Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 08-11-2021, 01:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Motor mount spacers to help with exhaust manifold clearance

I may have a line on some Ram Air exhaust manifolds. They’re hard to come by. I really need the ones specifically for the ‘66-‘67 A-body, but it appears that they will not be available for some time. The vendor expressed to me that the available ’68 and up manifolds will work with some grinding to clear the frame, etc. This being the case, would the spacers from Butler that go under the frame perches be beneficial? They’re 3/16” thick, so I don’t believe there will be any issue with hood clearance, etc. I know to keep an eye on the fan shroud, but that would not be an issue either as far as I can tell.
We’re desperate to install our new engine. I’m not a fan of headers and I read in many reviews that the round port headers need to be bashed around some to fit. They’re also out of stock anyways.

Old 08-11-2021, 02:31 PM
Boost Engineer

The 68+ exhaust manifold discharge location is in a spot not the same as the 67 manifolds. Same deal with the center runner curves.
You will need to grind some on the frame cross-member (under the engine) to make them fit IF I remember this correctly. Same deal with trying to put round port cast iron manifolds on the early cars.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 08-11-2021, 03:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

68-72 infor only;

Long Branch can benefit from Frame Mount spacers ( LH ~0.5", RH 0.75")
HOWEVER, the factory Long Branch manifolds might be fine with no spacers, while the RARE will suffer with spacers due to the Long-Branch extent has spaceres making the fit-hit or idle-rocking-hit worse.
Oh, i've studied this.

Real solution is to re-angle the Lonh-branch Exhaust surface by 1 degree or 2* to swing the manifold a wee. Milling machine can cut such correction in a breeze.

As for HO manifolds, there should be no interference, and no need for spacers. I think.

Old 08-11-2021, 04:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Glad to hear you are planning some sort of attack situation to install your new engine!!!

We've talked before about your DIY capability, I'm glad you are able!!!

I'd purchase the manifolds that you believe will work, and go from there!!!

I wonder how closely the frame holes will line up, when using the spacers???
There may be another solution using custom spacers???

Carry On!!!

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 08-11-2021, 05:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Let me start by saying I have never used any of these motor mount spacers.

When they are installed do they change the transmission output shaft angle / slip yoke to driveshaft angle? If so by how much?

Stan

David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization - Cam Selection Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV
Download FREE 14 Trial IOP / Flow Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV/Flow_..._Day_Trial.php
Pontiac Pump Gas List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_gas.htm
Using PMD Block and Heads List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_pmd.htm
Old 08-11-2021, 06:16 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Weiss View Post
Let me start by saying I have never used any of these motor mount spacers.

When they are installed do they change the transmission output shaft angle / slip yoke to driveshaft angle? If so by how much?

Stan
I used them and my yoke hit the tunnel on hills. I had to buy a shorter tranny mount. Probably changed my pinion angle a bit, but I'm not worried.

455/469 w/ #48 Heads, '65 Tri-Power
9.25:1 CR
Stump Puller Cam
Muncie M22W 1st-2.56 2nd-1.75 3rd-1.37 4th-1.00
3.55 Rear Differential
Front: 225/60R15 Height: 25.6"
Rear: 275/60R15 Height: 28"
Old 08-12-2021, 10:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

So I'm back to square one. My son was on Facebook with the vendor, whom I'm assuming most of you are familiar with, going from a positive posture towards purchase to uncommunicative. I don't understand this hobby sometimes.
In any event, I will try the spacers when I hopefully come up with a pair of manifolds. I'm not interested in headers. The reviews with pictures for round port headers in a '67 are not favorable. There's just no room. So fingers crossed that we will come up with something while I'm young.

Old 08-13-2021, 12:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm curious how you've come to the understanding that there are NO headers that will fit round port heads without hitting, when Doug's headers are known to fit the '66 without needing to ding them. I was just at a car show this past weekend and saw a '65 with Doug's headers on Edelbrock round port heads. No fitment issues present on the '65, and it's the same story for the '66.

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
Old 08-13-2021, 04:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I appreciate the feedback and the picture. I do see that it's very tight at the upper A-arm, a common complaint in reviews that I've googled. Not all of the reviews were bad, but based upon the challenges some users faced, I believed that the manifolds would be a better solution. Either way it looks like I'll have to go with the Dougs, like it or not. The other guys seem to have logistical and customer engagement issues.

Old 08-13-2021, 06:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66sprint6 View Post
I appreciate the feedback and the picture. I do see that it's very tight at the upper A-arm, a common complaint in reviews that I've googled. Not all of the reviews were bad, but based upon the challenges some users faced, I believed that the manifolds would be a better solution. Either way it looks like I'll have to go with the Dougs, like it or not. The other guys seem to have logistical and customer engagement issues.
Nothing wrong with manifolds for most people, but I wouldn't let them hold up your project.

When I was doing research on the topic for my car, I found testimonials that occasionally described fitment issues, but it was never for 1964-67 A-bodies. Everyone I've spoken to here and in-person at car shows who actually owns a 64-67 GTO/LeMans with Doug's headers has said they fit great. As the photo shows, the fitment is tight, but they do fit.

I say get the Doug's and keep your project moving along. If you decide later on that you don't like headers, you can revisit buying manifolds once the supply chain normalizes somewhat and then sell the Doug's. You'll have a half dozen people lined up to buy them. One thing that I would definitely not give any consideration to is using manifolds for your car that require you to grind/clearance the frame in any way. Just isn't worth it.

Last edited by ZeGermanHam; 08-13-2021 at 06:12 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to ZeGermanHam For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2021, 09:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A new wrinkle, possible interference on a column shift car. I'll have to call Dougs directly. Geez.

Interestingly enough. This ad popped up today locally. RAIV manifolds on an engine in a '65.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars...3658?undefined

I'd go take a look if it wasn't way out of town. But they made it happen.

Old 08-13-2021, 10:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Aren't those likely just the same ram-air style manifolds that you (and I) wanted to get from Ram Air Restoration but couldn't? What caught your attention about them?

Old 08-14-2021, 02:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Guess I was lucky I didn't read any reviews before purchasing and installing my set of round port Dougs headers on my 67 street car. Several years later they made their way to my 67 GTO drag car and again no problems. The street car was a 4-speed and only problem was the zerk fitting on the Z-bar pointed right into #7 header tube. Welded up the original hole and drilled and tapped another on the back side of the bar.

Old 08-14-2021, 08:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

For the manifolds, I was wishing to get the proprietary '66-'67 product that RA purportedly makes. But I'm thinking that the ones on the '65 that's for sale are not those special ones. So in this case I can broaden my search to look for any round port manifold, new or used. There is a pair or two available that I see.
Anyways, I'm just exploring all options. That's the way it is when desperation sets in. We're a little bummed that we might not get this motor in this summer.

Old 08-14-2021, 10:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I could be wrong, but that '65 appears to have D-port heads, so the manifolds are probably just the RM-1-OS ram air D-port manifolds sold by Ram Air Resto that fit into the 1964-67 A-body chassis without any grinding or other fitment issues. That's what I was trying (but failed) to get for my '66 with D-port heads.

Since your car has round port heads, keep in mind that according to the Ram Air Resto webpage, the round port manifolds they sell for your car (RM-4-OSA) have been modified to fit the 1966-67 A-body chassis. If you broaden your search to include round port manifolds other than those made by RARE, there is the possibility they will not include the same modification allowing them to fit into your '66 without grinding.

Old 08-14-2021, 11:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66sprint6 View Post
For the manifolds, I was wishing to get the proprietary '66-'67 product that RA purportedly makes. But I'm thinking that the ones on the '65 that's for sale are not those special ones. So in this case I can broaden my search to look for any round port manifold, new or used. There is a pair or two available that I see.
Anyways, I'm just exploring all options. That's the way it is when desperation sets in. We're a little bummed that we might not get this motor in this summer.
I could be wrong, but that '65 appears to have D-port heads, so the manifolds are probably just the RM-1-OS ram air D-port manifolds sold by Ram Air Resto that fit into the 1964-67 A-body chassis without any grinding or other fitment issues. That's what I was trying (but failed) to get for my '66 with D-port heads.

Since your car has round port heads, keep in mind that according to the Ram Air Resto webpage, the round port manifolds they sell for your car (RM-4-OSA) have been modified to fit the 1966-67 A-body chassis. If you broaden your search to include round port manifolds other than those made by RARE, there is the possibility they will not include the same modification allowing them to fit into your '66 without grinding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lust4speed View Post
Guess I was lucky I didn't read any reviews before purchasing and installing my set of round port Dougs headers on my 67 street car. Several years later they made their way to my 67 GTO drag car and again no problems.
Yep, it seems the reports of fitment issues are always for something other than a 1964-67 Pontiac A-body. There are stories of fitment problems out there, but they always end up being for the later models, or F-bodies, or whatever. Not the 1964-67 GTO/LeMans/Tempest. Thanks for chiming in and confirming they fit.

Old 08-14-2021, 12:14 PM
Boost Engineer

Classic Reproductions, sold thru Ames (and at one time PY) fit a "D-Port head and 64/67 chassis very well.

Trying to use the round port 68-up exhaust manifolds on a 64-67 chassis will require either some redesigned RARE type manifolds, or extensive Frame/ chassis mods in the front suspension cross-member (that also mounts the Engine Mounts).

I did those mods once on a original 64 chassis to mount Long Branch manifolds on the D-Port Heads. A Lot of work and at the end of the day JR Headers worked a lot better.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 08-14-2021, 12:14 PM
Boost Engineer

Classic Reproductions, sold thru Ames (and at one time PY) fit a "D-Port head and 64/67 chassis very well.

Trying to use the round port 68-up exhaust manifolds on a 64-67 chassis will require either some redesigned RARE type manifolds, or extensive Frame/ chassis mods in the front suspension cross-member (that also mounts the Engine Mounts).

I did those mods once on a original 64 chassis to mount Long Branch manifolds on the D-Port Heads. A Lot of work and at the end of the day JR Headers worked a lot better.

Tom V.

Old 08-16-2021, 07:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, I'm screwed now. The mystery motor that came with the car died. It started to make a hell of a racket I have no idea what the problem is.
I also learned from Dougs that the headers will not work with a column shift car.
So The car is parked. I'm not happy. The only other engine I have is a SBC. It may end up going in there because who knows when Ram Air Restorations will ever get the manifolds that I need. It's unfortunate that I didn't know about the challenges of the round port heads before we bought this engine.

Old 08-17-2021, 11:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Pontiac log style modular header, is the title of a thread in the”boosted” section. They only make them for round port heads. I have not read that thread ina while. Might be worth a look. There’s a good picture of one manifold.
Seemed like price was reasonable, they look very nice!
Just a thought, if nothing else.
I know little of your chassis, would be cool if they could be easily be made to work as manifolds, instead of turbo holders...

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...