Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 10-19-2018, 03:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default How much is too much disc rotor runout

I just bought some new AC Delco brake rotors and I am measuring .003 runout. Is that too much? I cant find a spec on them and Summit couldn't find a spec on them either.

Old 10-20-2018, 11:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

For your entertainment here is the response from AC Delco via Summit

"I was unable to get information on the run out specs for the rotors you purchased since GM considers that confidential and will not give that info to their vendors, including Summit, as well as the general public. As of now, it looks like I have exhausted all of our resources to get that information"

Old 10-20-2018, 02:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There should be some sort of a maximum allowable run-out or wear printed in the shop manual. Everybody that drives knows how a car with warped front rotors feels like when you press on your brakes. On older GM cars from the late 1960s and 1970s; the cars that have vented front disc/rear drum brakes, you can usually turn those front rotors once or twice on a lathe before they get too thin and then they need replaced.

On modern cars or cars with non-vented rotors such as Honda or Toyota with 4-wheel disc brakes they usually just tell you to replace them.

Last edited by Peter Serio; 10-20-2018 at 02:23 PM. Reason: spelling fix.
Old 10-20-2018, 04:02 PM
Senior Chief

Bruce,
As Pete stated a GM shop manual for your particular year will have the run out spec listed. Not sure what Delco/Summit was trying to say, it’s not some corporate secret!

I’m guessing the rotors are for the car shown in your profile pic. If so, for reference the GM manual for my 89 TA lists a max. lateral run out 0.005”. This car uses the same tapered roller wheel bearing setup as the early A-bodies so I would say the 0.003” is within limits.

If the rotors are for a hub/bearing set up the runout is a little tighter, example: 93 Chevy Lumina, 0.003”; 2003 GMC Envoy, 0.002”.

Old 10-21-2018, 12:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks guys. The rotors are for a 77 Trans Am. I don't have a shop manual. Ive been asking around and Im getting all kinds of different info. One told me you need a little runout to keep the pads from dragging. Others have told me they need to be straight as possible. Some tell me the spec is .0035 max. Others say .002. I guess I will just try them to see what happens.

Old 10-21-2018, 02:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

PA state inspection maximum rotor runout measured on the wear surface is .002. If you can feel it in the brake pedal, or steering wheel it's beyond .002.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 10-21-2018, 06:53 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Meyer View Post
Thanks guys. The rotors are for a 77 Trans Am. I don't have a shop manual. Ive been asking around and Im getting all kinds of different info. One told me you need a little runout to keep the pads from dragging. Others have told me they need to be straight as possible. Some tell me the spec is .0035 max. Others say .002. I guess I will just try them to see what happens.
I would give firebirdnation.com a quick try. They have a second gen section and hopefully someone has a shop manual or access to one. Every GM manual I have seen lists the max. runout spec for rotors.

Old 10-22-2018, 02:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just saw this on Summit. The Raybestos Rotors for this application say they are within .004 runout on the last paragraph of the overview. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/a...model/firebird