Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 10-12-2020, 07:33 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400 Lemans View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0RQJvn9CLw Not mine but does it sound like this one?
It sounds very similar to that, but I think the car in your video has even a little more attitude in the idle than ours does. We have ours idling about 770 RPM though.

Old 10-12-2020, 07:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just saw that,

Yeah that one is idling pretty slow and still not much of a lope. To idle one down that low just shows how tame that camshaft really is in a 400, and no mention of compression or ICL position either.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 10-12-2020, 07:53 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Milner View Post
I ran one in a 10:1 400. It was installed straight up. Just a very slight lope at idle. It was a hard running engine with that cam.
Thanks for sharing. I hope this one runs hard too, it does idle nice and rock steady and seems to have great response so far, atleast with the car on stands. I would say alot of that probably has to do with the carb tuning parts purchased from Cliff Ruggles for this engine. We also sent him the factory RA III distributor and had him set it up for it as well.

Looking back on the cam degreeing, we would have probably been just fine installing it dot-dot, just like most people, but we wanted to try it using the Harold Brookshire method and others here use it as well. The method is to degree it using the relation between the Intake and Exhaust lobe Lift at TDC. Harold always said that you want the Intake lift between .025" and .045" higher than the exhaust lift at TDC, for a good performing engine. Using this method, our Install Position came in at about 106.5° instead of 109°.

Old 10-12-2020, 07:55 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
Those 2802's are waaaay out on a 114 LSA, and just 224 at 50 on the intake. They won't idle anything close to radical in a 400 ci engine and by no means considered borderline. It'll have a very mild lope, not much at all really, can easily be daily driven, and wouldn't even require much of any converter if at all, and work fine with very mild rear gears.
That is exactly what I have always thought when I see people talking about how it is the absolute biggest cam they would use in a street 400. I see people running more camshaft in there 350 chevys just fine on the street Lol