Old 06-25-2018, 09:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 65 Engine wire harness & gauges info needed

Trying to find information on what a 65 manual trans wire harness is suppose to look like. Thought is that there is a separate gauge harness that feeds the oil pressure sending unit, temperature sending unit and the tach wire to coil. Is there such a thing as an engine harness for manual trans cars without gauges or are the harnesses the same only with the temp and oil wires cut back on standard harness?

Old 06-25-2018, 11:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I just re-wired mine with an M&H harness. Exact copy of stock.

Are you talking about rally gauges? The stock harness is set up for idiot lights: I had to buy an “add-on harness” for the rally gauges. This included attachments for the tach, temp and oil pressure gauges.

Old 06-26-2018, 12:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

1965 Lemans & GTOs with rally gauges had the exact same engine compartment, dash and forward headlamp wiring harness as a non-gauge car. Yes you are correct if the car was ordered with rally gauges GM had the standard dash wiring already in-place. Added to that was an additional jumper harness which interconnects to the main and gives you the extra wires (which run out thru a hole in the firewall) These are direct run wires for Tach, oil pressure and coolant temperature.

In cases of rally gauges, the jumper wires for Dark blue (oil pressure) and Dark green (coolant temperature) leaves you with 2 unused wires which were part of the original engine wiring harness. The factory clipped these 2 wires off of the engine wiring right at the point where those 2 wires exited out of the black tape wrapping.

Old 06-26-2018, 09:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the help gents! Makes sense. The harness on my car has those two abandon wires cut outside the taped part of the harness. Will leave these alone!

Old 06-27-2018, 12:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

For years there was a debate over what the factory did with those 2 unused wires under the hood.

During the 1980s A guy Named Phil Bauman from Texas published a newsletter called Classic GTO.

In there were some excellent tech articles, (this was way before the internet) the info on those wires I remembered, it was from an article published in his newsletter.