Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 08-12-2016, 06:43 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elarson View Post
Crowmod will have real Pontiac power at Indy.

Eric
As little Jack would say, he is gonna get skull dragged down the 1320...unfortunate but most likely true.. If he wants to go pro mod racing, he will need a competitive motor and the Pontiac isn't it..

Old 08-12-2016, 06:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Roberts View Post
As little Jack would say, he is gonna get skull dragged down the 1320...unfortunate but most likely true.. If he wants to go pro mod racing, he will need a competitive motor and the Pontiac isn't it..
But he'll get all the attention for being the cool underdog. Nobody will remember who else was there, regardless of how fast they were.

Eric

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”
Old 08-12-2016, 07:25 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elarson View Post
But he'll get all the attention for being the cool underdog. Nobody will remember who else was there, regardless of how fast they were.

Eric
So basically nhra is turning the class into a circus...its about racing, not feel good stories.. Dont get me wrong Eric, I dumped a lot of time and money into the Pontiac hobby and we ( our team) came up with some new parts and modifications to heads and blocks that were implemented into castings by the manufacturer through our little r&d program... However, pro mod is a whole other ball game...I hope it works out for Justin but I'm guessing he isn't going to make friends among the big player in the class due to the above mentioned reason..

Old 08-12-2016, 08:19 PM
Boost Engineer

That deal is no different from The INDY deal with Danica or the NASCAR deal with Danica so at some point the crowd will get smaller and Chief will have to prove that he belongs there. Simple

I wish him the best of luck on his effort.

Tom V.

I believe I saw Billy's G's name on a Pro Mod sheet so he is/was able to make it in that class as a good driver.

Jimmy Keen won The Pro Mod Championship with his vette a couple of years ago. Nothing says that Justin can't drive as well as Billy or Jimmy.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 08-12-2016, 08:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't know if this is a good idea for Justin or not, really nobody does. Is he going to win Pro-mod at the US Nationals with a passenger car engine designed in 1953? Nobody is crazy enough to write that script. But, The word "Pontiac" will be said more this year at Indy than at anytime in the last 20 years. A traditional Pontiac engine will try and likely fail to qualify in a class of purpose built race engines. Justin will get some driving experience in front of a big crowd. NHRA will sell some tickets and people will actually watch an NHRA race on TV for the first time in many years. Justin will likely take some hard knocks during the week. He has some dues to pay, it's a good character builder. Who knows, if the stars all align, lots of other cars break, and the track is lousy, he might just make the show. I wouldn't take that bet but I wish him the very best. What a boost for the Pontiac hobby if he makes a good showing.

Old 08-12-2016, 08:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Fans like an underdog.
Fans like a "circus".
Fans pay the bills...directly at the gate and indirectly by supporting the sponsors.

Eric

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”
Old 08-12-2016, 09:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That right there. We need money pouring into the tracks to keep them open. People in the stands spend money at the track. If he brings people in its all good. Will he go rounds who knows. I don't realy care. Allot of people love this guy and will go to see him at least try to make the field.

Old 08-12-2016, 09:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Allpontiac has been dealing with Justin since 2009. He bought the IA II block he is running today In 2009. It has been run, blown up, dragged down the track, and flipped over and over. Is has been rebuilt many times. He used a $1000.00 gift certificate.

Rodney Butler has done a great job building the motor for him. The Butlers are still running the same IA II block for years too.

I have never met the man in person. Frank has talked to him many times. He loves his Pontiac and he keeps his plans close to his heart.

We all wish him well in anything he does.

Allpontiac supports him 100 percent.

If you read this Justin, thanks for everything you have done for us Pontiac guys.

Quickest, Fastest, Best selling Pontiac Aftermarket Block IA II and Tiger Heads

Boss Bird Funny Car
Best pass to date 08/06/2016 6.027@231.64
Allpontiac Big Chief Aluminum Engine Block

http://www.AllPontiac.com
Old 08-12-2016, 10:31 PM
Suspended

LOL coat tails TTFMF!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert C. View Post
Allpontiac has been dealing with Justin since 2009. He bought the IA II block he is running today In 2009. It has been run, blown up, dragged down the track, and flipped over and over. Is has been rebuilt many times. He used a $1000.00 gift certificate.

Rodney Butler has done a great job building the motor for him. The Butlers are still running the same IA II block for years too.

I have never met the man in person. Frank has talked to him many times. He loves his Pontiac and he keeps his plans close to his heart.

If you read this Justin, thanks for everything you have done for us Pontiac guys.

Old 08-12-2016, 10:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Chief is one driven SOB. this is just his foot in the door. if he set his mind to it, I don't doubt he'll be at the top of the class, eventually. maybe not with traditional Pontiac power, but if someone could do it with Pontiac power, it will be him.

to quote him from the show "I'm going to shove that crow right down your throat."

BCTTFMF!

Last edited by Matt Meaney; 08-12-2016 at 11:19 PM.
Old 08-12-2016, 11:10 PM
Suspended

^^^^this^^^^^^

And it could be Pontiac power to boot!

Old 08-12-2016, 11:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Quinton View Post
^^^^this^^^^^^

And it could be Pontiac power to boot!
he's definitely stubborn enough to try it. lets hope he succeeds!

Old 08-13-2016, 01:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

This may have been posted before.

http://www.nhra.com/story/2016/8/11/...u-s-nationals/

Quickest, Fastest, Best selling Pontiac Aftermarket Block IA II and Tiger Heads

Boss Bird Funny Car
Best pass to date 08/06/2016 6.027@231.64
Allpontiac Big Chief Aluminum Engine Block

http://www.AllPontiac.com
Old 08-13-2016, 07:29 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert C. View Post

Amen to this, it's just too bad there is no longer a Pontiac manufacture that could pick up on this.

Old 08-13-2016, 09:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
I don't know if this is a good idea for Justin or not, really nobody does. Is he going to win Pro-mod at the US Nationals with a passenger car engine designed in 1953? Nobody is crazy enough to write that script. But, The word "Pontiac" will be said more this year at Indy than at anytime in the last 20 years. A traditional Pontiac engine will try and likely fail to qualify in a class of purpose built race engines. Justin will get some driving experience in front of a big crowd. NHRA will sell some tickets and people will actually watch an NHRA race on TV for the first time in many years. Justin will likely take some hard knocks during the week. He has some dues to pay, it's a good character builder. Who knows, if the stars all align, lots of other cars break, and the track is lousy, he might just make the show. I wouldn't take that bet but I wish him the very best. What a boost for the Pontiac hobby if he makes a good showing.
Well said, This is pretty much what think about this deal...there's no telling how the heavy hitters are going to respond. I'm sure there will be some not too receptive. Stand tall Justin, and chase the dream! Good luck!!! We are behind you because we all are devoted this Pontiac engine.

T-400/PTC 4000/390's/30x9 Hoosier radial slicks,#3400
1.38 60' 6.32 @ 108 MPH at Northeast Dragway NC 5/23/15 (9th pass on new engine)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ePCu2v...ature=youtu.be

1.37 60' 6.26 @ 109 half track, 9.86 @ 136 1/4 mile, #3350 11/26/16 at Richmond Dragway (125th pass on new engine)
Old 08-13-2016, 09:56 AM
Suspended

Heavy hitters won't care about him......their there to WIN the "BIG GO"! The qualifying field will be NASTY.....Justin picked the wrong race to enter. Maybe if half the field drops out, HELL had he even made a 1:4 mile pass in his car? Anyways I wish him LUCK, still kinda COOL!

GTO George

Old 08-13-2016, 01:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

i can't say i ever have seen pro mod coverage on tv. i know it's never been with the regular event coverage in the past. so, i looked it up and now i know why. it's only a half hour long at some odd ball times.

http://www.nhra.com/nhraontv/promod.aspx

now i see velocity will start to have it beginning on Oct. 5th, but i don't get that channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJXUEapzCVM

i'm sure midwest street cars will have good coverage of Chiefs part posted in their you tube channel.

Old 08-13-2016, 09:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I did a little research of NHRA Pro Mod racing this year. They have run the Pro Mod class at 6 events so far this year. I looked at the #16 qualifier to see what Justin would have to run to make the show at those races. RESULTS: Gainsville 5.98@246.44 Houston 5.94@245.99 Atlanta 5.998@239.91 Englishtown 5.966@245.18 Bristol 6.047@239.82 Norwalk 5.984@226.13. So that is what it takes to make the show this year so far. Obviously, he would have to run as good as a Pontiac has ever run to make the show, but it is not as far out and crazy as I thought before I really looked into it. It's going to be extremely tough but not impossible based on what he, the Butlers and a select few others have done. Being in the top of the field is another story. Go Justin. Making the show would be HUGE.

Old 08-13-2016, 11:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
I did a little research of NHRA Pro Mod racing this year. They have run the Pro Mod class at 6 events so far this year. I looked at the #16 qualifier to see what Justin would have to run to make the show at those races. RESULTS: Gainsville 5.98@246.44 Houston 5.94@245.99 Atlanta 5.998@239.91 Englishtown 5.966@245.18 Bristol 6.047@239.82 Norwalk 5.984@226.13. So that is what it takes to make the show this year so far. Obviously, he would have to run as good as a Pontiac has ever run to make the show, but it is not as far out and crazy as I thought before I really looked into it. It's going to be extremely tough but not impossible based on what he, the Butlers and a select few others have done. Being in the top of the field is another story. Go Justin. Making the show would be HUGE.
W-o-W that's fast. More impressively, that's faster than the Kauffman dragster so Justin has to really step up to pull it off.

1980 Formula 350 Pontiac back burner project
1972 LeMans 350 Pontiac
Old 08-14-2016, 12:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I think Chief ran as fast as 4.03 in the 1/8 mile in February at Lights Out. That's roughly a run in the mid 6's in the quarter based on a conversion calculator on John Wallace's site. I don't know if that is a good on version for a turbo car because the back half so strong or if he has run faster already because that was 6 months ao and I believe the engine wasn't running optimally. It will be interesting for sure.

Good luck and GO CHIEF!