Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 10-01-2002, 08:18 PM

I need to know how I can tell whether or not the oil leak (which is leaking like crazy) is coming from the rear main, or if it is coming from the back of the oil pan that wraps around the crank? I'm trying to sell my car, but with this nasty leak, which consequently gets all over my headers and smokes like a bejesus, is turning potential prospects away. Not to mention it's my only form of transportation right now, so I need to get this problem fixed.

Also, how can I check to see if their is an oil pressure build up due to blockage in the engine?

Here is what happened. The oil filter adapter gasket was leaking, I fixed it, and then all of a sudden the back of the engine started leaking like crazy. It never leaked up until that point. What would cause this to happen? Should I go back to a stock oil pump and take off the high volume/pressure oil pump?

I'm desperate for answers. Thanks in advance.

Many have tried to prove that they're faster,
But they didn't last and they died as they tried.

Hell bent
Hell bent for leather

Hell bent
Hell bent for leather
Old 10-01-2002, 08:18 PM

I need to know how I can tell whether or not the oil leak (which is leaking like crazy) is coming from the rear main, or if it is coming from the back of the oil pan that wraps around the crank? I'm trying to sell my car, but with this nasty leak, which consequently gets all over my headers and smokes like a bejesus, is turning potential prospects away. Not to mention it's my only form of transportation right now, so I need to get this problem fixed.

Also, how can I check to see if their is an oil pressure build up due to blockage in the engine?

Here is what happened. The oil filter adapter gasket was leaking, I fixed it, and then all of a sudden the back of the engine started leaking like crazy. It never leaked up until that point. What would cause this to happen? Should I go back to a stock oil pump and take off the high volume/pressure oil pump?

I'm desperate for answers. Thanks in advance.

Hell bent
Hell bent for leather

Hell bent
Hell bent for leather
Old 10-01-2002, 10:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Your questions cannot be definitively answered on this board, unfortunately.

It's often difficult to tell the difference between a pan leak and a main seal leak, though real big leakers are usually the seal. Replace pan gasket (paying special attention to the back of it), then you'll know for sure.

It is extremely unlikely that anything you did to the oil filter adapter gasket has anything to do with your leak at the rear of the engine. Oil is delivered to the rear main bearing first, but after the oil filter so if you somehow installed the gasket wrong at the adapter, if anything it would cause less oil to flow to the rear main. It's also unlikely that your old adapter gasket was leaking enough to relieve pressure on the main seal and prevent it from leaking, it would have had to literally been spraying oil out. Even a stock 40 psi pump is capable of pumping all 6 quarts out of your pan in about 10-15 seconds.

What new pump did you install? A 60 psi or 80 psi pump? I've heard that the 80 psi pumps can cause problems with rear main leakage but don't have any direct experience. I do know that when I fire my engine up cold, the pressure goes off the scale if the engine is revved (over 80 psi) and I don't have any rear main leaks. I'm running the BOP rear seal.

If your rear seal is leaking, installing a lower pressure (inferior) pump is not the answer, replacing the rear seal is.

Old 10-03-2002, 10:25 AM

If it will help you, I had the same type of leak from the rear area of the engine. Thought for sure that it was the rear main seal. It was the oil pan gasket in the rear area of the engine. Replace the gasket on the pan first with a goog high quality gasket first and then you will know. My bet is that it is the gasket!

Old 10-03-2002, 11:52 AM

I'm going to take the car over to my friend's next week and pull the pan and see what I can see. I'll let you guys know where the leak was.

Hell bent
Hell bent for leather

Hell bent
Hell bent for leather