Pontiac Business Entities Exchange Sources, Compliments and Grievances in regard to Pontiac parts or services rendered by an individual or business.

Old 09-03-2002, 08:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Napa and Advanced Auto are both really close to my house. Autozone is a bit further. Why is it that everytime I'm in a jam and need something quick neither Napa or Advanced have what I need? 2 or 3 times I've made the mistake of hitting these places first to save time but end up wasting time because they don't have what I need. What is Autozone's edge? Is the company more in tune with the hobby? Not to mention, I've never had a guy at Autozone ask me what make is a GTO! Geez, I about fell over when the guy at Advanced asked me that, and he wasn't just some 16 year old summer jobber either!

Just curious...

Old 09-03-2002, 08:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Napa and Advanced Auto are both really close to my house. Autozone is a bit further. Why is it that everytime I'm in a jam and need something quick neither Napa or Advanced have what I need? 2 or 3 times I've made the mistake of hitting these places first to save time but end up wasting time because they don't have what I need. What is Autozone's edge? Is the company more in tune with the hobby? Not to mention, I've never had a guy at Autozone ask me what make is a GTO! Geez, I about fell over when the guy at Advanced asked me that, and he wasn't just some 16 year old summer jobber either!

Just curious...

Old 09-03-2002, 09:13 AM
Suspended

Autozone?

Heehee!

Got me some Mercedes diesel glow plugs for about half of what everybody else wanted.

;)

Old 09-03-2002, 09:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Noticed the same thing in my area Humbler. One reason could be that AutoZones computer part number database goes back to the 50's while other stores only go back to early 70's. They seems to have a good inventory to work from.

Old 09-03-2002, 10:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Scott, thanks for the reply. A post is not a post without your presence! :D

Old 09-03-2002, 10:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Autozone, the best? :confused:

The only positive experience I can relate from Autozone is consistently buying their Coastal PowerClean for a whole lot less than SuperClean (same thing) from Wallyworld. Parts wise, our Autozone parts counter "people" are in their own little zone :rolleyes: totally lost.

Old 09-03-2002, 01:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I love the life time warranties.
I get a (free) new alternator every 3-5 yrs...
and this week I'll get a new waterpump! :D

Old 09-03-2002, 05:57 PM
Senior Chief

Lousy quality parts, but good guarantees, and seem to stock more than other chains. Good in a pinch, but otherwise forgetaboutit...

Old 09-03-2002, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lightfoot:
Lousy quality parts, but good guarantees, and seem to stock more than other chains. Good in a pinch, but otherwise forgetaboutit...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That pretty much sums it up.

In my town, AutoZone is the dominant chain, and they do stock a good selection of motor oil, plus AC/Delco filters, but when it comes to reman parts-forget it. As far as chain stores go, O'Reilly or Carquest has been a better bet for me. Sadly, there are fewer and fewer of the independents out here-the big boys are running them out. :(

Old 09-03-2002, 07:06 PM
Bonker's-T-Cat Moderator

Auto zone?
Buwahahahaha!
Rofolol!
The place is seriously lacking in the warranty dept and Talent! Most cannot even look up stuff on the computers! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Old 09-03-2002, 08:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A lot of my old compadres work at Autozone. Dont have to carry in receipts for warranties and if you are fairly knowledgeable on parts and know what interchanges if you already bought one from them your next cars parts can be under warranty also. I just carried in a starter that died on me. Looked at the computer and I thought I had already bought one. Thinking back later it was for a different car that I bought in 92. They gave me a new one no questions. Also nationwide warranty. Advance pays their help real cheap young kids that dont know a Bonneville from a GTO. Is that GTO a 4 cylinder or a V6 mister?????

Old 09-03-2002, 09:59 PM

I have an old independant parts supplier nearby, so I try to give him all my business, and his counter guys know more about Pontiacs than the dealership nearby.

Plus the owner recognizes me when I walk in.

(That's a good thing, right?)

Kurt

Old 09-03-2002, 10:28 PM
Senior Chief

Autozone????

My dad was a engine machinist for 35 years at the local NAPA. He swore by their products and for good reason - good quality and they last. The franchise has changed hands now and all those old countermen (as well as Dad) are running that big NAPA store in the sky. Although the faces are new, they still get my business.

No kids either. Adults that understand cars and know that their computer does not go back to 1964, so they reach for the parts book and locate what is needed, like Balkamp headlight adjusters for a 1964 Grand Prix. Advance, Autozone and Car Quest all told me they carried no such thing. 5 minutes after going in the local NAPA, I'm walking out with the EXACT replacement.

Rob has a point....after my wife's Firebird lunched the 3rd warranty Advance alternator 350 miles from home, I found a local NAPA jobber in Gettysburg, PA and bought a real alternator. No more problems.

You roll the dice with Autozone/Advance batteries, alternators, electrical parts, reman, etc. The only thing I by from them now is car cleaning supplies if the local Wal-Mart is out.

1964 Grand Prix
1966 Bonneville Brougham
1980 Trans Am - original owner
Old 09-04-2002, 07:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'll have to look around for an independent in the area. I'll also give napa another shot, as I've only had problems with "over the counter" stuff, not parts.

Not to be a stocker but I almost feel like I need to get the work schedule of some of the guys / girls so I don't have to deal with the morons! No matter what store.

Old 09-04-2002, 08:34 AM

Heres a good one, I went to Advanced to get some vacuum line fittings and stuff. I went to the counter to pay and the guy says to me, "is this for the Goat?" WHOA! I said "how in the hell did you know that?" Turns out hes a buddy of my sons and my car is already somewhat of a local legend. And it hasnt even been out of the garage yet!
Advanced has burned me many times on alt,starters, etc. I finally decided not to buy anything electrical from them again. Their counter help is a joke.
Autozone so far has been painless and the counter guys seem to be sharp, not a bunch of kids.

Old 09-04-2002, 04:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I thought I would be getting a free water pump tonight (autozone) but instead My 3-5 yrs are up on my alternator. :D :D

I knew it was a bearing!!! it just wasn't the pumps turn yet. ;)
Gotta love them lifetime warranties!

Old 09-04-2002, 07:31 PM
Senior Chief

In my old neighborhood the National Auto parts store was the place to go..
Prices were ok but somehow they always had what I needed..
If they didn't the napa around the corner did..
Schucks was always a blank look or the wrong part..

The Napa by the new house has been good.. It helps that there's a cute gal behind the counter that knows her stuff.. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Scott Schering
Http://www.pontiacs.org
Old 09-04-2002, 09:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

i gotta give "Twilight Zone" a thumbs up.
ten years ago i was on the road outta town in my '79 when i had a spring fly loose from the clutch disc. it wedged itself in the fingers of the pressure plate and would not allow the clutch to engage. well to make a long story short, the local ZONE gave me a total clutch assembly free of charge and i didn't even have the reciept.
all my previous business information was in their database.
i continue to use the ZONE for their lifetime warrantee products(waterpumps, alternators) as they far outlast the OEM units from the factory.
on another note, there is also the NAPA warehouse store close by when i need those parts for the ol' birds.

Old 09-05-2002, 10:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I would use the Zone more if the counter people could speak English as well as Spanish. I go to NAPA for parts-good quality and the main man at the counter is a Pontiac Fanatic. I buy my oil and parts cleaners at the Zone because it is only 4 blocks from my house. Sometimes I use Checker S/K for parts if NAPA is closed.

Old 09-06-2002, 05:09 AM

I like AutoZone because they have the stuff I need more often than Checker or NAPA. Plus, the AutoZone by my house is open 24 hours a day!!!

1987 GN
1978 T/A