Non Pontiac Motors in Pontiacs includes factory 403,305,350 Chevy, Buick V6,
Also Pontiac Motors in non-Pontiacs!

Old 07-06-2016, 12:32 PM

Default 454 in a B Body?

Kicking around the idea of swapping in a 454 instead of rebuilding the 389 in my 65 Catalina. I've seen the swap done before but know very little of what it takes to make it fit. Engine mounts, cross member, driveshaft? Has anyone made this swap before in a large Poncho?

Thanks

Old 07-06-2016, 03:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A 455 would be a lot easier swap. And it wont devalue the car like a cheby would.

Old 07-07-2016, 06:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Although I have NOT performed this swap...
My thoughts would be of using the later 70's type mounts. I talking about the clam shell mounts that bolt to the frame. Chevrolets used them also. The Chevrolets used what looked like a box, open on one end, it had holes front and rear and sat down over the clam shell mount with the typical 6" or so, long bolt joining them together.
You could lower the engine and trans together into engine bay with both parts of the mounts bolted to the engine. Level the engine from side to side.
Not sure at all how this might or might NOT work. Some measuring of frame and mount spacing beforehand would give you an idea if you are close.
Spacers might need to be made if frame is too wide, can't imagine frame being too narrow on one of these car's, another thing to measure before you got too far along.
I'm sure you could use small block brackets on this deal, they are plentiful, came on tons of vehicles. Cars and pickups might be different, if so getting a set of each might give you some adjustability for installation. Buy the frame clamshell mounts new, they are cheap.

Do you already have the 454? If so, what year?
I too favor a Pontiac engine, it's your car. Swapping a 389 for a 454 would weigh fairly close to the same.
Have fun!

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 07-07-2016, 10:35 PM

I don't have a engine right now just looking to see what's out there. Hoping to find something that's almost ready to drop in. Another idea that came to mind...500ci Caddy!!!

Old 07-07-2016, 10:43 PM

It's not that hard or expensive to find a good-running Pontiac 455 for a reasonable price that's a simple bolt-in deal.

You'll find that you won't get off cheap with all the messing around, fabricating and cobbling that a non-Pontiac engine install will take.

In the end it's going to cost more to put in any Chevy, Olds, Cad or any other non-Pontiac engine.

Old 01-25-2024, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBurgundy View Post
I don't have a engine right now just looking to see what's out there. Hoping to find something that's almost ready to drop in. Another idea that came to mind...500ci Caddy!!!
Any updates on the motor swap?

Old 01-25-2024, 02:43 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Old post, but a Canadian Export car of the same vintage may have a clue on what parts are needed.