Interior TECH Upholstery, Carpet, Dash, Headliner...

Old 11-03-2018, 12:52 PM

Default Rally Gage install

Has any one installed a new rally gage set in the new dash sold by Ames?
I have a few questions.
What is used to hold the lens in place for the first 3 pods? It appears to lay right against the back of each pod but there is nothing to hold it there.
What size and type of screws hold the gages to the dash carrier?

Old 11-03-2018, 01:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlloyd View Post
Has any one installed a new rally gage set in the new dash sold by Ames?
I have a few questions.
What is used to hold the lens in place for the first 3 pods? It appears to lay right against the back of each pod but there is nothing to hold it there.
On my (I think) original, there’s nothing separate that hold the lens in. You place it on, try to keep the cardboard tubes in place with the green/red filters, then screw it all in to the black dash piece.

Old 11-03-2018, 03:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Lens bumpers

The lens stays in place by the use of several rubber "bumpers." You do not want the lens pressed tightly up against another piece of plastic in the dash. The rubber bumpers help keep the clear lens from rattling over bumps, that or squeaking when the seasons change. Two of the bumpers are actually tar strips about 7/8" long and those rest in a channel at the very base of the lens; right in behind the Bezel. The other 2 are short pieces of cut vacuum hose. There are tiny posts that stick up at the back of the bezel. (The posts are molded plastic; in-between the 1st 2nd and third circle openings.) When you tighten up the gauge housing the flat parts of the lens gets pressed lightly up against the cut ends of these 2 hoses. The hose pieces need to compress slightly.

The 2 pieces of vacuum hose should be cut to around 1/4" to 5/16"ths of an inch long.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2Gau.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	496812   Click image for larger version

Name:	2Gaug.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	496813   Click image for larger version

Name:	2Gauges.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	496814   Click image for larger version

Name:	3R.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	496815  

Old 11-03-2018, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Serio View Post
The lens stays in place by the use of several rubber "bumpers." You do not want the lens pressed tightly up against another piece of plastic in the dash. The rubber bumpers help keep the clear lens from rattling over bumps, that or squeaking when the seasons change. Two of the bumpers are actually tar strips about 7/8" long and those rest in a channel at the very base of the lens; right in behind the Bezel. The other 2 are short pieces of cut vacuum hose. There are tiny posts that stick up at the back of the bezel. (The posts are molded plastic; in-between the 1st 2nd and third circle openings.) When you tighten up the gauge housing the flat parts of the lens gets pressed lightly up against the cut ends of these 2 hoses. The hose pieces need to compress slightly.

The 2 pieces of vacuum hose should be cut to around 1/4" to 5/16"ths of an inch long.
That is awesome Peter. Thanks for the reply.
I didn’t notice the small pins but will check tomorrow.
I just priced the 3M strip-caulk and it is kinda expensive. I was wondering if you could sell me some of yours. Also, if I could buy enough of screws to mount all the gauges.
Again thanks for the information.

David

Old 11-04-2018, 02:58 PM

Peter, I just sent you a PM.