Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 02-10-2009, 06:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Converting a remote control(cable) mirror to manual????

I custom made my door panels and there are no holes in them at all, except for the door handle/arm rest. Window cranks removed, lock plunger removed and PW switch is in center console. I very much like the clean appearance of the door panels.

I want to install bullet style mirrors, but it is difficult (if not impossible) to find them that are not remote.

I would prefer not to make a hole in the door panel or dash to mount the control knob.

Is there any way to modify a cable remote mirror so that I can use it as a manual mirror? If so, please explain how?

Thanks, Joel

Old 02-12-2009, 07:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Any suggestions?

Old 02-12-2009, 07:13 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Joel
Can't a remote mirror be adjusted from the outside, the same way that you would adjust a manual mirror?
Just have the cable stay inside the door or cut it if you wish.
Jeff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Al2b-...eature=related
Old 02-12-2009, 07:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think I MAY able to leave the cable in the door and adjust it like a manual mirror, but I'm wondering if it would need to be adjusted every time I shut the door. I was hoping someone would be able to say for sure.

I don't think just cutting the cable is a good option. I think that would just let the mirror flop around. But I don't know if it would be possible to cut the cable and then install some kind of set screws or something to hold it in place. Again, I was hoping someone would be able to suggest something based upon their experience.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:45 PM

the three cables run in housings. if you crimp the housings, the cables will drag considerably. this will allow you to effectly cut the cables about 6 inches down, crimp about 4 inches down and use as a standard mirrior until they loosen up again, hopefully in a year or 2 , and than recrimp. i took a drivers side remote and heated it enough to twist and mount to the pax side of my gto , cant even tell they never made em ( passenger side remote) good luck, z man

Old 02-12-2009, 07:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Is there enough length in the cable to somehow mount the adjuster in the armrest? (behind or below)

Old 02-12-2009, 08:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Get some with cables long enough to go through the door wiring boots and put the control in a flat plate bolted to the bottom of the dash, pointing down. The one's I used are long enough. Late 70's I think.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yea, Cable through door jamb to inside dash to allow yearly trim adj.

Otherwise, JB-Weld comes to my mind, to go cable less.

Old 02-13-2009, 09:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the replies.

The mirrors I am working with do not have a real long cable on them. I'll have to check to make sure, but I doubt that it would reach the arm rest or the dash.

If I could get the cable to the dash, I would be concerned that the flexing of the cable(opening and closing the door) might change the adjustment.

Has anyone used "cable remote mirrors" with the controls in the dash, and if so, did they hold adjustment OK?

Old 02-13-2009, 09:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Flexing of the inner and outer sheaths at the same time would not cause changes in adjustment, IMO.

Old 02-13-2009, 11:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Arrow Fixed position remote mirror..........

Joel,

My 68 GP's driver's side remote mirror has nice chrome, but unfortunately the control cables pulled out of the mirror mounts and were not repairable. I elected to mount the circular mirror permanently within the chrome housing, as I am the only driver. I started w/ a new (5" diameter?) flat mirror from the auto parts store, made a wedge shaped foam mount that fit inside of the housing, tested the fit and angle (sitting in driver's seat) while using double-sided tape to hold the pieces together, then I permanently RTV'd the pieces together. Works fine, doesn't move, and looks stock. In my case I left the remote toggle handle in the door panel after removing the operating cables.

Les
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0010.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	157906  

'65 Buick Sport Wagon Custom, 340, T350, 3:23
'66 GTO Post/468, 700R4, 3.31 (Mike's as of 9-16)
'68 Grand Prix/455, dual AFBs, T400, 2:93 posi (sold)
'72 TA tribute/461, T400, 3.08, (Russ's as of 9-16)
'97 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Turbo, Konis, 5 speed
'09 Torrent GXP, nav, Sun & Sound pkg., Bilsteins