Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 03-15-2024, 09:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default New pinion yoke required when replacing pinion?

I've been reviewing a few videos online about rebuilding an extra 8.2 rear end that I have. I intend to build it with posi and 3:55's, and then switch it out from the 2:78 rear end that's in the car now. A few of them recommend getting a new yoke for the pinion when doing the rebuild. No big deal, I thought, until I priced one out. Is it really required? The existing one seems to be in good shape. I've already spent a good amount of money on this thing. I'm replacing every bit of hardware, the bearings, seals, brakes, brake lines, etc. I haven't even bought the carrier and gears yet.

Old 03-15-2024, 10:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

No need for a new Yoke unless there’s has been a bent driveshaft bolted to it, or if the rear has been run with slicks ( bend and twist the Yoke ) or if you WILL be running slicks.

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 03-15-2024, 02:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thank you, Steve.

Old 03-15-2024, 03:36 PM

Do a careful inspection of the old one. Make sure the caps fit firmly in the yoke and are properly centered in the yoke. Set the yoke's snout on a piece of glass or other know flat surface and measure (With calipers) from the surface to a machined spot on each corner. The measurement should be the same number all around, if not the yoke may have been damaged and needs further inspection. We've all see that guy at the swap meet with a dozen rear ends thrown in the back of a truck. He's usually the problem.

Several years ago I solved a vibration issue by replacing the damaged yoke on my Burban. An inspection revealed a damaged tang on the yoke that allowed the U-joint to be installed off center. Another gift from the PO. See photos.

As steve25 says no reason to change unless you suspect something.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200721_125252.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	630417   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200721_125338.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	630418