Old 05-14-2007, 04:41 PM
Senior Chief

Default Update ***RAIV - is this setup identical as a Judge or did the judge have more to it?

I need to ask more questions......Sorry..... I hate being a NEWBEE..

So I was searching around this morning and found a 70 RAIV, says it is the orig motor in the car, price in the low 30K range. Is this setup identical as a Judge or did the judge have more to it?

Last edited by InjunNick; 05-16-2007 at 08:38 PM.
Old 05-14-2007, 06:21 PM
Senior Chief

The Judge option and Ram Air IV option are exclusive of each other. A 1970 GTO with a Ram Air IV would look identical to a 1970 GTO Judge with a Ram Air IV under the hood.

Old 05-14-2007, 08:17 PM
Senior Chief

thanks for the reply and info......Nick

Old 05-14-2007, 09:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Under the hood, true. I don't know if the scoops would be black on the GTO or body color, though. And, the Judge would have the Judge decals/glovebox emblem/stripes and rear spoiler, possibly front spoiler too.

Old 05-14-2007, 09:59 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by InjunNick
So I was searching around this morning and found a 70 RAIV, says it is the orig motor in the car, price in the low 30K range.
Low $30K seems like a very good price for a '70 RAIV with original motor.

Old 05-15-2007, 12:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Could easily be (and usually is) a baited scam scheme. Investigate it completely. COMPLETELY.

If there really is an actual physical Car - move FAST. Use the PHS "FAX" service (usually 1-2 hour service). Verify every code and part number under the hood. Carbs are 1500-3500 alone.

Just as an example, a 70 RamIV 4spd Judge - missing engine but otherwise complete - needing total restoration - sold for 50k - through this forum.

Judges are worth more indeed - but 30k for a complete and numbers matching 70 IV GTO is a bargain today. Especially if it's in driveable condition.

However, a/c was not available with the IV engine.

Good Luck.

Old 05-15-2007, 12:22 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Von Zeppelin
Could easily be (and usually is) a baited scam scheme. Investigate it completely. COMPLETELY.

If there really is an actual physical Car - move FAST. Use the PHS "FAX" service (usually 1-2 hour service). Verify every code and part number under the hood. Carbs are 1500-3500 alone.

Just as an example, a 70 RamIV 4spd Judge - missing engine but otherwise complete - needing total restoration - sold for 50k - through this forum.

Judges are worth more indeed - but 30k for a complete and numbers matching 70 IV GTO is a bargain today. Especially if it's in driveable condition.

However, a/c was not available with the IV engine.

Good Luck.
If this is true, then the car in question is NOT a Ram Air IV because it has A/C.
I asked if it was a III or IV and he said it was a IV, he also said that he has the window sticker and bill of sale.
Do you think that it may only be a Ram Air car and not a III or IV?
Also the scoops are black and the color of the car isn't, what could that mean?

Old 05-15-2007, 12:26 AM
Senior Chief

also, the rad has paint scraped off it and the under the black color it looks to be a gold color, does this sound right or really wrong?

Old 05-15-2007, 12:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default not conclusive

Quote:
Originally Posted by InjunNick
also, the rad has paint scraped off it and the under the black color it looks to be a gold color, does this sound right or really wrong?
That is not conclusive.. Look at the dash... does it have a center vent ? (Above the heater control) -

Do the kick panels have the pull vents or are they plain? (pull vents are non-A/C).

i.e. if its factory A/C, its not a IV car.... but its possible someone could install A/C like the factory's (cut the firewall, etc) - for example, a dealer, etc.

Also - RA III has just one preheater tube running to the aircleaner, a IV car has a preheater tube on each side (I think that's right).

I almost bought a RA III 4-speed, A/C car in Minnisota, (sp), but then I got the interior shot, and it had the non-A/C vent layout.. PHS later confirmed it was not a factory A/C car.

Old 05-15-2007, 12:42 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmygoat
That is not conclusive.. Look at the dash... does it have a center vent ? (Above the heater control) -

Do the kick panels have the pull vents or are they plain? (pull vents are non-A/C).

i.e. if its factory A/C, its not a IV car.... but its possible someone could install A/C like the factory's (cut the firewall, etc) - for example, a dealer, etc.

Also - RA III has just one preheater tube running to the aircleaner, a IV car has a preheater tube on each side (I think that's right).

I almost bought a RA III 4-speed, A/C car in Minnisota, (sp), but then I got the interior shot, and it had the non-A/C vent layout.. PHS later confirmed it was not a factory A/C car.
yes there is a dash pic and yes there is a center vent!
And no pull vents.....

Last edited by InjunNick; 05-15-2007 at 12:49 AM.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:48 AM
Senior Chief

man you guys are good......

Old 05-15-2007, 12:58 AM
Senior Chief

Old 05-15-2007, 02:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Also if RA IV it would have a 2 pc intake manifold. Crossover under the carb is cast iron and manifold is aluminum. This does not look like an aluminum manifold.

Someone said that they were natural aluminum. I know HO's were painted.

Also if 2 pre heeters were on IV's and one on III's then this is a III.

Old 05-15-2007, 02:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The engine has no appearance of being an IV. It does have all appearances of being a Ram Air III - which is still a good thing going for it. Radiator tank okay - brass.

A 70 GTO RamIII auto a/c in Nice Condition with matching or correct engine is worth in the range of what he is asking, so it may still be something you should investigate. Sounds right up your alley for an AZ cruiser.

Seller probably not a polished Pontiac guy, or, hoping for an unpolished Pontiac buyer.... Window stickers can come from anywhere in reality - bill of sale might be from the guy he bought it from, no telling. Have him scan/email the documents anyway. Before I'd drop a dime over 5k - I'd get MY OWN personal direct copy from PHS. Those things can be doctored just like anything else today.

Ain't worth over a penny of it's value in parts until the PHS says otherwise. Not impossible to have been an IV originally - engines get replaced over the years, and options added, etc... but not tremendously common to see factory replicated a/c sytems added.

Last edited by Baron Von Zeppelin; 05-15-2007 at 02:35 AM.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:43 PM
Senior Chief

So I have been talking with the dealer on this car for the last 2 days and I now have a copy of the Window Sticker.....

First off, the window sticker does not say RamAir anywhere on it.
They checked the original engine (they said it is original) and the code is YS.
It does have factory Air.....
I think I am going to pass on this car and continue to look at the 68 I have also been looking at unless another 70-72 pops up.

Last edited by InjunNick; 05-16-2007 at 08:53 PM.
Old 05-17-2007, 03:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

"70 RAIII (RPO: L74, rated 366hp in GTO) was a YZ.
YS is an RPO: L78, which is the standard GTO engine, it was rated at 350hp, and was not avalale with the Ram Air setup (at least not from the factory).

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 05-17-2007, 07:34 PM
Senior Chief

the dealer called me back today and asked me if I would pay for the PHS to prove there point to me that it is a Ram Air IV, if I do not buy the car they said they will pay me for the document, yea right.........

Old 05-17-2007, 09:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Patience is the name of the game UNLESS you are absolutely positive about a car.

You may want to check your local or other 'craigs list' for vehicles. Check with the local GTO chapter where you are located (a list is in links area here) as they may be of a great help. Most have a for sale section.

JLP

Old 05-17-2007, 09:19 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Peters
Patience is the name of the game UNLESS you are absolutely positive about a car.

You may want to check your local or other 'craigs list' for vehicles. Check with the local GTO chapter where you are located (a list is in links area here) as they may be of a great help. Most have a for sale section.

JLP

Hi Jack, I have been looking for a long while and it seems that when I find a car I like, I wait and procrastinate and they sell very quickly, it takes me a while........ My wife thinks I take toooo long......

Old 05-17-2007, 09:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Cool

To me.............if a dealer or anyone is going to sell a status car like that, they should already have that documentation for you to inspect. You shouldn't have to get that for him. Something's up with that deal.

If he wants to sell a real IV car then the onus should be on him to show you it's the real deal.