Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 02-10-2024, 11:24 PM

Default parts place intake

hi guys, who is using one of their intakes and how does it work for you. thanks, chuck

Old 02-11-2024, 08:49 AM

Using the reproduction RA IV intake on a KRE headed 389 +.090". Lunati roller cam, fuel injection... mild build primarily for long distance cruising and the occasional auto cross.

I don't have any real numbers for you if that is what you are asking. Ports to the intake were no worse / better than the Offenhauser that came off of the old build.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	190917_022837_19.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	628340   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190807_120011.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	628341   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190807_115941.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	628342  

1966 GTO Resto-Mod. 2nd owner California car, factory Air, Power Windows, Holley Sniper Quadrajet, MSD Dual-Sync, Gearstar 200-4R, Yank 2400 Stall Converter, HGM Compushift Mini, Heidt's Tall Spindle, UMI Control Arms, Hellwig sway bars, CPP Big Brakes, AR Torque Thrust M, Continental Extreme Contact DW
Old 02-11-2024, 10:13 AM

thanks, ra66gto that helps.

Old 02-11-2024, 10:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Others on here have posted about that intake, it looks nice but the ports are pretty ugly and usually require a gasket match or clean up porting.

DCI showed some pics of one they were working on and it needed epoxy added in some places to clean up & seal on a RA4 size gasket.

Old 02-11-2024, 10:39 AM

The intake I utilized was purchased in 2019.

Using a Mr. Gasket RA IV gasket I had no sealing issues, ports were undersized and offset to the gasket. I don't have a pic available.

I agree, for a max effort engine work would be required with this intake, for low end street use and the occasional beat on, and time constraints for the Power Tour in 2019, I did not spend any time gasket matching.

1966 GTO Resto-Mod. 2nd owner California car, factory Air, Power Windows, Holley Sniper Quadrajet, MSD Dual-Sync, Gearstar 200-4R, Yank 2400 Stall Converter, HGM Compushift Mini, Heidt's Tall Spindle, UMI Control Arms, Hellwig sway bars, CPP Big Brakes, AR Torque Thrust M, Continental Extreme Contact DW
Old 02-11-2024, 11:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That’s the problem with things like this the one that is bad gets talked about forever the ones that are nice that need gasket matched never get mentioned again. If I bought a ram air IV intake that needed weld or epoxy work to matchup to ram air IV gaskets I think it would get sent back that day. Stock intakes are far from perfect themselves on gasket alignment.

Old 02-11-2024, 11:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I bought one -in case I ever want a "correct" casting number intake for my 614 heads. First one ports were so far off I sent it back second one Dave at SD did some welding then did his plenum and port match. Close but still some spots off so we welded a little more and milled the surface again.

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
Old 02-11-2024, 12:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've been running a repop RAIV intake for a few years now. I found nothing wrong with it, was no worse than the factory iron piece I pulled off. In fact these repop casting were done using an original OEM manifold, they were never really that perfect either if you've looked at enough of them.

As far as performance, been racing the car for 25 years with the original iron intake. Switching to the repop RAIV intake did absolutely nothing to ET or MPH, it runs "THE SAME"

The only reason for the change was knowing in the future I'd be building a RAIV clone for the car and figured I'd grab an intake while they were still available. Decided to just throw it on the car a few years back to experiment with a couple other ideas. One of those being how the heat cross over acts in a daily driver pump gas situation in the Arizona heat, since I daily drive this car as well.

Happy to report the separate heat cross over certainly helps with heat soak and hot starts, keeps the intake cooler, all while keeping my divorce choke functional. And on the cold winter days where it's in the teens in the mornings, there are no drivability issues at all.

On a side note, the 455HO I built a few years ago, had an OEM 71 HO intake on it and the ports weren't any better on that than my repop piece, which is said to be patterned off of it anyway, and I could see the similarities. That engine went on to make 507/571 on the dyno with that intake in place sitting on top of ported HO 197 heads by Dan Barton, and no modifying to the intake ports was needed. That was through the stock cast RA exhaust manifolds as well.

So the intake does work well and can support some HP right out of the box.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
The Following User Says Thank You to Formulajones For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2024, 01:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have one on my stroker. I spent a lot of time cleaning up the ports, but other than that no real complaints. Seems to run strong enough for me.

'95 Comp T/A #6 M6 - bone stock (pics)
Old 02-11-2024, 01:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Good friend brought me one from the Parts Place. The ports were so far off it could not be used without extensive welding which would have effected the external look. He sent it back. I would have to assume at least some of them were usable. May have to go through the buy and return ritual.

Old 02-11-2024, 02:18 PM

thanks alot every one. very useful info. I may try one, chuck

Old 02-11-2024, 02:23 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78w72 View Post
Others on here have posted about that intake, it looks nice but the ports are pretty ugly and usually require a gasket match or clean up porting.

DCI showed some pics of one they were working on and it needed epoxy added in some places to clean up & seal on a RA4 size gasket.
I've seen/heard this too. Repops generally are not to level of quality and fit compared to an OEM part. I believe most are made overseas with questionable quality control. OEM parts are so expensive today and a RAIV intake will cost you thousands so many people are turning to the repops. That is fine, but generally, despite what some people say, an OEM part is much better. However, unless the car is going to be a correct restoration, is an OEM part worth the added cost is the question.

Old 02-11-2024, 05:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

As I mentioned, the repops are patterned off an original used as a mold. OEM's haven't been any better and I've seen more than a few. We've even talked about how the OEM cast iron intakes have been pretty ugly in the port area.

Doesn't really matter this day and age where it's cast, given the fact that most of your aftermarket aluminum heads everyone covets are cast over seas now anyway, and the finish work is done here. It's really not the casting that is the problem, in fact some of the aftermarket head castings are actually pretty nice from over seas. It's the finish work that is most concerning.

Old 02-11-2024, 06:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

How much are those things ? Has anyone ever taken one and done the full blown Cliff/SD Performance cutting and grinding like they do with stock iron intakes ?
That might be kinda cool.
I have a new Tig welder, nice set of ported 197s and a giant Thermo Quad. Maybe to the welding and fitting to run a 4150 carb like I have seen done. Lot easier than the iron intakes I have seen.
Might be a fun project.

Old 02-11-2024, 06:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't know what they cost now. Several years ago they were in the $400 range when I was buying them.

I've never found the need to touch the ports other than a simple cleanup but I have modified them in the past with the simple mods under the carb, modifying the divider that is commonly done on the iron piece. It's an identical process.

Old 02-11-2024, 07:09 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
As I mentioned, the repops are patterned off an original used as a mold. OEM's haven't been any better and I've seen more than a few. We've even talked about how the OEM cast iron intakes have been pretty ugly in the port area.

Doesn't really matter this day and age where it's cast, given the fact that most of your aftermarket aluminum heads everyone covets are cast over seas now anyway, and the finish work is done here. It's really not the casting that is the problem, in fact some of the aftermarket head castings are actually pretty nice from over seas. It's the finish work that is most concerning.
It does matter where parts are cast because offshore metals are NOT to the quality level of an OEM part. Many years ago, the Chinese bought up much of our scrap metals and boated it to China. There, the scrap is melted down to be used as casting material for many products. The metals are not pure and have glass, rubber, etc., mixed in that takes away from the strength. A prime example of this is the flat tappet camshaft failures we see today. Further, the machining processes overseas are not nearly as precise compared to the parts made domestically.

The failure rates of many offshore made parts is very high but people buy them because they are cheap and available. OEM is the best, if you want to pay the price but many people don't...You get what you pay for!!

Old 02-11-2024, 07:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hasn't really been the case, many head builders are reporting how nice the offshore castings have been, even better in some instances than the small amount of stuff still cast in the states with less porosity and core shift issues. It's the build quality after that comes into question.

The problem with USA made stuff today has a lot to do with where the business in question is located, as many states have a clause that allows business to claim USA made on their products by simply applying a procedure to said product, even though the vast majority of it is done over seas. So it's not that cut and dry, and certainly made in USA does not mean what it used to.

The fact of the matter is that most everything you buy today is coming from a foreign country whether people want to acknowledge it or not. Just finishing the product might be done here in some shape or form.

In the case of aluminum intakes, much like cylinder heads, it's just cast over there. Sometimes the finish work is done there on some products, sometimes it's done here. Like AFR enforcer heads just as one example. USA made because AFR finishes the seats, valve job, guides etc....and since they are in California, well....... Excellent product, but they are cast in China. Allows them to sell that product line cheaper yet they perform just as well and have high end parts in them.
The ones you have to watch out for are the heads that are cast and assembled/finished in china. Parts and procedures are questionable. Castings seem to be decent.

It's how this hobby as well as others have become, and it's honestly the fault of the people being cheap that drove the market this way. Might as well get used to it, it's not going to change.

Old 02-11-2024, 07:38 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Apparently The Parts Place also offers porting for their intake:

"ALSO AVAILABLE FROM THE PARTS PLACE (FOR AN ADDITIONAL $250), IS A PROFESSIONALLY PORTED VERSION OF THIS INTAKE MANIFOLD FEATURING A MODIFIED PLENUM AND CONTOURED RUNNERS FOR INCREASED VELOCITY AND PERFORMANCE FOR HIGHER HORSEPOWER APPLICATIONS."

https://youtube.com/shorts/gG15nb4FWeo?feature=share
Old 02-11-2024, 08:01 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Here's a video review that shows how bad the ports can be:

https://youtu.be/lrQFB-hNKqo?si=zxAUmsBbvflCmVOc&t=299

https://youtube.com/shorts/gG15nb4FWeo?feature=share
Old 02-11-2024, 08:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhein View Post
Apparently The Parts Place also offers porting for their intake:

"ALSO AVAILABLE FROM THE PARTS PLACE (FOR AN ADDITIONAL $250), IS A PROFESSIONALLY PORTED VERSION OF THIS INTAKE MANIFOLD FEATURING A MODIFIED PLENUM AND CONTOURED RUNNERS FOR INCREASED VELOCITY AND PERFORMANCE FOR HIGHER HORSEPOWER APPLICATIONS."
That's interesting. Wonder who's porting for them