Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 02-29-2024, 12:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A possible culprit can be to much oil laying in a blind bolt hole
bolt goes down hydro locks on the oil then in time enough oil passes by the threads un does percieved torque

reason i would put a possibility of this over bottomed out bolts is you torque a bolt down in a blind metal hole against incompleted threads or the end of threads what would change to release torque, possibly heat expansion i guess

fel pro gaskets ending in PT are permanent 1 time torque requirements, never hurts to retorque but should not be a instant fail time after time points to another problem

Last edited by Formulas; 02-29-2024 at 12:54 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Formulas For This Useful Post:
Old 02-29-2024, 01:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I always use 1016 gasket and ARP bolts with iron heads.

Have the heads been checked for cracks? I could see a head crack making you chase your tail.
Has the depth of the block's bolt holes been verified?
Is the torque wrench known to be good?

You have to ID where the gasket fails to prove the gasket seal is the issue. Where is the leak happening in the gasket?
Is it at the fire ring between cylinders, or between a coolant passage and the oil galley, or between the fire ring and a coolant passage?

White '67 LeMans 407/TH350/Ford 3.89... RIP
Red '67 LeMans. 407/TH400/Ford 3.25
The Following User Says Thank You to chiphead For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2024, 03:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Look the old head gasket over closely and that should tell if water/oil is finding a path. The photo in Post 11 has a very definite and clean imprint and it's a safe assumption that it was not passing water or oil.

All my FelPro gaskets have the oblong hole and never had a problem. Think Sam's only problem was the cracked brass liner in one of the pushrod holes.

Old 03-01-2024, 06:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Whenever I gave hadtoo much oil in one or however many of the head bolt holeit always ends up boiling up and out of the area between the top of the head and the bottom of the head bolt.

There is no way for that area to be 100% sealed and holding pressure even when head bolt washers are used
, and the the few times that I have had a blown head gasket it was not from that symptom it was from head bolt holes that where not cleaned out enough to allow accurate torque readings

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 03-01-2024, 09:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve25 View Post
Whenever I gave hadtoo much oil in one or however many of the head bolt holeit always ends up boiling up and out of the area between the top of the head and the bottom of the head bolt.

There is no way for that area to be 100% sealed and holding pressure even when head bolt washers are used
, and the the few times that I have had a blown head gasket it was not from that symptom it was from head bolt holes that where not cleaned out enough to allow accurate torque readings

My hypothesis, and thats all it is, of oil laying in a blind hole has nothing to do with the head of the bolt area

simply put a head bolt in a blind hole and excessive amounts of oil cannot maintain the same space the oil has to leave the area before the bolt can be run down fully, this takes a bit of time like oil leaving a pumped up hydraulic lifter, if a person was to quickly torque a head bolt and move on the bolt might not be putting a clamp load on the head

only a possibility food for thought not a direct diagnosis and yes head bolt holes should be chased and clean with minimum lubrication to get the job done

Old 03-17-2024, 03:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The cometic gasket my engine builder put on my 400 build, said it doesn't need retorque when I asked after dyno run. 3000 miles now and still good.

Old 03-17-2024, 03:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Everything is 'good' until it fails.

It doesn't hurt to check, and not one person here has done that. Isn't it better to know for sure?

That's all I'm saying, check, and don't assume.

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be