Old 12-27-2005, 10:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Andre, Thank you for the pics and the progress updates. I certainly enjoy looking at them and hope you continue to post them.

Old 12-27-2005, 01:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwritter
Boy, this thread just made a left turn.

Agreed and it is a shame....makes me wonder about the gto hobby these days. Isn't it supposed to be about fun? Who cares what he did, it is Andre's car. I give up later

Old 12-28-2005, 05:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wink

Some people are just to full of themselves. I think the project is an excellent source of info. Keep the photos coming, Thanks Dave K.

Old 12-28-2005, 06:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't have any pictures to post today, but they are getting ready to shoot the interior color on the dash, a pillar, door uppers, qtr uppers, steering column etc.
I had 2 columns to try to make one good one out of. In both of them the lower plastic bearing retainer is busted beyond use. This is a part that is not reproduced. As luck would have it, I had a a partial column from a column shift car that I had parted out, and this had a near perfect piece. I also have the brand new lower bearing which will make for a clean operating column.

All of the engine parts are now in hand. We got the heavy duty oil pump drive shaft which is solid, and not hollow like the original.
On a downside, we got 15 out 16 correct pushrods. The 16th was too long!

Old 12-28-2005, 06:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre
On a downside, we got 15 out 16 correct pushrods. The 16th was too long!
I had trouble getting the correct earlier (shorter) pushrods for my '64 this past summer. Got the incorrect longer rods from Summit and then Jegs. Ames finally came through with the correct pushrods, which were made by Melling.

1962 Grand Prix - Cameo Ivory|389 4sp|One-Owner Survivor
1964 GTO HT - Silvermist Grey|389 3x2s 4spd|A/C|Hurst Wheels|Frame-off|SOLD
1965 GTO Post - Mayfair Maize|421 3x2s TKO600|Pro-Touring|
1966 GTO HT - Barrier Blue|389 3x2s 4spd|Red Fenderliners
2005 GTO Coupe - Yellow Jacket|Magnacharged LS2 6sp|543hp/561tq|SOLD
2006 GTO Coupe - Spice Red|LS2 6sp|20k orig miles
Old 12-28-2005, 09:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Melling is the one that manufactured the oil pump drive shaft. I forgot who made the pushrods.

Old 12-29-2005, 11:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

When painting the interior steel parts (dash, steering column, upper doors and quarters) should the paint be semi-gloss or gloss?

Old 12-29-2005, 03:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Andre, which trunk floor pan set did you opt to use and why? I understand there's a Made in USA set and also a Goodmark set that is a little cheaper. Don't know if there's any significant difference between them, but would like to know what others think.

Old 12-29-2005, 08:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The upper parst of the doors etc are a semi-gloss, in an effort to match the interior.
The dash bezel and upper dash are 0 gloss.

I'll have to double check on the trunk pan. It was a 3 piece set, and I think it was goodmark.

Old 12-29-2005, 11:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Andre,

The restification looks great! No need to justify ANYTHING to these newcomers in both the hobby and in life........

Bryan, good luck with your project...... I hope that the people that you are pissing off continue to help you with your project, cuz, you're gonna need it if you want it done by May........ Just a bit of advice..... instead of spending all your time on here harassing the adults, go out in the garage and turn some wrenches..... Asking questions about your resoration or (whatever it is this week) is one thing. Ever heard the term "all throttle, no vector"?

FWIW, I planned on doing everything but the outside body/paint on my car myself. After installing the trunk floors, repairing wheel wells, driver's floor and all of the running gear and chassis plus other stuff for over 6 years, I decided that I wanted a finished car that was better than I was able to produce myself. I know my limitations, and instead of still lying under the car trying to remove 35 year old under coating or wire wheeling/sandblasting/painting yet another unidentifiable part, I am DRIVING my GTO.........

I am no where near a "fat cat" (well, the fat part fits!) but I am fortunate that I could afford to have it done right, and I have NO regrets whatsoever...... Sorry that I am not worthy in your eyes.

Berating a fellow Pontiacer on an internet forum because he is having a car that he has owned for 25 years "restified" by someone else is ridiculous. It's even more ridiculous when it's a guy like Andre, who has been a fixture on these boards at least as long as I have been around (going on 10 years now for CP).

rztjelkfnhjs or whatever. get a life.......... Let's see your GTO!

I took my both my VIN and data plate off my '66 when it was dipped to insure that they weren't damaged, heck I even had a repro data tag made...... I guess it's now a rebody and fraudulent GTO? Give me a break........ I don't plan on selling it, but if I did, would I have to say that it really isn't a GTO, because the VIN tag was removed for a few months when it was COMPLETELY disassembled?

"I open up three deuces, I'm Never Coming Back!"

Last edited by Tripower455; 12-29-2005 at 11:46 PM.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecosbill
Andre, which trunk floor pan set did you opt to use and why? I understand there's a Made in USA set and also a Goodmark set that is a little cheaper. Don't know if there's any significant difference between them, but would like to know what others think.
I got my trunk pan set from 1A Auto, and it was the complete set with body braces and fuel tank braces. I don't know who made it, but I installed it myself, and all the parts fit perfectly and look like they're original.

I guess my GTO isn't a GTO anymore!

Old 12-30-2005, 03:44 AM
On Vacation

Send a message via AIM to Bryan Jensen
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripower455
Andre,

The restification looks great! No need to justify ANYTHING to these newcomers in both the hobby and in life........

Bryan, good luck with your project...... I hope that the people that you are pissing off continue to help you with your project, cuz, you're gonna need it if you want it done by May........ Just a bit of advice..... instead of spending all your time on here harassing the adults, go out in the garage and turn some wrenches..... Asking questions about your resoration or (whatever it is this week) is one thing. Ever heard the term "all throttle, no vector"?

FWIW, I planned on doing everything but the outside body/paint on my car myself. After installing the trunk floors, repairing wheel wells, driver's floor and all of the running gear and chassis plus other stuff for over 6 years, I decided that I wanted a finished car that was better than I was able to produce myself. I know my limitations, and instead of still lying under the car trying to remove 35 year old under coating or wire wheeling/sandblasting/painting yet another unidentifiable part, I am DRIVING my GTO.........

I am no where near a "fat cat" (well, the fat part fits!) but I am fortunate that I could afford to have it done right, and I have NO regrets whatsoever...... Sorry that I am not worthy in your eyes.

Berating a fellow Pontiacer on an internet forum because he is having a car that he has owned for 25 years "restified" by someone else is ridiculous. It's even more ridiculous when it's a guy like Andre, who has been a fixture on these boards at least as long as I have been around (going on 10 years now for CP).

rztjelkfnhjs or whatever. get a life.......... Let's see your GTO!

I took my both my VIN and data plate off my '66 when it was dipped to insure that they weren't damaged, heck I even had a repro data tag made...... I guess it's now a rebody and fraudulent GTO? Give me a break........ I don't plan on selling it, but if I did, would I have to say that it really isn't a GTO, because the VIN tag was removed for a few months when it was COMPLETELY disassembled?
Tripower, I didn't have a problem with his car...it was the whole radiator cap deal that threw me out of shape. Since he clarified himself, I have no problems with him. And I never said people were STUPID for having their cars worked on by other people...I just think it's a waste when 100 percent of the car is done by somebody else...

Anything 99 percent and below is alright in my book

Old 12-30-2005, 10:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Bryan,

I looked at your car on the Pypes site. Looks real good. Why did you use the "U" style clamps. The stainless steel band type look and work much better. Although it cost more.

By the way...I really don't care about all this BS about who does what themselves and who sends stuf out. I did more that I ever thought I could with the help of the people on this board. It gave me the confidence to pull the body off and just go with it. Knowing that when I get in a jam,,,Hundreds of people where here to help out. And I use this site to the Max... I will be sending the body out..for I know my limitations and like Andre says.."I decided that I wanted a finished car that was better than I was able to produce myself." And I'm NO FAT CAT...I scrimp and save money where I can..Take on extra work..House money is house money and car money is car money. I never mix the two and it adds up.

Anyway Good luck with you car It looks good.

Anthony

Old 12-30-2005, 12:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Jensen
Tripower, I didn't have a problem with his car...it was the whole radiator cap deal that threw me out of shape. Since he clarified himself, I have no problems with him. And I never said people were STUPID for having their cars worked on by other people...I just think it's a waste when 100 percent of the car is done by somebody else...

Anything 99 percent and below is alright in my book
Bryan, I really admire what you're doing. Heck, I started a project that is frighteningly similar to yours at the ripe old age of 32, and it is a daunting task. I had a '66 hardtop (boy do I wish I had kept that!) when I was your age as well, and I could barely spare enough extra change for a set of headers, clutch and a cam at the time, and I paid $1100 for the whole car in '83. Forget about paint, bodywork etc. Keep at it, and when you're done, never sell it.

IMHO, anyone who owns a classic Pontiac is OK in my book, even if they just signed a check for it (unless of course they are like the AH you described with the GT37). We all started somewhere, and we all have different levels of commitment to the hobby, which can also change as you get older. Attitude is everything, and if someone doesn't know something, it's up to us to help them out, as I'd expect to be helped out when I don't know something.

Just because you are doing a lot of the work yourself, doesn't mean that someone that DOESN'T do it is a lesser Pontiac person. I did not assemble my car, but I could have. I chose not to. From what I know of Andre, he is doing the same thing.

As a father of 2 kids, my time is worth a lot to me. My kids and I are having a far better time with the car done then we ever had with it in a million pieces. After 6 years of blasting, painting and welding, I chose to focus my attention on other things since I knew that I'd spend 4X the time finishing it, compared to a good shop, and that there are certain things that are a LOT harder than they look at first glance (aligning doors, fenders, hoods, decklids, installing and adjusting glass, latches etc.....) It wasn't even that expensive in the big scheme of things, when current value is taken into account, I can still clear about $15K over what I have in it.

We all have varied talents and abilities, and while I'd LOVE to be able to do body work like a pro, I prefer to have the abilities that I have, to do what I do, and be able to afford to have a pro do the stuff that I can't.

Happy New Year!

Old 12-30-2005, 12:27 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Here is my $.02 worth.... First of all I have talked to Andre numerous time and bought parts from him.. a great help and very fair on prices and the parts are all better that represented. So he must know something!!!!!!

As to having the work done by others--- BFD!!!!!!. I am doing a 66 GTO complete off frame restoration (whoops wrong word- not all parts are orginial). Some things I can do myself, other I CHOOSE to have done by professionals for the results you get. Why?? The answer is simple efficiency and money. I own an insurance agency that employes 7 other people, now which is more important working and making enough to make payroll for 7 other who depend on you or swinging a wrench (swinging a wrench is less stressful that dealing with the public on insurance). Also I have waited 35 years to have a car that cost $ 3500.00 in 66 to have one with 45 K in it in 2006. In 66 trying to have $ 3500 was no different than wanting a Million, today with all the kids grown and only one left in college (graduates in Dec 06) and that house you bought 25 years ago that you thought would never be paid for close to paid off, its time for me to enjoy what I have waited 30 years for. I enjoy working on my car and do all I want to, the rest is done by others due to time and patience. Somethings I have no patience for and I recognize that up front and have it done, the other I want to have this car to drive now, not 3, 5 or 10 years later. Do I have a butt-load of money, NO, NO I don't, this is my only hobby and/or receration, so I have some disposable income to spend here.

This thread started off good and needs to return to that track. There are "Different Strokes for Different Folks" and we need to respect that. I personally appreciate Andre's post and pictures, they are great and a great help. Let's drop the childish issues and enjoy the hobby for what it is getting more restored (yes I used that word) back on the road. Good luck in finishing Andre, mine should be complete ny mid-January.

Larry

Old 12-30-2005, 01:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My apologies to all good board members for my part in taking Andre's thread down the wrong trail. I'm looking forward to more of his pics, myself.

Old 12-30-2005, 01:45 PM

I have just recently joined this group and have read a few of the post on this particular topic.

I have bought a few parts from Andre over the years. I also met him a few years ago in Bend, Oregon at the annual "Tiger Run". I have found Andre to be a very knowledgable and friendly person.

It seems clear to me that there is nothing about the car that he is trying to hide. I have enjoyed the reading (well not all the negative comments) and progress pictures. Please continue!!!

I have owned my car since 1983 and feel that I have a relatively high level of knowledge on '66-67 A-bodies. However, I am still learning more. I know of Andre from another forum and he has always been willing to offer helpful information. That is what I am here for....the Help! And offer it when I can.

I think that it is wonderful when anyone can take a car that is in the condition of his and repair, restore, chop-cut-rebuild (what ever you want to call it) and bring a car back to road worthiness.

All said, I'm sure that this will end up being a true work of art. I want to follow the progress of this car because I'm happy for Andre and feel that I will learn something in the progress.

I wish Andre the best of luck with this car and hope to have the opportunity again in the future to spend some time chatting about our cars.

Cheers!
Scott

Old 12-31-2005, 10:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I appreciate the support that I have gotten from all my Pontiac friends across the continent.
Today's pictures are of the assembled shortblock. If you go back to some of the earlier pictures, you will see that my crank was cracked, the rods were suspect, and there was pitting some of the cylinder walls.

Cylinders 7 and 8 had to have sleeves put into them to save this block. It is the orginal block, so this was a must.

A neutral balanced rotating assembly was purchased from Ken's Speed Shop Alias "The Dude". The motor was already .060 over from when I rebuilt it in 1981. The dude machined dishes into the top of the pistons to bring the compression down to a reasonable 9.5 to 1.

In my budget, I had not allotted funds to an engine rebuild, muchless a upgraded rebuild that I am getting, but I think I will be much happier than I would be with a broken crank and detonated block.

I went with a brand new balancer. My old balancer was coming apart at the seams. There was also a groove in the collar portion that slides over the crank. The new balancer came with a collar, so I didn't have to retro fit it with the paper thin sleeve to fix the groove problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shortblock1.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	37135   Click image for larger version

Name:	shortblock2.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	37136  

Last edited by Andre; 12-31-2005 at 11:02 AM.
Old 12-31-2005, 06:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The upper and lower portion of the dash has been painted. The upper portion of the doors and quarter area along with the A pillars have been done.

The gold appears slightly different due to flash photography.

This is my last installment for 2005. Happy New Year to everyone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dashpainted.jpg
Views:	602
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	37218  

Old 01-02-2006, 02:16 PM
On Vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre
I guess when I made the comments about saving the radiator cap, gas cap and oil filter cap so I could install them myself, and take credit for the restoration, that not everyone realized it was a joke.

For the many years that I have been going to car shows, I meet people who have "restored" their cars. At least this is what they tell you. In reality, the car was usually restored by a shop, or a previous owner. This is what I was poking fun at.

Unfortunately, this seemed to send this topic in a tailspin.
Andre,

I am sorry that I had difficulty telling when you are serious and when you are joking. It upsets me when people take credit for the work they didn't do or if they swapped vins. I was willing to give you benifit of the doubt and keep my mouth shut on the vin swap but you stuck me deep with your joke that was written serious in nature. Swapped vin or not, your car built is the best I have seen in a while. And I gave you credit on this.

mrrat1, 68addict, tripower455,and Pecos,

You'll get mail from me.