Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 05-25-2010, 09:42 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Running with no trans cooler?

Figured the racers would be able to answer this better.

I have a few transmissions (stock converters), engines and rears I want to check the condition of by actually running them, this includes a short test drive. If I just make a short loop connecting the in/out on the trans would I overheat the trans? I'm talking about running through the gears by going around the block. Does the heat get generated by being in gear? If in park could I run the engine for 10 min or so without frying anything? The loop would make swapping things so much easier/cleaner.

Old 05-25-2010, 09:46 PM

You'll be fine running the loop, no issues with quickly overheating the trans.

I used to run my 12-second bracket car this way, it never needed a trans cooler. Had a temp gauge on it and it rarely saw 180 degrees.

Running in Park won't generate heat nearly as much as having the trans in gear will, running for 10 minutes sitting in Park won't hurt a thing.

Old 05-25-2010, 10:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A few of the blown alky funny car racers with Powerglides do this, but they start the car, do their burnout, back up, make a 7 second pass, and then shut it down and get towed back to the pits. Back in the pits they use fans like leaf blowers on the convertor to cool it down.

Old 05-25-2010, 10:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The powerglide in my car came out of a Pro Mod and it didn't run a trans cooler. Seems more common than I thought.

63 Lemans Race Car- 8.81 @ 151, 5.60 @ 123(SOLD)

67 Bonneville ragtop

74 Firebird - 455, e heads, TK0600 in process
Old 05-25-2010, 11:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I drive my car on the street with a thm400 with only a single tube frame rail cooler. Usually takes 5 miles to even see 150 degrees on the trans. temp gauge. This cooler runs the length of the car and is boxed in with perforated metal (like no air flow) I don't think you'll have a problem.

Old 05-26-2010, 01:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The early Vegas with automatics didin't even have a cooler. They had holes in the bell housing for cooling and a little fan type addition welded on to the converter to pull cool air along it. It used to be popular to use the Vega converters as a small diameter converter but cutting off the fan thing was a pain in the arse.

Old 05-26-2010, 02:11 AM

The '64 -'65 six-banger Tempest/LeMans and early Novas had air-cooled 2-speed automatics as well.

Early Nova air-cooled Powerglide:

Old 05-26-2010, 09:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by marks73ta View Post
The early Vegas with automatics didin't even have a cooler. They had holes in the bell housing for cooling and a little fan type addition welded on to the converter to pull cool air along it. It used to be popular to use the Vega converters as a small diameter converter but cutting off the fan thing was a pain in the arse.
Use to be able to buy those reman from Transtar for $35!! Cheap stall converter and they would take some abuse!!!