Plus shifter

I am not sure if this is the right place for this question. If not, I apologize.
I installed a new Hurst shifter 391-7308 in my 65 GTO. I had to remove the mounting screws in my console and shift it towards the drivers side to make room for shifter handle when shifting to reverse. Has anyone else had this problem and if so, how did you fix it?

Old 09-30-2018, 04:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My '65 GTO has the original Hurst shifter with the welded (not bolted) stick. It clears the console in reverse, but it's close. In all the other stick '65-'66 GTO's I've owned with a 4 speed and console, same thing. Close fit with minimal clearance in reverse, but it always did/does clear. My suggestion if you don't want to modify your console would be to get an original '65 GTO shifter and have it gone through if needed. If not, you'll need to make a small modification to your console or shifter.

Old 09-30-2018, 07:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Usually what I do in those situations is just warm up the stick near the base and bend it slightly until it's in a position I like. Once done the boot covers up the discoloration. This way you aren't modifying your original pieces.

Old 10-02-2018, 04:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You can buy another handle.

Old 10-02-2018, 07:43 AM

Default Shifter handle in reverse

I had a similar situation. I had to replace my tunnel after a PO butchered it up with a aftermarket shifter. I had it perfectly centered but didn’t know at the time the trans mount was broke. When I replaced my mount, the shifter handle hit the tunnel in reverse. I loosened the trans and motor mounts and rotated the whole assembly clockwise as sitting in the car. This tilted the handle enough to clear the tunnel. May or may not help, depending on where the motor mount bolts are in the mount brackets.

Old 10-02-2018, 01:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Have you tried simply rotating the shifter slightly on its base mount? When rotating the shifter it's then necessary to go back and insert the 1/4" rod (drill bit works) into the alignment hole on the shifter and adjust each rod back so that the trans arms are again centered. My '67 shifter just touches the console in reverse, but I find that better than touching the console when hitting 4th. Before the adjustment, it had heavy contact when going in reverse. My stick is from a bench seat car and the exaggerated bend made matters worse, but I still got things to a happy medium with the adjustment.

Old 10-02-2018, 10:59 PM

I think Hurst made a different stick for console cars. The console stick had extra bends to place it more center in the console opening.

Old 10-03-2018, 10:05 AM

Are you using the OEM Pontiac shifter mount or the after market mount that came with the new shifter???

Thanks... Crash

Old 10-03-2018, 10:09 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Yes, I have the exact same problem. My console is left unscrewed to help get in reverse.

455/469 w/ #48 Heads, '65 Tri-Power
9.25:1 CR
Stump Puller Cam
Muncie M22W 1st-2.56 2nd-1.75 3rd-1.37 4th-1.00
3.55 Rear Differential
Front: 225/60R15 Height: 25.6"
Rear: 275/60R15 Height: 28"