Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 02-22-2004, 09:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't know about that Goatman. Destroke a 400 say 3.30" Inject it, You could just use the Ford computer, adapt it all to the pontiac, bolt on a hairdryer, put the engine in the mustang, take out the 100lbs. to get the weight back. And I say you would be closer than you think. You just need heads.

"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams

Right and wrong doesn't need facts all the time.
-Lighthouseman ("lawyer")

Starnes Performance Automatics
www.Starnesperformance.com
Old 02-22-2004, 09:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Since we are on the subject, the local Ford v.s Chevy race is usually dominated by Chevy. I think it was the year before last when a Chevy powered Mustang Finished #1 Ford. I know that was then- not now.

"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams

Right and wrong doesn't need facts all the time.
-Lighthouseman ("lawyer")

Starnes Performance Automatics
www.Starnesperformance.com
Old 02-22-2004, 09:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hell I'm faster than all the fords and can cut a better light too!

-Rob

Old 02-23-2004, 05:06 AM
On Vacation

TTS, that's great in theory, but why hasn't anyone done it?

Is it becuase everyone is scared of EFI, or no one wants to pay for it? I've heard both here.

Is it because no one here has pockets deep enough? Maybe. I think that's the case (see below).

Is it because untill you can figure out a way to make a Pontiac live at 9500 RPM with its horrible oiling system then it will never happen? Absolutley. Too many heavy parts, too much RPM.

Mustang heads, minus the Yates and Neil head, don't flow much, if any, more than a Wide Port head and definitley not more than a big Wenzler head. No excuse there.

Embrace new technology, and the battle will be half way done. As long as its still "safe" in Pontiac people's minds to just go to Pontiac only events and bracket race with their Q-junks and Performer intakes, we'll always be left in the dark....

PY's first and ONLY real, live celebrity. If you don't know, you better ask somebody!

Old 02-23-2004, 09:07 AM
Suspended

Goatman,
Here we go again with that 10" tire stuff and 3,000 lb. crap (opps, sorry). In the REALworld (I go to a lot of dragstrips & bracket races) a Pontiac running 7.90 N/A is awesome and WILL hold it's own if not out run any Big Block (Ford, Chevy or Mopor) all things being equal.

Who in the heck would want to build a 360 cubic inch anything? (Tom V. & you must eat lunch together)

The only racers slinging their engines to 9,500rpm's are the one's with a blank check book, us blue collar race car drivers have to watch our money we have families to support. Me for one will never take my engine to 7,000rpm's don't need to, Pontiacs can run in the 7's without winging it that high. Like I said before less rpm's less valve train breakage, but you actually have to race more than twice a year to learn that.................right G/M. See, the idea is to go a quick as you can WITHOUT (and that's the key word) breaking parts!

See what you started RAY!

Headed for the seven's!

Old 02-23-2004, 09:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

"360 cid anything"

Now that's funny, LOL!!!

-Rob

Old 02-23-2004, 09:29 AM
On Vacation

Another typical Pontiac guy, head stuck in the sand...........

What do you mean by all things being equall? You saying the same size CI Pontiac will make the same HP as a BB Chevy?

Hi, I'm earth, have we met?

The rules state 360ci max. That's who. There's about 100 guys at each FFW event with the same idea. Wow, that's more than any Pontiac class ever had, even for the brackets....

Who would want to build a 360ci motor that makes 1400HP at the rear wheels? Sign me up.... If it had a Pontiac head on it, you'd all be in line too.... So let me get my waders and shovel..

PS, I'd love to have lunch with Tom someday. He's done more than you have, that's for sure. At least he's honest.

As for the rest of your statements, I can see you don't get out much at all.

Maintenance for my buddies' car last year:

Valve springs at half season.
Oil and filter.
Spark plugs.
4 sets of tires.
The end...........

Its what happens when you have a superior product and can tune.

PY's first and ONLY real, live celebrity. If you don't know, you better ask somebody!

Old 02-23-2004, 09:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I hope no one here is trying to compare a Pontiac to a Ford or Chevy.

Horsepower to Cubic Inch and

Dollar for Dollar.

Build it fast, build it right, build a Pontiac.

http://PontiacDude.cc

Old 02-23-2004, 10:41 AM
Suspended

Goatman, Goatman.........Goatman,

Yes, ALL things being EQUAL (and that's one of those key words) a Pontiac WILL kick their (Chevy, Ford or Mopar) butts and that IS from experience!

360 cubic inch ?????? Yea.......right. Who cares!

Yea ...........you are on Earth but you are sitting in that great big, soft, comfortable, easy chair. You know, being one of those arm chair quarterbacks.

Shovel, you say...........you must do a lot of gardening because we know you ain't dragracing.

I have accomplished more accidentally on the dragstrip than you have or ever will on purpose.

I don't think I'm typical, but I am definitely a Pontiac guy and PROUD of it.

Oh yea Goatman, Sir.........I am very honest, ask my Mother.

Headed for the seven's!

Old 02-23-2004, 11:05 AM
On Vacation

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PONTIAC DUDE:

Dollar for Dollar. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Someone is Dude, which is why I'm going to end this on my part. George has said enough, so I will simply let his own statements speak for themselves. Anyone who knows anything about racing just discovered who is full of it and who isn't, even if you know nothing about heads up street car racing at all.

Its sorta like entering in the special olymipcs talking to George. It just makes no sense............

Old 02-23-2004, 11:16 AM
Suspended

Goatman,

There's that name calling again............BAD Goatman!

Headed for the seven's!

Old 02-23-2004, 11:48 AM
Senior Chief

1st of all I want to say that I am as big a Pontiac lover as anyone out their. Have owned some really rare cars. 62 421 Catalina, 67 ram air automatic Firebird, 68 ram air gto convert, automatic, And have raced Pontiac powered stuff since 1966. That being said, You just cannot compare A, what I call true Pontiac and a chevy or ford. Yes their are some impressive Pontiac powered cars that are naturally aspirated. Jack Gadhoshes for example. It has to be makeing in the 900 hp range, maybe a little more. I have not talked to Jack, but how reliable is it and how many passes does he make without serious maintance. We ran are 505 IA combination with twin injectors on alcahol and went a best of 7.57, worked on it all the time. We put together a basic 565 chevy with Dart heads, single domminator on gas and made 940 hp . we have just over $12.000 in this motor and I will bet the car will run in the 7.30 range. Hey a pontiac is a great choice for a bracket racer who wants to run in the 9's or 10's they will run for ever, but if you start makeing some serious power you better be ready to have a fat billfold and love to work on it all the time. Been their and done that, then finally after trying to run S/C for two years with one, Brandon finally convinced me that we were beating our heads against the wall. A perfect example of Pontiac's in comparison. Joe Cochran ran a nastalgia S/S 61 Catalina for 2 years. He ran a best of 10.38 with a 9 inch stock suspended car at 3800 lbs. this was a stock block with E heads, no wide ports and 2 afb carbs. Tom Wilhite has a 59 Cat, back haved, 14.32 tires, 4 link suspension, 540 IA motor with electronic fuel injection, fastest I have seen the car go is in the 9.90's. I would bet that he has considerably more money in the IA motor than Joe had in the stock block for an extra 4 'ths. It is all in what you want to do, but you guys tell me how many passes a year you make with 7 second Pontiacs. As Mr Lopes, tells me I am an old man who lives in the past. Hey, I will continue to live in the past with my 61 Cat, that we have pieced together with all of the left over junk , but I will also live in the future with the 565 S/C car.

Old 02-23-2004, 12:56 PM
Suspended

J Brady,

I'm kinda confused on your numbers............how are you picking up 6 tenths of a second with 40 horsepower (Jacks 900hp to 940hp from that BB Cheby), I don't think so. Your not going to run 7.30's with 940hp anyways, unless it's in a Dragster. Anyways I'm thinking Jack is pushing closer to 950 horsepower N/A on gas (probably with around 520 cubic inches). I'm talking flywheel horsepower.

I would have no problem running Comp (car can run 8.70's in it's sleep, in reverse, in 90 degree weather with a head wind) at any dragstrip . Yea you are going to cry He's got a blower but let me tell you I only shift at 6200 or less (no valve tran problems........try that with a Cheby) and running a .660 lift cam, my car weighs 2850 with me in it.........no breakage (once I figured out the head gasket thing). I run my car as often as possible (it's a bracket car). That is the consept ot go fast and not break. I'm planning on stepping it up this year different heads and just may take it to 6,400rpm's, maybe). Yea Pontiac's will always cost more to buid, that's just life it's a supply and demand thing. You ran 7.50's (that is flying for any car) in your car, you could have backed that combo down put on gas and it would have run 8.90's all day and never have broken any parts! See it can be done! Thanks

Headed for the seven's!

Old 02-23-2004, 01:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

J Brady, you have some good points there, but you're also comparing a 565cid class engine with A 505cid class engine. Let us know how it does in the car.

Todd Fontana scared a lot of diggers at 7.80s and he probably only had 20,000 in the whole kit including the trailer.

-Rob

Old 02-23-2004, 01:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I Love my Pontiacs too, but.........

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PONTIAC DUDE:

Dollar for Dollar.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Build it fast, build it right, build a Pontiac.

http://PontiacDude.cc

Old 02-23-2004, 01:10 PM
Senior Chief

George, It is a dragster, and try to be competitivein Nhra S/C running 8.90 at 150 mph. If you can't run at least 165 off the stop your in trouble. You talk about reliability, but you never said how many passes you made last year. Keep track of your time slips and Let us no. We did back it off and ran one domminator on gas last season, car was a 8.10 player with very little work, but spin the motor 7500 and try to go fast and you work on it all of the time. I respect you guys who try to fly with the Pontiac stuff, but if you are trying to show a profit bracket racing and you put 300 plus runs on a season, you better have a couple extra IA motors setting around. I don't care weather it is blown or not. Bring that blower motor over and run S/C I think you will be suprised. and lets talk Dollars I didn't see in your post how much you have in the blower motor or how much Jack has in his combination.If you look at the quick 16 qualifying at Norwalk every year the guys who qualify fast usually don't make 1st round. Explaine that all you have to do is go to kauffmans sight and look at the last few years. the fast cars usually don't make it past qualifing. chek it out

[This message was edited by j brady on February 23, 2004 at 03:20 PM.]

Old 02-23-2004, 01:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Actually I think this year's KRE Q-16 had no replacements in the lineup even had 8 open vs. 8 doors. Was fastest ever to boot.

-Rob

Old 02-23-2004, 02:07 PM
Senior Chief

Rob, I just pulled up the quick 16 from last year. On the open side Jeff was No.1 at 7.82. at 169 I no that car has ran in the 7.40's Why so slow now? You look on the door side and the 1st four were all high dollar IA combinations. Where were all the nitrous cars? What won? A dragster with a mild combination, Dave Wallace. Hey Like I said you can run one if you stay conservitive as Dave and John do and be very succesful, but when you go fast you work on them all the time. At our local track their are several 468 and 496 combination dragsters that will run 8.0's. All I am trying to say is if you race alot and you want to go fast it better have a chevy motor in it!

Old 02-23-2004, 02:15 PM
Suspended

J Brady,

Do you realize how fast my engine would be in a Dragster. I could throttle stop it to death and still run big MPH. I would bring it over to Comp but I don't want to slow it down seems kinda silly. I live in Michigan we race from April to November. Me, my racing schedule doesn't start until May I Hate the cold weather I would love to live in a warm weather state but I don't. I have a 17 race schedule this year but I am also going to NASA Space Camp, Kings Island, Cedar Point & Disney World that's a pretty busy May through November, remember I'm a family man with a step son. I won't get 300 runs in a season not even 200 but this is also going to be my 3 year on my short block! I got the best parts money can buy in my short block but anyone making 950+ horsepower better. I Qualified for the quick 16 got down to the Semi's, I also won Saturdays bracket race. The Big Boys that Qualified for the Quick 16 are pretty damn good racers and I would put them up agains any 9 to 11 second car in a bracket race.(I'm not knocking the slower cars, just trying to make a point, no hate mail please).
Jim go on KRE site I'll be in the Quick 16 list also there's a picture of my car on there site. Wallace beat me in the Semis' in the Quick 16 because I forgot to turn my air shifter on. Opps!Thanks

Headed for the seven's!

Old 02-23-2004, 02:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Since we are talking Ford and Chevy--how about Mopar? SS/AA, Harry Holton's Baracuda 8.58 @ 151.92.

fasteddy