Old 04-22-2010, 11:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Has any one tried these compressors?

My 69 GTO needs help in the summer with its AC. Just doesnt get cold enough for Phx.
I found a compresssor called the Pro6TEN. Its supposed to bolt in place of an A6.
Heres a link http://www.oldairproducts.com/catalo...oducts_id=8391
Anyone tried these?

Old 04-25-2010, 12:39 PM

No sorry, I have not tried any substitute for an A6. IMHO, the A6 is about strong, and reliable a compressor as you can get. Sanden types may take less horsepower to turn, but they are based on the basic A6 design as far as I can see. That being said it may be a positive upgrade for your particular situation. What do the Old Air folks say?
Also wondering, have you had your A/C system evaluated by a professional in the area?
You my have a problem with the expansion valve not allowing enough refrigerant flow through the system, or it could be intermittently sticking, blocking the flow.
If it is sticking or restricting flow, often the outside of the affected area will freeze up in a very specific location.
I'm sure you have checked the usual suspects, improper refrigerant charge, correct pressures on high and low sides, temp door adjusted properly shutting off all heated air in the heater box with good weatherstrip on the temp blend door, bad or weak fan clutch and have a good fan shroud on the radiator.
Please keep us updated on your progress and good luck.
Al