Old 06-07-2019, 01:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default '64 Bulkhead Connector

Is the bulkhead connector the same for a 6-cylinder as a V-8? I know the wiring is different. Just not sure about the actual bulkhead connector.

Old 06-08-2019, 12:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Idk but I bet if you call M&H and ask them they will tell you. They have always been super helpful to me even when I wasn’t buying something. As a side note I would think so cause all it does is pass power back and forth and either engine or passenger compartment would have the same needs just different wire locations

Old 06-09-2019, 07:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes

Old 06-09-2019, 11:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the replies

Old 06-12-2019, 07:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hate to reply without checking some resources but IIRC, the engine side V8 wire harness connectors would be Tan, the 6 cyl would be Black.

When I installed the reproduction engine side wire harnesses in my GTO, I discovered they did not reproduce the Tan connector, just the Black.

My original Tan connectors seemed to be in good shape and someday I may swap the connectors for "correctness".

See this thread that I started, note that I posted bad info in the opening post, corrected it in Post #12, so be sure to read it all.

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=823134

The Bulkhead Connector is the part of the Fuse Block that pokes thru the firewall to which the (2) 10 pin wire harness connectors connect to.

The 6 cyl version would be Black, the V8 would be Tan. I reused my original so I have the correct Tan version.

I can't say if the connectors are the same except for color but I can't detect why they wouldn't be from a review of the respective wiring diagrams.

Old 06-12-2019, 08:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

John, the depth of your research never ceases to amaze me. I have bookmarked the thread you provided as a link. Thanks for the info. As a side thought, would it be possible to use SEM paint to achieve to correct tan color with the new connectors?

Old 06-12-2019, 08:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I suspect you'd be disappointed with the paint results over time if not immediately but I never thought to attempt that.

I suspect it would be easier to find junk original wire harnesses and disassemble them to salvage decent connectors. Or a junk fuse block that might still have a decent bulkhead connector that you could use.

I suspect the connectors are not one year only and likely can be found in other GM Div cars as well. Gotta be more guys than me that have anally kept junk wire harnesses that would be willing to part with them. Pulling the wires from the connectors is supposed to be fairly easy though I have yet to try it on my own connectors.

Keep an eye out for anybody parting a V8 Tempest. Good luck.