Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 09-27-2021, 01:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Engine flutters under hard acceleration

Lately, I've been having problems with my engine acting funny under hard acceleration. Typically this happens from stop or a low speed when I stand on it. If the car is moving faster than 15mph, it's usually not a problem. The reason I say fluttering is that the engine feels like exactly that: it doesn't die, it just kind of loses power but I can feel it trying to make power. If I back off the pedal, it get's better in a few seconds. All of the fueling and everything seems to be OK. I just replaced all of the soft parts of the fuel line and the sending unit. The only thing I can think of is the cheap-azz ebay distributor that we put in, although it's worked just fine as far as we know.

Old 09-27-2021, 02:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Find a good OEM distributor or rebuild one. Get yourself a basic MSD box or other brand of CD box and run a good set of points. Done. Points will last just about forever.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dragncar For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2021, 02:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What fuel? If it has alcohol you might need a richer idle or just off Idle mixture.
Possibly need to adjust the distributor springs, weights and advance with the carb. They are originally designed to work together and that relationship, when adjusted for the fuel, can work well.
Throwing whole units at it may not fix it and would cost money.
Unless you regularly go over 5k. A msd is a waste of money.

Old 09-28-2021, 06:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

To me it sounds like your carbs accelerator pump is not working as needed.
It needs to provide a good shot of fuel into the throttle bores with as little as a 1/16” of movement by the gas pedal.

Not having this taking place could be due to a accelerator pump itself being bad, the rod and arm that moves the pump being out of adjustment, or the fuel level in the carb being too low.
And it can also be a combo of all 3 of these!

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 09-28-2021, 11:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sounds a lot like a Q-jet that opens too fast, on an engine that's over cammed and under converted.

If that is the case... Just gotta learn how much/how far to push the loud pedal untill RPM's are high enough to open the carb all the way.

Kinda like teaching a kid to drive a stick shift
Clay

Old 09-28-2021, 12:07 PM

Recheck timing. Could try moving your distributor left or right 1/8 or 1/4 inch to see if that helps.

Old 09-28-2021, 01:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the replies, guys. When I have some time, I'm going to check some of these things.

Old 09-28-2021, 04:01 PM
Suspended

I had to get my tank sumped with two openings. I ran another 3/8" line using steel tubing, ran them both to a tee I installed into the mechanical fuel pump, then ran both lines from the sump to the tee..
Wow what a difference. I guarantee you will think somebody put a new engine in your car, one with more power... I was astounded at the extra power my 462 ( 6X-O41 ) was making after the install.. At 130 mph my 64 Pontiac wanted to keep marching, 2.56 posi..

Old 09-29-2021, 11:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

What type and I. D. Of carb??

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...