Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 02-21-2004, 09:50 PM
Suspended

Tom,
3000lbs................so 2800 or 2500 is not heavy enough? Making your own rules up again I see. Why in the heck would someone want to race something that heavy unless they had too? More weight, more parts breakage...........that's really smart? And who care if you have a buddy with the blown flathead streamliner that went 315 last fall at Bonneville anyways. We all have buddy's.

Goatman,
Who care if they are running only 10" tires, that's like saying I want to foot race you in the 60 yard dash but you can only wear size 8 shoes? If you can hook on 10" tire fine, it doesn't matter. I've seen too many cars (Mustwang 5.0's) get loose past the 1/8 miles and get in wrecks and do the nasty with the guard rail. I'll keep my 14.5" tires, thank you.(I like to bring ME back alive)!

Tom,
The FAST Chevy Pro Mod guys are running in the 6 teens with one power adder.

"Street cars"? you call them whatever you want, they built them for one reason and that's to go in a straight line..........DRAG RACING! Does it make any sense for a car that was built to go in a straight line (DRAG RACING) to have the headlight's work? Or windshield wipers work? If you run in a class that says you have to FINE(theres nothing wrong with that)........but don't knock the rest of us DRAG RACERS in our DRAG CARS because we don't want to carry the extra weight (I myself don't like parts breakage)! As for racing at just Pontiac races most of the cars that Qualified for the Quick 16 at Norwalk bracket race at other races.

Being embarrassed .........not me! Maybe if the factory spent TONS of money on the Pontiac engine and we had better parts but Pontiac doesn't spend the money. So how can we be embarrassed or laughed at going as quick as some of us have gone on so called ancient parts......."WE" aren’t, at least.....not the real Pontiac Drag racers!

Headed for the seven's!

Old 02-22-2004, 07:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Lets see here; Goatman=Pontiac, since you have stated here in this forum that your next car would probably be a, mustang, that would make horsesa$$=ford RIGHT!!!!! I calls em,like I reads em.

There is always an alternative! 15 yrs NHRA tech, non retired, again!

Old 02-22-2004, 08:58 AM

Tom:

So long as I can run in the 8's with a pure Pontiac block and heads (keeping my fingers crossed) and that little power adder I just bought, I will be a happy fella...I don't look to dominate at my local track down here but if I can whup 90% of the Fords and Chevys I will be satisfied...especially since we have Chevy door slammers doing 3.7's in the eighth mile during the quick 16 shootouts at mooresville dragway.

Yes I do live in Nascar country and some of these guys have gigantic budgets and their times reflect it.

Now give it 3 years to see what has come out of the pontiac parts pipeline and make sure all the trouble shooting is over and I think it may be possible to really get damn competitive with those other guys with the proper power adders. So I'm gonna wait before I buy that Butler Aluminum block and those DCI heads but I will buy them.

Since Ford and Chevy racers look down at us like we look down at the ricers it is just hilarious to send some of those guys back on the trailors. Every time I see a Mopar, Buick, Oldsmobile or AMC beat a Chevy or Ford I'm a happy fella.

I was driving down the local boulevard the other day in my 76 Trans Am with the 474 in it and came up behind a Ford Lightning so I pulled up beside him going about 45 mph and he saw me there and gunned it...well so did I and I pulled that son of a gun to about 100mph and he just let up...I was laughing all the way to the next light. The Lightning pulled up behind me and then next to me and the fella just kept staring at the TA. I gave him a thumbs up and he gave me a weak **** eating grin and just kept staring at the car. I bet that boy was pretty pissed and shocked that a "junky" ole firebird just smoked his 40,000 dollar supercharged truck. He will probaby trade the thing in. It made my day. Thats what it is all about.

Old 02-22-2004, 09:20 AM
On Vacation

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tikiklubracing:
Lets see here; Goatman=Pontiac, since you have stated here in this forum that your next car would probably be a, mustang, that would make horsesa$$=ford RIGHT!!!!! I calls em,like I reads em. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm just thankfull you don't call them like you spell them........

George, that's a very convienient argument....... Almost. I guess no big tire cars ever crash, huh?

Bottom line, go to any event other than a Pontiac only bracket race, and 99% of the cars here go home after the first round, if they even qualify.....

PY's first and ONLY real, live celebrity. If you don't know, you better ask somebody!

Old 02-22-2004, 09:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

DICKSHUNARRY

There is always an alternative! 15 yrs NHRA tech, non retired, again!

Old 02-22-2004, 12:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via MSN to thefirebirdm@n

Hey Dragula, I need your e-mail address to get the phone number to that speed shop up in Charlotte!! Thanks...

Jimmy
www.firebirdgallery.com
2002 WS6 M6 Trans Am
1970 RAIII Trans Am
1969 GTO

"If you own a Firebird, I'm interested in putting it on my site!!!"

1973 Trans Am 455/4-speed
1971 Formula 400/400
1969 GTO 400/400 - 3rd owner
1968 Firebird Convertible 350/200R4

POCI - AAC
Old 02-22-2004, 03:14 PM
Boost Engineer

Obviously George did not read the heading of the original post. "Talking Smack and how come so little of it going on"

All I did was bring up the "weight" deal again as
The rules in "Super Street" say 3000 lb. If George
wants to bracket race and run at a lighter (less
chance of breaking parts) weight so be it.

If George wants to run 8s and potentially 7s so be
it. The reality is I could say I am the baddest
guy on sixth street in Podunk, Mississippi at
3:00 pm on February 22, 2004 and who care cause
I would still be a small fish in a big pond if I
was compared to Mike Tyson. If you want to "box"
don't cry when I say Tyson could kick your a$$.
If you are "boxing" or racing to impress someone, find someone else to impress because I have seen the best in both sports.

I really like the part about George's comment about "Buddies" Obvious that he got where he was all by himself and never asked any of his racing
"buddies" for advice. He might go a lot faster if he was not a "self made" man.

I brought up the Bonneville deal as I have experience in many aspects of racing and can know
what a fast car really looks like. Same deal goes for a NASA engineer, may not have ever set foot on the moon but may be the world's expert on it.

Now George would run that guy down too because he was not the guy ACTUALLY DRIVING the space craft.

See George's deal is "if you ain't the driver, you
ain't *****" I don't agree with that philosophy.
You can have a lot of people that know how to get down the track like Austin Coil who do not DRIVE.

I give Ken Keefer a lot of credit as he has been involved in racing for a long time, has built fast Fords, Chevys, and Pontiacs and lives in Florida where they bring in really fast cars every week-end and knows what a fast car really is. Tiki fits into that category too from being a Tech guy for years.

Drag, I am glad that you like to jump on 5400 lb
trucks with your 3800 lb vehicle. Really impresses
me that you can kick a 5400 lb+ vehicles a$$ with
your 455 Pontiac. After all he only had a 329
cubic inch engine. Really just giving you ***** as those 329 inch 5400 lb trucks can be made to go
pretty fast.

As far as the Ford guys don't post on the board,
what's wrong, afraid that we might help you go faster?

I would say that most of the "hate mail" (minus
George's normal comments toward me) are based on the fact that Goatman posted on this topic and so we had to have the "Goatman Haters" chime in on
this one too.

Have at it again as I have said my piece for a while until George "flames" me again for not being
a "driver" of a race car.

I found the article about Bert Straus and his Ram
Air 4 headed Aster deal. Does anyone have info on
him running a V head later on?

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 02-22-2004, 03:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Polar-Pontiac:
I could not care less if Fords are faster.I am a Pontiac guy .So to all the Ford lovers pack your ass in your Ford and head on over to the Ford Forum .There is no place for you here .This is a Pontiac Board,at least the last time I looked. Nuff said.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have both a firebird and a mustang and try to keep tabs on what's happening in each community.

The ford-world is absolutely on fire right now with parts & technology. There is a lot of innovation happing in that community. I have this month's HPP - 82 pages. I also have this month's muscle mustangs & fast fords - 274 pages.

A lot of that technology can be adapted to our pontiacs. To me it's important to pay attention to new technology wherever it may be deployed and look for ways to use it on my own cars.

While my mustang is a pretty cool little car I am much more interested in developing my firebird. A little technology transfer might just be the ticket.

Old 02-22-2004, 03:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Nope got the same article you have Tom. One other tidbit back when John Herslow was running V stuff he told me that Pmd made some Heavy Duty blocks for them before ending production. John was always generous and square with me in our dealings(he's the one that got my wife hooked on Toyota's) (Tom V how can Ford get so much power out of a small c.i. engine? Maybe if we meet someday you can help explain this to me)just saw your post Tom I traded some of those blocks both 2bbl and 4bbl blocks. Funny thing John told me the 2bbl blocks were heavier casting.

Old 02-22-2004, 03:35 PM
Boost Engineer

Ran across an article where Herslow was running the dragster with the 4 cylinder and the tunnel ram stuff. Would have liked to see that rail run.

Those guys were innovaters too!

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 02-22-2004, 03:51 PM

Hey Tom:

No personal attack at all....just saying I had some fun with that Ford...and I respect how fast those things can be made to go....like I said I don't have to be top dog ...so long as I can beat most of them...

Old 02-22-2004, 04:10 PM
Boost Engineer

Drag, No problem!

If I actually was a "driver" you might get a shot
at me one day. Until then nail as many of Colletti's trucks as you can. Never liked that guy

Tom V.

Old 02-22-2004, 05:48 PM
Suspended

Goatman,
Yes Sir big tire care wreck also but I like my chances better with the big Meats on the back over the small ones.

Tom,
Yes, I get a lot of information from my buddy’s but I have also learned a lot on my own. Experience is a very good teacher (if it’s on the job as opposed to hear say), it’s also not the best way to learn (normally it’s expensive) but you do remember it. I wasn’t ripping you because you are not a driver (this time) but it’s a completely different world out there when you are driving what you built, you look at things completely different. It’s pretty easy to sit behind a desk or at home sitting in a chair and tell other people what someone else has done or how fast someone else is going (arm chair Quarter Backs). When was the last time you spent a day or two at a Dragstrip, I’m not talking about dropping someone off and leaving but actually getting out of you air conditioned car and talk to some of us racers. I could be wrong but it sounds like it’s been awhile (I don’t think sitting in a Dyno room counts). I’m a bracket racer and a damn good one......I don’t run from anyone, if you want to strap Mike Tyson in a race car I’ll race him and probably kick his rear end but don’t get mad if I keep my helmet on after. I like my ears the way they are......in one piece.

By the way any N/A Pontiac running 7.90’s will easily hold it’s own against any Big Block Ford IF all things are equal.

Headed for the seven's!

Old 02-22-2004, 06:47 PM
On Vacation

A NA Pontiac running 7.90's couldn't take my buddies' 360ci Mustang with a 91mm turbo, ladder bars, a 28x10 tire, weighing 3100lbs.....and no Yates/Neil heads either.....

He's gone faster than that.

Why build a BB Ford with all the extra weight when a small block can make as much power and is more durable to boot.

PY's first and ONLY real, live celebrity. If you don't know, you better ask somebody!

Old 02-22-2004, 07:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Goatman:
A NA Pontiac running 7.90's couldn't take my buddies' 360ci Mustang with a 91mm turbo, ladder bars, a 28x10 tire, weighing 3100lbs.....and no Yates/Neil heads either.....

He's gone faster than that.

Why build a BB Ford with all the extra weight when a small block can make as much power and is more durable to boot.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Let's compare apples to apples, shall we?

Now let's put that hair dryer on the Pontiac and see what happens.

Old 02-22-2004, 07:43 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Exactly,well said Brian.

Jeff Verdi
68 Firebird
5.95@115
3000lbs.

Old 02-22-2004, 07:46 PM
On Vacation

I'd love to see a 360 ci Pontiac duel with the same ci Ford.

Won't even be a race.......

Old 02-22-2004, 07:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Gonad, please take yourself out with the rest of the Ford garbage.

Jeff Verdi
68 Firebird
5.95@115
3000lbs.

Old 02-22-2004, 07:53 PM
On Vacation

Sorry Jeffery, this is America and I have the right to my opinion....

Even if it doesn't go with the Pontiac "head in the box" way of life.

Old 02-22-2004, 09:14 PM

I'm all for a bit of bench racing and smack-talk (even the dose of BS that inevitably goes along with it) ... BUT:

...the amount of disrespect that flies around among some of the faster folks here is pretty sickening. If some of you spent as much time being constructive as you did slamming each other around and acting like 4y.o. know-it-alls, we'd ALL be going faster. Maybe even be competitive w/ the "other" guys?? Just food for thought.

1981 Trans Am, 462ci/4sp
1995 Formula
1963 Bonnie (for sale)